2 seat: $28 999
Base model's ?

El Diablo

Today's Cost:

Base                 $30,000

Le                     $34,999

RG                    $37,999

I have many thoughts on this subject, here a couple:

I have this weird theory, the vocal haters, the buffs, the meme pages, the constant infatuation by naysayers with no skin in the game, the weld heard around the world...

For some reason I think this is by design.

How genius would it be for this to be all done on purpose and with purpose?

Can this be a case of there's no such thing as bad press?

Is the bolt welded in really that big of a deal to be named the weld heard around the world? I have seen sketchier chit on class 1 and trophy trucks that were finished much less on slapped together pre production cars.

I just find it all too convenient. Could the bolt be welded there on complete purpose in such an obvious location to generate such widespread talk?

Has anybody in the last 12 months cared about what Canam or Polaris is doing? Much less Yamaha or Honda?

The evidence says no, good or bad ALL the talk, rumors, props, hatred etc has been toward Speed.

Could this all be deliberate?

I haven't heard of one preorder buyer saying "welp, that does it for me, not buying because of that weld or those flimsy doors."

They seem to be holding firm and expecting better when finalized. 

Have you or has anybody else?

Could this be marketing ingenuity at its finest? 

But here ya go for what you asked.

They did say Q4 2020, never Q4 2019.

I should know, I screenshotted this in OCT19. I pre-ordered in SEP19.

View attachment 14490
I don't think it was done on purpose.  I truly believe they scrambled to get some cars done to show people.   If he showed up with just the one off test car and that race chassis I do think even some of the deposit holders would of been very disappointed.  Can not show up empty handed to arguably the biggest show your buyers attend.

Per Robby's IG post that bolt must of fell off the fixture and the robot just welded over it.  He claims the frame was laying flat on the fixture.  

Even worse: the flip top means they'll be EVEN LOUDER since they can be pointed outward...
The flip top is party time for the sand highway cruisers. 

Did you see the Rockford Fosgate Ranger with the enclosed cab and a ton of speakers?  Now that was party time at night at Olds with a/c and heat.  LOL!! 

So people were complaining about the welds and apparently missed the nice crack in the casing of the trans on one of the pre-production cars.  Could be why that pre-production car was missing axles.  Looks like they have some casting issues to iron out, if not already done.

I am guessing most of the parts they threw on the cars were 1st or 2nd go around samples from the vendors. 

broke 2.jpg

broke 1.png

The flip top is party time for the sand highway cruisers. 

Did you see the Rockford Fosgate Ranger with the enclosed cab and a ton of speakers?  Now that was party time at night at Olds with a/c and heat.  LOL!! 
The stereos...  On one hand, amazing.  No way back in the day anything this side of $5k in 1990s dollars ($40k now? LOL) would make that kind of noise.   On the other hand, please shut them off.  LOL.

Had a group drive by us (we stopped to wait for a guy).  I was screwing around "duning" while we waited and I could hear every single on of their stereos over their SxSs AND my unmuffled SR20 (just a turbo as a "muffler") clear enough to understand the Spanish as a non-native speaker.  Out of control.  

I hear you.

I just think the chances of a robot welding in a bolt that happens to fall into the gap to be welded are incredibly low.
I agree.   Reality is if the frame rolled off the line during actual production it would of been tossed in the pile of reject parts.  

Overall the frame looks good and like I said the front bulkhead is slick looking in person. 

The stereos...  On one hand, amazing.  No way back in the day anything this side of $5k in 1990s dollars ($40k now? LOL) would make that kind of noise.   On the other hand, please shut them off.  LOL.

Had a group drive by us (we stopped to wait for a guy).  I was screwing around "duning" while we waited and I could hear every single on of their stereos over their SxSs AND my unmuffled SR20 (just a turbo as a "muffler") clear enough to understand the Spanish as a non-native speaker.  Out of control.  
We said the same thing about the quality of the sound they get out of the systems.  To this day one of the funny moments in the dunes was between Olds and Osborne.  We stopped to take a break and a few minutes after we stopped 4 fat dudes in rhino come cruising by blasting their music having a good old time.  You could hear the stereo long before there rhino was in sight.   

Back