Speed UTV

Why do you say "a long way"? The doors and tailgate need thicker plastics and need to be aligned better - I chalk up the alignment to rushing these out the door for the show. 

The "weld seen around the world" isn't going to happen again. Also, even though it might be ugly, I'm positive it's not going to break, it's not even in a structural area. 

What else do you feel needs improvement? Those 2 issues are very minor and could be resolved in a couple of days.
Didn't see them, but if the doors are too thin and don't align correctly, that will need to be corrected in tooling, which will then be re-vetted and then production ramps up.

Stuff like this on a mass-produced product takes time.  Months of it unless he's going to make it rain with expedite costs (given his volume, and the current state of the supply chain, it's going to be Hurricane Katrina levels of raining cash).  That's why I was skeptical about the "final production" posts Robbie made last month.  He's doing as I said he was: vetting pieces from suppliers for fitment, then providing feedback on go/no go.  If everything was perfect (which we now know isn't the case), then he'd place orders for mass assembly. 

Looks like some re-tooling is in order (always the case).  Hopefully they're not "long poles in the tent" and he can move forward with real production soon and these suppliers can catch up just in time.  Otherwise, see the Ford plant's parking lot. :biggrin:

He has a point here!!! Just sayn
That wasn't a structural part, and the weld was probably stronger than it needed to be. Did it look sh1tty? Yes. Rewelding it wouldn't have done anything but make it look better. I've seen plenty of "caterpillars" on name brand sand rails that people are reselling now for $85k and up, so in the big scheme of things, this one weld out of thousands out of 3 pre-production cars is like a freckle on Kate Upton's arse.

Go ahead, kick Kate Upton out of bed. I dare you.      :lol:

You mean those guys spending $10k slapping gussets, brackets, braces and new suspension parts on their brand new Canams are all doing it wrong??

Heaven forbid!!
I have no horse in this race.... Been thinking about buying someone out....BUT....

Here is how I see it.... You have the biggest Sand show... You know you are behind on everything because supply issues, Covid and so forth.... You know all eyes are gonna be on what you bring out there, including the competition.

And you bring out a car looking like that? In my opinion, that was a rookie move. That pre production car should have been tits!!! If it was me, I would have been burning the midnight oil to have those welds right and the plastics straight. If that meant not racing in the 400, then so be it... This was a huge deal for Speed UTV and in my opinion, There were alot of great things on the car, but the "glaring" things ruined the presentation for me. 

Don't know if anyone noticed but the front arms are bolted to the front dif. This could be a real expensive fix if you rip a arm off. The show units should never been brought to the show, they were just slapped together. I'm sure this will be a real good unit when they make them, but it's going to be a heavy dog. Probably great for the dirt but a turd in the sand, I think it will drive like mom's station wagon in the dunes, but time will tell. I hope it works out.

Don't know if anyone noticed but the front arms are bolted to the front dif. This could be a real expensive fix if you rip a arm off. The show units should never been brought to the show, they were just slapped together. I'm sure this will be a real good unit when they make them, but it's going to be a heavy dog. Probably great for the dirt but a turd in the sand, I think it will drive like mom's station wagon in the dunes, but time will tell. I hope it works out.
The front bulkhead/diff is modular.  If you some how manage to rip out the tabs you can replace that portion of the bulkhead.

I think we're getting pretty close. Maybe the first few cars will be delivered by the end of Dec., maybe Jan. Who knows. I do know worrying or praying won't make any difference.

Robby answered some questions on Friday night about realistic delivery. His comment was that we will be able to see some cars delivered in time for Thanksgiving (not October as was asked though). When I quantified about Diablo's also, he stated a firm not this year. Hope that helps and hope it is not just an empty wish.

On another aspect, I spoke with one of the radio suppliers and they told me that the Speed orders haven't been placed yet but they were well stocked up in anticipation of the upcoming order.

