Speed UTV

99 cars a week huh? Hmm 🤔 They’re gonna deliver 99 cars in a week out of one location? 

• Haha
Reactions: FOG
If I could go back to 1986 and buy a TRX250R or ATC250R at original pricing it would be a deal compared to what is sold today...solid geometry and design with a reasonable price tag.

Thos machines however do not have the motor and fuel systems, shocks and etc of todays machines. 

That is what is slowing happening with Speed, they are still trying to get their first year model out after 3 years of continuous development...

No way they are working on future enhancements while they are trying desperately to simply keep afloat.

Great design?, sure. No argument. 

A VW and Covair motor was a perfect selection for a dune buggy for years...until all of a sudden it no longer was. Now its antiquated, outdated and undesirable compared to new tech.

Saw this  ship this morning on our way to Catalina.  Could it be the 500 cars that were supposed to be here in May or June?  🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_8673.jpeg

IMG_8691.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could go back to 1986 and buy a TRX250R or ATC250R at original pricing it would be a deal compared to what is sold today...solid geometry and design with a reasonable price tag.

Thos machines however do not have the motor and fuel systems, shocks and etc of todays machines. 

That is what is slowing happening with Speed, they are still trying to get their first year model out after 3 years of continuous development...

No way they are working on future enhancements while they are trying desperately to simply keep afloat.

Great design?, sure. No argument. 

A VW and Covair motor was a perfect selection for a dune buggy for years...until all of a sudden it no longer was. Now its antiquated, outdated and undesirable compared to new tech.
My first sales gig

1988 TRX250R Msrp $3099

1988 CR250RJ Msrp $2999

Agreed.   In the video above someone asked about Live Valve shocks and RG said that they don’t have it as it’s just something else that can go wrong. 

Agreed.   In the video above someone asked about Live Valve shocks and RG said that they don’t have it as it’s just something else that can go wrong. 
That can also be said about power windows and power door locks in your car!

• Haha
What was most interesting to me in this video was seeing the white pickup truck with the camper shell at the same location as the Speed UTV with monster rock crawler tires. 
I get the sarcasm, but what some people may not know is there are three ways in-out to that waterfall. One of  the ways is toyota prius approved.... 

On 7/21/2023 at 9:51 PM, jginsandiego said:

6:00 in shows it revving but no tire movement again.  The clutching eventually engages and immediately spins/digs.  Curious if anyone knows the crawl ratio on these.  It's either the clutching is super loose, or the gearing isn't very short, or both.

Suspension appears to flex well for a SxS though.

6:00 in shows it revving but no tire movement again.  The clutching eventually engages and immediately spins/digs.  Curious if anyone knows the crawl ratio on these.  It's either the clutching is super loose, or the gearing isn't very short, or both.

Suspension appears to flex well 
From what I’ve read the engagement can be adjusted.  
The Speed UTV has torque limiting clutches front and rear, they can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the preload.

The Speed UTV has torque limiting clutches front and rear, they can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the preload.
Or the gearing is too high for legit rock crawling.   

In the driveshaft/center diff outputs to limit the amount of torque an axle is exposed to?  If so, they definitely need adjustment.  That looks like a clutch drop, which is decidedly bad for rocks.  There's a whole lot of unanswered RPM, then BAM, it works.  

To me, it looks like tall gears and a slippy/high RPM clutch.  Like what happens when your buddy with the MT TJ on stock 3.07:1 gearing and 35s decides he wants to come rock crawling with you...

I would bet it's both gear and clutch setup. Just like the Wildcat XX was/is and the clutch kit from Speed makes it way worse. Stock on my XX was like 2800 rpm engagement, Then the speed/alba clutch kit made it 3500 rpm. I've reclutched to get down to 1900 engagement, but still isn't right for hard rocks.

With the TAPP style, I'm curious if/when Chupacabra starts to adjust for different trip setups. Did he adjust for the 35s, ect...

To be fair Robby always said he built this for the desert and dunes.  But can do some rock climbing.  Im pretty sure the Rock junkies will figure out that TAPP clutch for optimal rock stuff.  Same with the dunes.  If the X3 fixes all the issues and shortens their 4 seater then I would be tempted to sell my speed spot.  Still hard to justify $50k for a SXS lol. 

To be fair Robby always said he built this for the desert and dunes.  But can do some rock climbing.  Im pretty sure the Rock junkies will figure out that TAPP clutch for optimal rock stuff.  Same with the dunes.  If the X3 fixes all the issues and shortens their 4 seater then I would be tempted to sell my speed spot.  Still hard to justify $50k for a SXS lol. 
Your rail ready to go for dune season?     

If a person is getting a Speed UTV to only do rock crawling and slow trail riding they are purchasing the wrong vehicle.  There are much better SXSs suited for that stuff. 

Your rail ready to go for dune season?     

If a person is getting a Speed UTV to only do rock crawling and slow trail riding they are purchasing the wrong vehicle.  There are much better SXSs suited for that stuff. 
Yeah like the;

CanAm Maverick Sport X RC @ $24k or MAVERICK X3 X RC TURBO RR 64 @ $29k

Back