Speed UTV

We are talking about a Speed UTV, where the man behind it continual tells us his quality will be unmatched.  Then he rolls out a pre-production car that has the quality control of a Joyner.  LOL!

We already know Can Am does not have the best looking welds. 

When you get your Speed car and put 8,000 miles on it we can compare notes on what needed fixing and what broke.  That is if the unproven motor and drive train can hold up to that many miles. 

Yes I am doing things differently on my current X3.  Not because I need to, but because I want to do something different this go around.  Interestingly, the front end of my last X3 held up perfectly fine.  

Next you are going to try and convince us a Wildcat was a superior design.  LOL!  
You point to one crappy weld and compare them to Joyners, yet you don't seem to think there is anything wrong with Canam design or workmanship?

Talk about a double standard!

The 8,000 mi comparison sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully we'll be doing some riding together, so the mileage is mostly over the same terrain.

I wouldn't want you to rack up 8000 mi on jack stands.

:lol:

You point to one crappy weld and compare them to Joyners, yet you don't seem to think there is anything wrong with Canam design or workmanship?

The 8,000 mi comparison sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully we'll be doing some riding together, so the mileage is mostly over the same terrain.

Looks like you are the best driver in your group, and you go over the worst terrain as well, all us Can Am guys just keep it on the smooth trails. That’s what RG says on almost every Video, it’s the best by far and and all others are crap, I think that’s what gets on a lot of people’s nerves, just put out a great product and it will sell, I have my own business and I don’t bad mouth the competition, I just have better service and better quality work and everything takes care of itself. By the way I have 7,500 miles on my Can Am Max with Zero issues and have not put one dime into any gussets or any other upgrades, maybe I’m lucky or its just those smooth forest roads I drive on  😂

I have my own business and I don’t bad mouth the competition, I just have better service and better quality work and everything takes care of itself. By the way I have 7,500 miles on my Can Am Max with Zero issues and have not put one dime into any gussets or any other upgrades, maybe I’m lucky or its just those smooth forest roads I drive on  😂
You call it bad mouthing the competition, but how else is he supposed to show off the differences between the existing crop of UTVs and his product. Sure, some people can tell the differences just by seeing CAD drawings, but there are plenty of others who really don't know what the difference is between a ball joint and a uniball, or single shear vs double shear. Robby was educating people about those differences.

As far as your good luck driving 7500 mi with no issues, congratulations!

Sand Shark said the same thing at 7500 mi, until he took it to a shop at 8,000 mi, they removed the skid plate and told him he was the proud owner of a 2,000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

Reactions: JBL
I saw that at the ssss, oh wait a tic, no that one was black and had a bolt in it and allegedly was done by a robot and the robot had a virus, and was vehemently defended by a bunch of a$$ licking fan boys.   Silly me, I digress.  
Don't you have a 2 seater Aceco to go look at?

If someone else buys it while you're pulling your pud online, guess who's to blame...

no, not Robby!

[SIZE=.8125rem] [/SIZE] · 

Conner Gabrielson
[SIZE=.9375rem]Here is an example of we can train the robots to weld.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=.9375rem]ere is an example of we can train the robots to weld.[/SIZE]

241974077_6887815617911141_8278883751910352998_n.jpg

Here's a pic of a different set of welds on one of the Speed UTV cars. Notice it's on a lower a-arm, kind of an important part on a UTV, as opposed to the non structural weld featuring a bolt, which I believe was a heat shield added after the prototypes were built.

If there's anything comparable on an X3, please feel free to share a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
You call it bad mouthing the competition, but how else is he supposed to show off the differences between the existing crop of UTVs and his product. Sure, some people can tell the differences just by seeing CAD drawings, but there are plenty of others who really don't know what the difference is between a ball joint and a uniball, or single shear vs double shear. Robby was educating people about those differences.

As far as your good luck driving 7500 mi with no issues, congratulations!

Sand Shark said the same thing at 7500 mi, until he took it to a shop at 8,000 mi, they removed the skid plate and told him he was the proud owner of a 2,000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

I’ll keep you updated when I get to 8,000 miles and see if I have the same problem, you update me when you get 1 mile on your Speed and see how it’s going.

