Speed UTV

Hey, leave those kids alone!! Them welds will get better. 😁 In all honesty I would say 90% of those welds looked good. The doors Fitment issues are minor. RG acknowledged that. Remember these are PRE-PRODUCTION units. First run off the assembly line so what would you expect? No other mfg shows you their preproduction units??  
The orange and white one was probably the worst of the bunch with regards to plastic fitment.  Didn’t really notice some of the flaws in the other cars. Comparison pics. 

BE533C99-E0CC-4C92-873C-5FF6C10F368D.jpeg

8FBBF1DC-2189-4188-B68B-997626B01C18.jpeg

3CFFD88E-7746-4A16-98ED-05A36B74CDE1.jpeg

8A51D760-4085-409D-86C6-DFF27D936861.jpeg

422EFC0D-2AB6-4861-94E3-2046CA30C2EA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw these pics posted on another site, supposedly taken at the SSSS.

View attachment 14259

View attachment 14260
Looks like the robots do what my buddy does when he screws up: just keep welding to fill the hole he made. 

Also: is that a bolt in the weld?

Here are some more pictures 

View attachment 14292
I’ve seen that coupler before:

image.jpeg

Yes, I agree, it does look from that era. It is functional.

What would you suggest they use instead?

I've seen rocker switches in other SxSs for lights, but it would take 2 of them to replace that switch.
Still used in everyone but Japanese and apparently Chevy. I prefer them. 

Robby mentioned a V8 version in one of the videos, but he didn't mention what kind of trans.

I saw this posted on FB, Bufu is outraged!!

242355602_511775056649411_2325897857274229871_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Robby mentioned a V8 version in one of the videos, but he didn't mention what kind of trans.
I spoke to Todd about that on Friday...He said its already being built (LS) and it's a 6 speed 4wd. I'm Curious on the combo to get the FWD aspect. Maybe something close to the SST for front driveline with a rear or mid engine? I'm also guessing the frame tubing may need to be thicker or upgraded for more weight and/or torque? Maybe Johnson Valley 2022 Diablo unicorn?

Was there Friday for the big unveil but didnt get to see it up close till after 8PM after we checked out the Show with 2/3 the Vendors from previous years.  Guys at CanAm and Polaris tents didnt give me a time of day when I rolled up wearing a Speed ball cap LMAO.  Am I a cool aid drinker for this Speed car? No, but I bought it cause aint no way in hell I would buy a RZR.  CanAm never fixed their issues despite all the complaints from owners. So I figured Speed was the way to go.

It was great to finally see the Unicorn many of you laughed at in person.  It does exist and though it may not be here till last few weeks of the duning season so be it.  Robby is not even worried about fixing the little things that need to be fixed.  Hell I sat in the 4 seat prototype 3 weeks before the show and thought to myself damn what I get myself into.  These were "Pre-Production" units and many folks fail to recognize that and still hate.  But when these hit the dirt/dunes it will be a game changer. 

Some are jabbing at cost going up, well what you expect,  What hasnt gone up?  I tried buying an X3 in 2019 for show price at 25k.  Dealers laughed at me in 2020 and now even 2021 for that price!  So glad Im locked in at early prices for sure and just have to ride dirbikes a few months longer.  Dont hate if you have not seen this in person, It is solid compared to the competition and I hope they see this and step up their quality.  Then lets see they crying when they are now 40k and up.   

I spoke to Todd about that on Friday...He said its already being built (LS) and it's a 6 speed 4wd. I'm Curious on the combo to get the FWD aspect. Maybe something close to the SST for front driveline with a rear or mid engine? I'm also guessing the frame tubing may need to be thicker or upgraded for more weight and/or torque? Maybe Johnson Valley 2022 Diablo unicorn?
Wow! Sounds like it's going to be really capable!

Speaking of the guys from team Polaris, they were there at the unveiling and didn’t look to happy. Check out their faces at the :59:45 mark. 

Also at the 23 min mark he clearly Says they’re NOT  PERFECT YET. 

Left foot rest looks close like an RZR, I'm 6'4", has anyone sat in one to see how they fit? There is no way he is gonna sell this thing for any less than 50k (prob closer to 60K) when it's all said and done, deposit holders if you get your car for the original price I will be surprised, that thing is a beast, I can see RG coming to all you guys and say we need more money, if you don't want to pay we will refund your money and sell to someone else.
Saw some bigger guys getting in and out of it. Asked how tall they were one was 6’4” the other 6’5” both said they had plenty of room and could even slide the seat forward a bit and still be comfortable. No mention of the foot rest being in the way. 

8 minutes ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Speaking of the guys from team Polaris, they were there at the unveiling and didn’t look to happy. Check out their faces at the :59:45 mark. 

Also at the 23 min mark he clearly Says they’re NOT  PERFECT YET. 

The look on those Polaris guys' faces is what is called "the look of someone who just died inside." They just saw something that shook the very foundation of their world and they know they're not at the top of the heap.

The look on those Polaris guys' faces is what is called "the look of someone who just died inside." They just saw something that shook the very foundation of their world and they know they're not at the top of the heap.
Yup, those looks were priceless. 🤣

The more I think about this, the more I'm reminded of a KOH style vehicle built by John Mosely of Mosebuilt. It was a mid engine design with a Toyota 4 cyl. engine backwards with the factory trans bolted up to it. The driveshaft went forward and connected to the rear diff of the Toyota used for the front diff. with cv joints adapted to it. Those were connected to (IIRC) Ford or Chevy front hubs from a 4wd and Chevy bearings or something like that - off the shelf parts you could buy at any autoparts store. The transfer case connected to the rear diff. which was actually a Toyota front diff. This put all of the weight in the center and the thing had massive articulation, aided by the front end and rear end were sloped upward, it didn't have a flat skid plate. It also had insane entry and exit clearance. They ran it on propane in a semi-transparent fiberglass propane tank, so fuel slosh wasn't a problem. He used really long torsion bars for springs, so ride height could be adjusted with a wrench and they ran Bilstein pickup truck shocks, nothing expensive. The thing crawled over rocks and ran through trails fantastic!

The rear hubs were the same as the front hubs with fixed rods instead of tierods. They were planning on adding rear steer to it later on, at which time they'd just replace the rods with tierods attached to a power steering unit. There was a lot of innovation in that vehicle and it used all street truck parts for low cost.

Back