The thing that bothers me about the bolt/weld is that it was there for us to see.  Option 1 is they didn't see it, which is a worrying thought.  Option 2 is that they did see it and chose to proceed with showing the car anyway.  If it were me, I would have pulled that car from the show (they already had like 3 others) before I allowed the world to see that.  Especially knowing about the close scrutiny those cars would be under.  I have no doubt they will fix the welding issue and there won't be random bolts in production welds, that's not my point.  It's just concerning to me that they showed the car that way. Just from a PR perspective, I think it was poor choice. All that said, I saw a lot of cool aspects to the car and there was certainly a lot of interest and buzz. 

I have no horse in this race.... Been thinking about buying someone out....BUT....

Here is how I see it.... You have the biggest Sand show... You know you are behind on everything because supply issues, Covid and so forth.... You know all eyes are gonna be on what you bring out there, including the competition.

And you bring out a car looking like that? In my opinion, that was a rookie move. That pre production car should have been tits!!! If it was me, I would have been burning the midnight oil to have those welds right and the plastics straight. If that meant not racing in the 400, then so be it... This was a huge deal for Speed UTV and in my opinion, There were alot of great things on the car, but the "glaring" things ruined the presentation for me. 
Bringing a pre-production car that has been scrutinized with a magnifying glass, while the production units won't be, would be misleading.

I am glad they are not hiding any flaws and I am glad they are not showing us "only the best".

It is all out there for us to touch and see and feel and provide feedback. Whether it is perfect or not does not matter, it is real. I'd rather they show us the real progress, than lie to us with bringing the perfect pre-production models.

Imagine walking into a model home that was absolutely perfect, then a few months later, you walk into your own house that you purchased and it doesn't match the quality of the model home you toured. You'd be bothered, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to those that went to the show, saw it in person and reported back.

That is what GD.com is about.

All the other banter is just fun that you can't get away with elsewhere  :lol:   people will start to Social Media stalk you, get you cancelled :scared:

That wasn't a structural part, and the weld was probably stronger than it needed to be. Did it look sh1tty? Yes. Rewelding it wouldn't have done anything but make it look better. I've seen plenty of "caterpillars" on name brand sand rails that people are reselling now for $85k and up, so in the big scheme of things, this one weld out of thousands out of 3 pre-production cars is like a freckle on Kate Upton's arse.

Go ahead, kick Kate Upton out of bed. I dare you.      :lol:
That is one weld on a pre-production car that your taking to one of the biggest events for the big reveal. Your letting everybody see what you wouldn't let them see up close and personal in two years....

And that is the best you had to offer?  Guess his QC guy must not of been brought up to speed just yet...

Your telling your audience that you chit isn't going to stink and how much better your stuff is going to be. You go on and on about QC and the first thing they find is that. 

Oh but next batch will be so much better.

He promised an Aluminacraft and he rolled out one that he mated with a Joyner and the best you got is  pre-production, not important spot, the one I am getting will be better.

Well I sure hope so because he didn't deliver Kate Upton he delivered Kate Crackton 

Imagine walking into a model home that was absolutely perfect, then a few months later, you walk into your own house that you purchased and it doesn't match the quality of the model home you toured. You'd be bothered, right?
Imagine walking into a model home where the doors don't shut right where there is a half inch caulk line in between your kitchen cabinets. Where the garage door flexed when you shut the door into the house.

Would you buy it? would you be rethinking your deposit? Or would you be calling the contractor oh wait you can't call the contractor, he will sell your house to somebody else.

I think people are entirely missing the point.  This was a batch of pre-pre-production cars slapped together over some very long days just before SSSS.  The panel gaps, the "weld seen around the world" etc. are not indicative of what production will look like, or even production QC.  What these things ARE indicative of are is that we're way further from production (calendar-wise) than has been said (again).  Anybody who looks at these cars and thinks that is what the panel gaps and welds are going to look like in production is either just a troll, or doesn't understand what these cars are.  Anyone who looks at these cars and thinks they'll have their car this year is equally off-base. 

-TJ

If they can claim that one little weld is the end of the world, I can claim it costs $10k to fix everything wrong with the Canned Ham.        :lol:
The weld had a bolt in it...  I mean...  Dude.  

A bolt.

We're not talking about boogers.  We're not talking about spider holes.  There was a giant gap blown in the tube which had a bolt booger-welded into it to "fix" it.  Could've at least hit it with a grinder...  LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Yore drunk Robot, go home.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Back