(2 yrs later, Still waiting.) 🤣

I’ll keep you updated when I get to 8,000 miles and see if I have the same problem, you update me when you get 1 mile on your Speed and see how it’s going.

(2 yrs later, Still waiting.) 🤣
I haven't been waiting 2 yrs. 

As far as progress reports, sure. I'll be honest about it, good or bad.

I haven't been waiting 2 yrs. 

As far as progress reports, sure. I'll be honest about it, good or bad.
Well I meant 2 years from now. LOL they all have there problems and I’m sure Speed will too, but for now if you want to drive a SXS it’s going to be one from the big boys good or bad. 

Well I meant 2 years from now. LOL they all have there problems and I’m sure Speed will too, but for now if you want to drive a SXS it’s going to be one from the big boys good or bad. 
When I get mine, I'm going to look it over very carefully and I'll post what I find, good or bad. I have nothing to hide.

As far as UTVs go, I'd rather wait 2 more yrs for a Speed UTV than settle for something else right now.

Guess I had not paid attention to that photo. So the level and quality of these cars and the amount of buyers you bring a car to a major show looking like this? So easy to make this look waaay nicer. That was quite a gap to fill in. All I have to say is: 

View attachment 14472

View attachment 14473
i would like to know what exactly went on here. it looks like it was welded with a stick welder in the parking lot the night before. if it was in a shop with a mig you would think they would just stack some dimes over the bolt to hide it.  or just fill the gap with weld 

i would like to know what exactly went on here. it looks like it was welded with a stick welder in the parking lot the night before. if it was in a shop with a mig you would think they would just stack some dimes over the bolt to hide it.  or just fill the gap with weld 
You might be exactly right as to how that happened. They were slapping some of these together right up until the last minute. I saw Daniel installing the muffler on one of them at about 10am Sat. morning.

That bracket supports a heat shield between the catalytic converter/muffler and the back of the engine. It's a recent change to the car, it's not on either prototype cars, but it is on the pre-production cars. I think it was added after the chassis was welded up but just before the SSSS. 

It was probably exactly what you said... that's the point.  Everybody is acting like it rolled off the assembly line like this, and RG is "okay" with it.  It probably was literally done in the parking lot last minute.  I'll post this again, since everyone ignored it: 

(I don't think the time-anchors work when the forum embeds the vid, so skip to 23:25)

"we're not done, these things aren't perfect... when you look at this car, this is still not acceptable to me.  It'll be nicer than this, it'll be cleaner than this..."

The point is, "the weld seen around the world" has no bearing on what we'll see in production.  However, how much had to get slapped together just before the show DOES give a significant indication that actual production is still far, far away...

-TJ

I never said the Can Am design was perfect nor have I said Can Am puts things together perfect.   

There is no double standard.  We can all agree some of those welds are not a good look when a person pounds away for over a year about  quality and excellence.  Yes we all know it is a pre-production car and they are not going to be perfect.  

Hopefully we do get to ride together so I can see the Speed car in action.  

My one friend that did have a deposit sold it over a year ago because he wanted a rail.  Have another friend that has a deposit and he will be a good test dummy.  He can break anything.  Lol!  His is a really high master number so he won’t be seeing it this season.  

Here's a pic of a different set of welds on one of the Speed UTV cars. Notice it's on a lower a-arm, kind of an important part on a UTV, as opposed to the non structural weld featuring a bolt, which I believe was a heat shield added after the prototypes were built.

If there's anything comparable on an X3, please feel free to share a pic.
At least when can am weld bots go rogue, they gusset the area with tin foil and rivets! Who cant give them credit for that?

Looks like you are the best driver in your group, and you go over the worst terrain as well, all us Can Am guys just keep it on the smooth trails. That’s what RG says on almost every Video, it’s the best by far and and all others are crap, I think that’s what gets on a lot of people’s nerves, just put out a great product and it will sell, I have my own business and I don’t bad mouth the competition, I just have better service and better quality work and everything takes care of itself. By the way I have 7,500 miles on my Can Am Max with Zero issues and have not put one dime into any gussets or any other upgrades, maybe I’m lucky or its just those smooth forest roads I drive on  😂
Driving Miss Daisy are you

Back