Speed UTV

I think people are entirely missing the point.  This was a batch of pre-pre-production cars slapped together over some very long days just before SSSS.  The panel gaps, the "weld seen around the world" etc. are not indicative of what production will look like, or even production QC.  What these things ARE indicative of are is that we're way further from production (calendar-wise) than has been said (again).  Anybody who looks at these cars and thinks that is what the panel gaps and welds are going to look like in production is either just a troll, or doesn't understand what these cars are.  Anyone who looks at these cars and thinks they'll have their car this year is equally off-base. 

-TJ
I think the point your missing is that not everyone has the insight that we do about pre-production vs this is what your getting. Can we at least all agree that taking the time to grind out that one weld and re-weld it before paint and fixing the door alignment issues would have given them a way better showing than what they gave? I mean honestly, an hour of weld repair and a few hours of door alignment and this conversation is not happening!

The weld had a bolt in it...  I mean...  Dude.  

A bolt.

We're not talking about boogers.  We're not talking about spider holes.  There was a giant gap blown in the tube which had a bolt booger-welded into it to "fix" it.  Could've at least hit it with a grinder...  LOL
But was it a shoulder bolt?

Attention: This was humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point your missing is that not everyone has the insight that we do about pre-production vs this is what your getting. Can we at least all agree that taking the time to grind out that one weld and re-weld it before paint and fixing the door alignment issues would have given them a way better showing than what they gave? I mean honestly, an hour of weld repair and a few hours of door alignment and this conversation is not happening!

(I don't think the time-anchors work when the forum embeds the vid, so skip to 23:25)

"we're not done, these things aren't perfect... when you look at this car, this is still not acceptable to me.  It'll be nicer than this, it'll be cleaner than this..."

I feel like ^this^ could not be more clear. 

It's easy to sit back and say "honestly, an hour of weld repair..." etc.  But do you think RG actually *knew* that bolt was there?  At best he probably had that gap on a long list of things to fix he threw at whichever dude he thought might have a free-minute to fix it, and that dude made the (terrible) decision to hack that together that way. 

These cars came together in the last week, with many people thrashing on them and there's just no way RG was able to check every single one top to bottom.  Sometimes you just run out of days, and hours in them.  Sure, in a perfect world they'd have a decent fab guy just cut that whole bar out, make it right, and weld it in.  But that chit probably got done at 3am the night before the show, and it was on a transport truck before RG even saw it.  

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
If they can claim that one little weld is the end of the world, I can claim it costs $10k to fix everything wrong with the Canned Ham.        :lol:
Are you one of the Investors in this "Project" with Speed? I'm thinking man this dude must have some serious coin involved here. The way you swing from Speed's nuts is entertaining as hell. I thank you. This thread gets almost 3 new pages a day and a lot of it is defending Speed.
Thanks again...  :coffee:  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even those who don't pay attention to what RG clearly said, even those who don't plan on buying one, even trolls.

I'm sure within the next 2 episodes Robby will mention how many new orders were placed at the SSSS and how many people canceled.

We'll let those numbers decide whether it was a success or a huge flop. From the comments on FB, the Speed UTV was by far the hit of the SSSS.

In the big scope of things how many of the sign and drive guys would even notice anyway I am saying not many if any. The people who are picking this  a part are guys use to looking and such things. Would it have been better for them to pay more attention to Qc on these pre production units sure but in the end will it really make any difference don’t think so  they will sell their share in the end no matter what.

Reactions: JBL
Are you one of the Investors in this "Project" with Speed? I'm thinking man this dude must have some serious coin involved here. The way you swing from Speed's nuts is entertaining as hell. I thank you. This thread gets almost 3 new pages a day and a lot of it is defending Speed.
Thanks again...  :coffee:  
Yes, I have a deposit on one. I don't swing from anyone's nuts, I point out the truth when people distort it.

Remember back in 2005 -2007 when people were screaming about how sh1tty their Weekend Warriors were being built and throwing you under the bus even though you only sold it to them, you weren't in charge of the service dept.? You went to bat for a lot of people and helped them out, even though it wasn't your job.

I spent more time defending you on this website than I have supporting this "project." Why? Because I knew how much you had helped people and I felt that you were deserving of having someone speak up and tell the truth against people who were blaming you for their problems. I felt it was important to spread the truth then, as I do now.

I wasn't swinging from your nuts back then either. As I recall, you were grateful someone was telling the truth. There's a big difference.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even those who don't pay attention to what RG clearly said, even those who don't plan on buying one, even trolls.

I'm sure within the next 2 episodes Robby will mention how many new orders were placed at the SSSS and how many people canceled.

We'll let those numbers decide whether it was a success or a huge flop. From the comments on FB, the Speed UTV was by far the hit of the SSSS.
What if an equal amount get canceled to the amount that put down a deposit at the show?  I doubt many cancelled yet.   I also doubt there were many deposits taken at the show.  There is no incentive to put a deposit down now versus finding someone selling their spot.  Getting a spot now gets you a car when?????   Might as well wait as see how the first round of cars pan out.  

In the big scope of things how many of the sign and drive guys would even notice anyway I am saying not many if any. The people who are picking this  a part are guys use to looking and such things. Would it have been better for them to pay more attention to Qc on these pre production units sure but in the end will it really make any difference don’t think so  they will sell their share in the end no matter what.
About as often as they noticed their RZR was on fire, or their X3 bent something.   :biggrin:

At no point did I say Robby was responsible for overseeing every aspect of the build. I would expect that they would have a QC going over it. So if they do have a QC and these things weren’t a big enough deal to address than that is a lot scarier outcome than I was originally talking about. As for these being built the night before, how where you guys informed of this? Who said they were a slam build? Also, yes clearly Robby says they are pre-production and not to his par, but not every person that saw those cars were there for his speech. This is the only social media sight I go on and I’m sure I’m. It the only one. So with that said, if I didn’t see this video on here I never would have seen it. How Monday people saw the cars, didn’t hear his speech, and won’t see the video? Finally, I’m sure Robby will come out and say how many he sold at the show. We will never know how many decided against the car from what they saw and there’s no way he can even know that. Not to mention, any number he says can be complete crap but how would we know? In the end, the only people so far that are “ all good “ with what they saw are people that are invested with deposits and add ons. Mainly because they need to be. Again, I realize it’s pre-production, I know the repairs will be made, I know it will be a bad azz car when it makes it to the sales floor, I know when it makes it to the sales floor I will still want one, but the issues were not a good showing and should have been repaired.

Again, I realize it’s pre-production, I know the repairs will be made, I know it will be a bad azz car when it makes it to the sales floor, I know when it makes it to the sales floor I will still want one, but the issues were not a good showing and should have been repaired.
You are the only one who didn't hear the speech and you're the only one who is only on gd.com.

If the part in bold is true, then the part underlined makes no difference whatsoever, since you DID see that weld and you still said:

it will be a bad azz car when it makes it to the sales floor, I know when it makes it to the sales floor I will still want one

You are the only one who didn't hear the speech and you're the only one who is only on gd.com.

If the part in bold is true, then the part underlined makes no difference whatsoever, since you DID see that weld and you still said:

You do have to admit that the bolt weld is not a good look whether pre-production or not.  The other welds and fitment of the plastics whatever no big deal.  That was some grade "8" SEMA stuff to get it to the show.  

The flimsy feel of the doors and the tailgate was more of an issue for me as the plastics should be of production quality by now.  They certainly did not match the stout look of the car. 

They have plenty of time to address the issues and get the quality up to what Robby has been talking about for 2 years. 

Back