Speed UTV

This is a post from the car's owner in the shootout.

"Here is the new thread you can bash on me for removing the Speed from the shootout!

You are Damned if you do and you are damned if you don’t in this group I swear lol!

You all have turned something very fun and exciting into so much drama!

1. There is nothing wrong with my car!

2. Speed does not feel that we did a proper Dyno test on my car, and in fairness to them We did the test at 170 deg, because that’s what I was told by Speed is the correct oil temp for power.

However now having close to 200mi I can tell you 190 deg is when the car wakes up. So if you do a Dyno test, do it at 190deg!

3. Speed does not feel that we did a proper brake test. You can be the judge of that or you can all wait until Speed comes out and try to smash our track times, and they said they would do it with Stock brakes, not Willwoods.

Speed is a New company, they have more riding on then the line than your curiosity, The car is really great and my opinion is that the car needs refining in the Steering and Brakes. I guess the steering and brakes are made for racers and not the average joe that is used to an EPS system and more sensitive brakes like the other brands.

So if You were Me would you want to wait for Speed to come out to the track and try to beat our lap times and give the group a proper explanation on how these systems on the car works,

OR leave the car in the shootout?

I’ve been super open about the car. The worst thing about it is the drama from all sides.

You can message me, ask questions, whatever, I’ve even let people drive my car and they are stoked!"
So how does a car make a bunch more power at 190° versus 170°? Been around engines a long time and this does not make sense to me.

So how does a car make a bunch more power at 190° versus 170°? Been around engines a long time and this does not make sense to me.
I assume there's a warmup routine where it runs a subpar map to get up to temp quicker...

But even on new OE cars that run nearly self-aware ECMs, I haven't seen enough dropoff in power to make the Speed have anywhere near what the Pro R and Maverick R are making.  Usually it's just a little richer...

Probably built into the tune on the computer.

I assume there's a warmup routine where it runs a subpar map to get up to temp quicker...

But even on new OE cars that run nearly self-aware ECMs, I haven't seen enough dropoff in power to make the Speed have anywhere near what the Pro R and Maverick R are making.  Usually it's just a little richer...
Makes sense.

2. Speed does not feel that we did a proper Dyno test on my car, and in fairness to them We did the test at 170 deg, because that’s what I was told by Speed is the correct oil temp for power.

However now having close to 200mi I can tell you 190 deg is when the car wakes up. So if you do a Dyno test, do it at 190deg!
We have had a Mustang dyno in our shop for many years. You always get a vehicle up to full temp before tuning. A dyno builds a lot of heat and quick. So what are these guys doing? Letting it cool below normal oil operating temp and then quickly making a pull? Like I said this makes no sense.  And for the tune to change at a 20 degree difference.  I am not buying that. Think of every time you stop after a dune run. Motors and oil temps cool way down even in 10-15 minutes. You take off and the temp is always lower. Then it warms up. On my Funco I have a toggle on my engine oil cooler pump and I wait for the oil to hit 180 and then turn on the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had a Mustang dyno in our shop for many years. You always get a vehicle up to full temp before tuning. A dyno builds a lot of heat and quick. So what are these guys doing? Letting it cool below normal oil operating temp and then quickly making a pull? Like I said this makes no sense.  And for the tune to change at a 20 degree difference.  I am not buying that. Think of every time you stop after a dune run. Motors and oil temps cool way down even in 10-15 minutes. You take off and the temp is always lower. Then it warms up. On my Funco I have a toggle on my engine oil cooler pump and I wait for the oil to hit 180 and then turn on the pump.
Yep, and should’ve done multiple runs. I’ve always had to wait for chit to cool down, not warm up other than the first time. 

Best thermal efficiency I've heard is close to 200 degrees. One of the reasons modern engines are designed to run at higher temps. That and emissions. But I guess if your more efficient then you have less emissions. Win win, right?  But then aren't they talking oil temp and not coolant temp?

Best thermal efficiency I've heard is close to 200 degrees. One of the reasons modern engines are designed to run at higher temps. That and emissions. But I guess if your more efficient then you have less emissions. Win win, right?  But then aren't they talking oil temp and not coolant temp?
Derp. I thought he was talking coolant temps…

Does this car have VTEC or some sort of VVT setup? If not, I don’t see any way 170* oil matters vs 190* oil. 

Viscosity for 10w40 (50 isn’t much different):

IMG_3008.jpeg

170*F is 76*C, 190F is 87C. Super flat part of the curve. 

Derp. I thought he was talking coolant temps…

Does this car have VTEC or some sort of VVT setup? If not, I don’t see any way 170* oil matters vs 190* oil. 

Viscosity for 10w40 (50 isn’t much different):

View attachment 82743

170*F is 76*C, 190F is 87C. Super flat part of the curve. 
yup - complete BS  - That would having the ECM pull timing until the oil temp hits 190 and any other unrealistic BS... I believe that as much as I believe somehow his magic clutch only works with e85...   Gotta go Santa and tooth fairy  are stopping  for dinner ,,,

He lost - its slower in a drag race, it needs e85 maybe and a new tune to keep up -  its 1.0 product with good suspension, its not a UNICORN, its just a nice SxS -  no amount of EGO is changing that

yup - complete BS  - That would having the ECM pull timing until the oil temp hits 190 and any other unrealistic BS... I believe that as much as I believe somehow his magic clutch only works with e85...   Gotta go Santa and tooth fairy  are stopping  for dinner ,,,

He lost - its slower in a drag race, it needs e85 maybe and a new tune to keep up -  its 1.0 product with good suspension, its not a UNICORN, its just a nice SxS -  no amount of EGO is changing that
Spot on! 

Back