Speed UTV

The Tensors and Packard tires is what we have seen in our group.  The STU Blackbird is suppose to be pretty good. 
The only thing I didn’t like about the Tensors was the paddle cups seem small. Seems there would be a lot of wheel spin over hooking up.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Tensors was the paddle cups seem small. Seems there would be a lot of wheel spin over hooking up.
Spend a lot of time in 2WD?  If not, should be fine.  If 2WD, Blackbirds, but they do have a lot of bite, so don't be surprised if you need more power to spin them. 

Spend a lot of time in 2WD?  If not, should be fine.  If 2WD, Blackbirds, but they do have a lot of bite, so don't be surprised if you need more power to spin them. 
Up until now I spent a lot of time in 2wd. I liked being able to pitch the car pretty effortlessly. Now I don’t know how this car will react. Being a heavier car, will I need to run 4wd more regularly? Also, the car has a turf mode. So it’s 4wd with an open front diff. This seems like something I would use. My last car I had the Ss360’s and loved them for duning. To me they were the ultimate duning tire set up. Not sure how well they would work on this new car.

The hook pretty good.  When I drove my friend's I never felt like the tires were spinning.    The only one I drove that you could tell the tires were not hooking up was a friend's 4 seater that has the Packard tires comp cut.  The regular Packard tires hook up well and Mega slides his car around. 

I would like to see how the newer Sandcraft tires do on a Pro R. 

Up until now I spent a lot of time in 2wd. I liked being able to pitch the car pretty effortlessly. Now I don’t know how this car will react. Being a heavier car, will I need to run 4wd more regularly? Also, the car has a turf mode. So it’s 4wd with an open front diff. This seems like something I would use. My last car I had the Ss360’s and loved them for duning. To me they were the ultimate duning tire set up. Not sure how well they would work on this new car.
Open front is a good thing.  Open rear would be better for the dunes as well, but all of the SxSs run a spool out back.  Which reminds me: if you can't get the rear to spin with a spool, it's going to plow pretty badly.  

I think running 2WD in a SxS is leaving some capability on the table. 2WD is definitely more fun if you can get it to drift though.

Reactions: FOG
Open front is a good thing.  Open rear would be better for the dunes as well, but all of the SxSs run a spool out back.  Which reminds me: if you can't get the rear to spin with a spool, it's going to plow pretty badly.  

I think running 2WD in a SxS is leaving some capability on the table. 2WD is definitely more fun if you can get it to drift though.
2wd will loop the car out quickly if you are not careful.  Sxs wheel base is still alot shorter than a sandrail.  3wd is the best to use as it helps pull you through the woops, helps turn and most of all helps when you nose dive off a jump and it pulls you forward.   I use both, mostly 3wd and only 2wd when i want to play around. 

Please take this informative and useful information to another thread. You are only padding the thread count numbers for all the negative keyboard jockeys out there. 

Thank you,

Admin
LMAO!!!!   

You order any of the Speed race upgrades?    

2wd will loop the car out quickly if you are not careful.  Sxs wheel base is still alot shorter than a sandrail.  3wd is the best to use as it helps pull you through the woops, helps turn and most of all helps when you nose dive off a jump and it pulls you forward.   I use both, mostly 3wd and only 2wd when i want to play around. 
New buggies, yeah (current buggy is 120").  Older stuff was even shorter.  Learned on a buggy with a 96" wheelbase... :biggrin:

I usually run the Can Am in 2WD, but the handling is frustrating at times (esp compared to an open diff buggy) with the lack of front bite on turn-in because of the spool out back.  Once you get it turned in by dialing in lots of wheelspin, it'll want to come around if you're not quick to catch it.  Haven't looped it yet, but can see how it happens.  With 3WD, it'll yank the front around, but it's just not the same as a well-executed drift.

Please take this informative and useful information to another thread. You are only padding the thread count numbers for all the negative keyboard jockeys out there. 

Thank you,

Admin
Donny, you’re outta your element. Have you ordered some brakes yet? 

So there is an instagram post of RG and company at the dyno yesterday for the E85 tune.  Kind of interesting they are doing this now when there are few customers inching toward that 500 miles and their Speed key.   You would think the E85 tune was perfected a while ago when they got the CARB certification. 

#14 in Baja posted that his trip is now over. He did not finish.  Water temp sensor they couldn't fix and that is what ended the trip.  He said he experienced four issues with his El Jefe:

1) one broken belt
2) one failed water temp sensor
3) one torn CV boot
4) one loose ground wire for one of the radiator fans
I'm guessing that the ECM just shut down the motor to save it with the bad sensor. But, it's essentially reading a resistance. So, unplugging it and adding a resistor (the right size though...or one from another application just hanging out there and strapped down) should allow you to continue on. But, I personally would try to also add in a 'quick fix' temp gauge to know where the temps are just encase.

Everything else is typical trail fix items provided you carry the extra parts (which I would expect for a 1k Baja trip).

I own tools and know friends that own welders.  Does that count?  Lol!

I tried welding once.  My eye sight is not good for welding.  
If you get the right prescription glasses and also a magnifying diopter lens for a welding helmet you can see very well. I am constantly switching glasses back and forth on the bench when welding. Sometimes even changing the lenses in the helmet as well. Even then it still takes a lot of practice.

If you get the right prescription glasses and also a magnifying diopter lens for a welding helmet you can see very well. I am constantly switching glasses back and forth on the bench when welding. Sometimes even changing the lenses in the helmet as well. Even then it still takes a lot of practice.
I would not trust my welds.  Best to leave that to people that know what they are doing. 

Wish I learned how to weld when I was younger. 

Back