Speed UTV

You can see the lower arm mount in the back is still on the car....and the lower arm is well, Not.  
Yep.  Looks like it broke just outside the mount on the rear and they disassembled/removed it at camp/pits/whatever.  Looks like it limped back at least.  I assume if this is a common problem, an easy brace would be to connect the front and rear mounts together. Could just be that whoever was driving REALLY ran out of talent.  Could be the design has a flaw.  Guess we'll find out.

One thing I'm noticing: the whole GD front end isn't torn apart. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Patent info here. 

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/20230271496

View attachment 79710

View attachment 79711

Interesting.  I assume there's some sort of slipyoke in the rear-facing axles.  If not, yeesh.  Any bushing deflection will result in tears.

I don't see any accomodation for misalignment in the axleshafts on the hub side.  Wonder if deflection of the trailing arm will cause issues with the gears separating...?

View attachment 79709

Going to need to have a lot of support in those trailing arms and the portal assembly to make sure those gears don't flex apart (bearing on the end of the pinion will help with this, but it's in a crowded-looking spot).  Since the gearing is located in the suspension, all torque loads will need to be carried by the suspension, which will be interesting with a semi-trailing arm since it has no vertical separation.  

Reminds me of Vemco's V-drive:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/the_vemco_v-drive_system/

View attachment 79712

View attachment 79713
It looks like torque from the left driveshaft (applied in the direction that would propel the vehicle forward) would compress the suspension on that side and lift the L/R tire while torque from the right driveshaft would have the opposite effect and push the R/R tire to the ground. Similar to the effect the driveshaft has on a centrally located differential on a traditional straight axle lifting the tire on the right side and pushing the left one down when torque is applied. It seems like in this case the influence from the driveshaft would be more dramatic and make it hard to control.

There was a reporter/media person who stated they hit a rock and exploded a right front tire and there was a tiny bend in the arm.  People are saying the one in the picture is a different car then the one the media person wrote about.

Then there are some saying these are all pre-production cars and Can Am made changes to the production arms.

All I know is that the spindles are intact and the double shear mounting points seem to be really strong.  

Could be a fluke think or we will find out if the lower arm has a weak link. 

Rest assured the Speed faithful are having a field day with this.  LOL! 

There was a reporter/media person who stated they hit a rock and exploded a right front tire and there was a tiny bend in the arm.  People are saying the one in the picture is a different car then the one the media person wrote about.

Then there are some saying these are all pre-production cars and Can Am made changes to the production arms.

All I know is that the spindles are intact and the double shear mounting points seem to be really strong.  

Could be a fluke think or we will find out if the lower arm has a weak link. 

Rest assured the Speed faithful are having a field day with this.  LOL! 
Foaming at the mouth I'm sure. :biggrin:

Let’s see, Can Am sends out some 30 to 40 cars with of the hardest riding mofos and gives them free reign to abuse the hell out of the cars and one car manages to break an arm. 

speed guys all lose their chit. 

speed attempts to deliver 10 cars on a trail ride my 06 Rhino could do with my 12 year old daughter at the wheel and 30% of the cars do not finish. 

speed guys all say it’s just part of the growing process. 

Let’s see, Can Am sends out some 30 to 40 cars with of the hardest riding mofos and gives them free reign to abuse the hell out of the cars and one car manages to break an arm. 

speed guys all lose their chit. 

speed attempts to deliver 10 cars on a trail ride my 06 Rhino could do with my 12 year old daughter at the wheel and 30% of the cars do not finish. 

speed guys all say it’s just part of the growing process. 
It was a banner day on the forums over there I'm sure.

2a534598f3cf31333b3db2e0033125bc.jpg

To steal from @Crusty  :biggrin:

I’ve been out of the SPEED loop for some time, but the video of them lifted up made me think the darn RZRs have a poor design and significant body roll 

abc
Please see the new Can Am Maverick R.   Also despite the video RG showed a shootout had the Pro R edge out the Speed UTV.   If you drive a Pro R you sill see the body roll is minimal. 

Oh not much has changed in Speedland other than he has delivered some cars and about 55 cars are slated to be delivered at the Sand Show.    It will be a little less than 100 cars delivered after the Sand Show.   Perhaps by October they will get close to 200 cars delivered.  

How can we not be at 400 yet?  We should just take Robby out and Burn him at the stake for trying to change things.... doesn't he know we like things the way they were...

How can we not be at 400 yet?  We should just take Robby out and Burn him at the stake for trying to change things.... doesn't he know we like things the way they were...
We are close to 400.   According to some RG designs everything perfectly and there are no need for changes.  

We could probably get to 500 real quick if we listed all the lies, hype, hate, and bullshit excuses he's given over the years.

You guys do realize that there will never be unanimous agreement on what car is better there is always somebody that believes the Corvair was the pinnacle of automotive achievement and if not for that dam news reporter that wrote unsafe at any speed we would all be driving rear engine cars today.

Hell I helped a guy that had his Razor burn to the ground tell me while bandaging his burned Hands that it was the greatest car and his next one he was going to add even more travel, horsepower and a bigger fire extinguisher 

You guys do realize that there will never be unanimous agreement on what car is better there is always somebody that believes the Corvair was the pinnacle of automotive achievement and if not for that dam news reporter that wrote unsafe at any speed we would all be driving rear engine cars today.

Hell I helped a guy that had his Razor burn to the ground tell me while bandaging his burned Hands that it was the greatest car and his next one he was going to add even more travel, horsepower and a bigger fire extinguisher 
Everyone knows the Pinto is the pinnacle of auto design🤣🤣🤣

Back