Speed UTV

Finally got a chance to watch the shootout - I was actually happy to see the Speed did so well in so many key areas.

Sure RG's hype was completely blown out. It clearly has a well designed and built chassis and is a solid performer

Not bad for a 1.0 design, but not a game changer by any means which is a shame given it's not longer at a bargain price

I also think since it sounds exactly like my neighbors Leaf blower it feels familiar and friendly thats a huge plus

34 cars so far ...I want to see this play out again after 500 miles on each car

I think he's built it far enough to prove his capability. Investors will be chomping at the bit to get a piece of the action. Few revisions and they have a sweet contender if not the new gorilla in a few years. 

I think he's built it far enough to prove his capability. Investors will be chomping at the bit to get a piece of the action. Few revisions and they have a sweet contender if not the new gorilla in a few years. 
You might be correct, but talk to me after he has delivered 35 units or maybe 40, perhaps 100?  

Professional investors hate businesses with lots of moving parts (vendors) and non-MBA types running Product and Operations (they bring in their own Finance types..). They also like a minimum of one year track record and a solid business plan to BE.  So the type of investors he will attract are people that either love the business (maybe LOTD will invest)  or people that just want their name associated with it - fun people - (like people that invest in race teams). 

Professional investors hate businesses with lots of moving parts (vendors) and non-MBA types running Product and Operations (they bring in their own Finance types..). They also like a minimum of one year track record and a solid business plan to BE.  So the type of investors he will attract are people that either love the business (maybe LOTD will invest)  or people that just want their name associated with it - fun people - (like people that invest in race teams). 
Or Chinese businessmen who are desperately trying to offload super fiat Chinese currency into assets… Risks are lower when you’re staring financial collapse in the face and there aren’t anymore houses to buy for no reason. :biggrin:

So at 250 miles you have to spend $420 for oil, filter, and a belt? Why would you need a belt with your first oil change kit?
Because the belt won’t last much longer anyway? :bag:

Am I the only cynic who thinks the mileage/break-in period for the speed key is kinda curious?

I fully understand the sound reasoning for a break-in period on any motor, but correct me if I'm wrong, even if a customer wanted to use the key, they are locked out until after the mileage is reached?

Scuttlebug around town is they are having ECU issues with the speedkey so they made up that 500 mile rule to stall.  If you think about it, 500 miles breakin means nothing if using the speedkey voids your warranty anyways.  If you blow your motor from the speedkey at 400 miles or 600 miles speed still isn't going to cover it.  If you have the white glove warranty that covers the speedkey then it might apply but that is not what they are doing.  They are not giving out speedkeys to everyone.  But it will be a moot point soon, #14 is in baja right now putting 1000 miles on his car.  And Nick is almost at 500 miles too, so we should see the speedkey soon.

In other news I heard the shift on the fly works pretty well.  That's a big feature others sxs don't have and glad to hear it's working for people.  It will be nice not having to stop to shift all the time.  They described it like shifting a motorcycle.

That sounds correct.   500 mile break in period is interesting and also the fact you are stuck buying the Speed break in package.  I believe the warranty is voided if you do not use the break in kit.   
Is there a mini RG doll in the break in kit insuring that procedures are being followed properly?

Looks like the car is holding up to Baja other than the belt.   I believe he is on a 9 day peninsula ride with Off The Grid Expedition.   They should cover over 1,000 miles. 

img_4233-jpg.1245124

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume he meant the belt debris got onto the turbo via the CVT exhaust?

The CVT exhaust is pointed at the turbo/manifold to help cool them...  Which sounds like a good idea until flammable rubber from a shithoused belt gets sprayed in a fine mist all over it.  Burning rubber is no joke.

Is the cooling necessary?  Any remedies are either going to take that cooling away, reduce airflow (filter), or reduce the size of the fire (screen).  

Reactions: FOG
The CVT exhaust is pointed at the turbo/manifold to help cool them...  Which sounds like a good idea until flammable rubber from a shithoused belt gets sprayed in a fine mist all over it.  Burning rubber is no joke.

Is the cooling necessary?  Any remedies are either going to take that cooling away, reduce airflow (filter), or reduce the size of the fire (screen).  
Perhaps there is a reason Can Am and Polaris put the turbo in front of the motor and away from the CVT.   

Speed UTV has the turbo in the rear and near the CVT cover.   There is a lot of heat going on in that CVT.  Either the air flow is not great, the clutch calibration is way off, or a combo of both.   They might have to do what Polaris did on the Turbo XP.  Put another ducting tube that directs air right onto the secondary.  

If I were a Speed UTV owner that primarily rides in the dunes, I would be very concerned about belt life.  Dirt is a lot easier on belts.  

Hopefully Tapp Clutches and the Speed engineers can figure it out. 

Reactions: FOG
Perhaps there is a reason Can Am and Polaris put the turbo in front of the motor and away from the CVT.   

Speed UTV has the turbo in the rear and near the CVT cover.   There is a lot of heat going on in that CVT.  Either the air flow is not great, the clutch calibration is way off, or a combo of both.   They might have to do what Polaris did on the Turbo XP.  Put another ducting tube that directs air right onto the secondary.  

If I were a Speed UTV owner that primarily rides in the dunes, I would be very concerned about belt life.  Dirt is a lot easier on belts.  

Hopefully Tapp Clutches and the Speed engineers can figure it out. 
Clutching seems "loose" to me (I assume because the 300hp turbo is laggy on a 1.0L engine), and there has to be a lot of heatsoak after you turn the thing off and airflow stops.  Curious what the belt temps end up at after sitting for a beer break for a bit.

I assume this didn't come up during testing because it was at a track (consistent input) or RG was driving (WOT at all times).  Not everyone can drive in the dirt this way, and throttle transitions are hard on belts.

The ductwork from CVT exhaust to turbo seemed to have arrived with the change in material of the exhaust manifold/turbo housing material from Inconel to cast iron. Coincidence? Not likely.  

A lot of so-called testing was done with the CVT cover off, it seems.

They need to hire a durability engineer from the auto industry, where they have a strict test regimen.

Back