Speed UTV

I think they were adjusting safety parameters and not looking for hp or torque gains (which would affect the CARB cert). Things like temp or pressure allowables for when the ECU has to do something in response 
Yep  and how fast it will ramp up so to speak had been playing it safe after new transmission went in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Wonder if Speed is considering a “Live Valve” option. Could help with that front end dive and weight transfer. 

Wonder if Speed is considering a “Live Valve” option. Could help with that front end dive and weight transfer. 
Think they have the R&D dept for that? That’s a lot of computer work.

It was a $2,400 MSRP option on my Honda Talon. 
I didn’t realize Honda offered that on the Talon. So as the car senses nose dive/forward weight transfer it will automatically increase shock damping on the front shocks??

I didn’t realize Honda offered that on the Talon. So as the car senses nose dive/forward weight transfer it will automatically increase shock damping on the front shocks??
Yes. That’s correct. 

It was a $2,400 MSRP option on my Honda Talon. 
Absent RG and company going to Fox shocks it would be a huge R&D cost for them to do a live valve on the Speed shocks.   

Honda just made a deal with Fox who has been perfecting the live value for a very long time.  So the cost is not crazy. 

Saw on instragram they were out testing E85 tunes in Glamis this weekend.  Brave souls taking it out there in 115 degree heat. 

Yeah almost hot enough to bake a store bought frozen section pizza...  :classic_rolleyes:

:lmao:
It would be awesome if he posted them trying to cook a frozen pizza on the hot asphalt.  

• Haha
I've been trying to limit my hating but that one really irked me. He's making it out like they go above and beyond for the r&d when it was an effed up design/material in the first place. Great, you fixed your Eff up, don't act like you're some kind of genius engineer.

Maybe I have that wrong but that's the way it feels.
Brake compound is a give and take. Too aggressive and you compromise rotor life. Look up how many brake pads that are available for your truck. Keep on "hating"   

Not really. My group routinely did Summer trips in the dunes, for almost a decade. August is the best month... 110 - 115 in the day... PERFECT in the morning and evenings. Not a soul around.
Same, though we stopped "scheduling" trips and just paid attention to the forecast for whatever weekend was around 100* (there's always 1).  Most of our rigs can't bring it below 90*F inside during the day when it was over 115*F.

My buggy never really cared other than the fans ran the entire time.  The sand has a lot less bite with it being so dry and fluffy, so there's less load on the motor.  Coolant temps stayed below 200*F for everyone.  Father in law borrowed the Can Am, coolant temps and belt did juuuuuust fine as well, but the all-black coloring meant paying attention to how you parked.  Seats would make your skin sizzle. :biggrin:

Brake compound is a give and take. Too aggressive and you compromise rotor life. Look up how many brake pads that are available for your truck. Keep on "hating"   
How long did those test mules run around? Did he not catch it because he wasn't using his own parts? I'm well aware of all the different compounds and know that the more exotic compounds like to chew up rotors. I have a Chevy truck that ate brakes/rotors for lunch. I've been through every combination known to man until I upgraded to newer generation brake system. They were simply just undersized. Half ton braking system on a one ton truck.. 

I think the reaction is worse than the initial choice.  This is a dirt toy, asphalt braking is a consideration, but the real test should've been how they stop in the dirt. Repeating this test and changing compounds to maximize asphalt braking will probably mean they're too powerful/grabby for dirt...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back