Speed UTV

Three years ago it was a game changer but today it is a good car. 

if can am brings something substantial to the table as an update this summer speed will fall further behind. 
Hopefully we find out in a few months what Can Am is bring to the desert.  One thing will be for sure it will have more than 225hp.  Can Am likes to be king in the hp department with sport UTVs. 

Hopefully we find out in a few months what Can Am is bring to the desert.  One thing will be for sure it will have more than 225hp.  Can Am likes to be king in the hp department with sport UTVs. 
If they came with 300hp it would be bad azz! Definitely need to work on their brakes if they come with more hp.

It would be interesting to know when they first started developing the new car coming out. I would have to think years. 

It would be interesting to know when they first started developing the new car coming out. I would have to think years. 
Like Polaris it is my understanding it is a 4-5 year process from concept to ready to sell to the public.   It got delayed a year due to Covid like the Pro R.  So hopefully that equals more refinement and less issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think they would do 300hp right off the bat.  
I would bet almost anything the new canam will have more than 225 HP.  How much more is anyone's guess.  I am more interested if they are going to stay under 1000cc.  If they come out with something big it's really going to make speed look like the little guy (engine/hp).  I think we are still a few years away from the V8 speed.

I would bet almost anything the new canam will have more than 225 HP.  How much more is anyone's guess.  I am more interested if they are going to stay under 1000cc.  If they come out with something big it's really going to make speed look like the little guy (engine/hp).  I think we are still a few years away from the V8 speed.
My guess is Can A will be 230-250hp and it will be over 1000cc.  

My guess is Can A will be 230-250hp and it will be over 1000cc.  
That's the shoot out I want to see.  Pro-R, New canam, speedutv with speedkey.  Only thing that sucks is using speedkey voids warranty.  So I know I wouldn't want to use mine for a shoot out unless warranty was up.

That was an excellent video. I'm just being nosy in this UTV debacle but entertaining none the less. I would've never imagined they'd even be that close in all those categories. Nice plug for Coyne too! Good for them for participating in that video. He said he'd have them on the showroom floor in less than 60 days! That's awesome but how realistic is that? Would be cool to see. I can't wait to be at Olds and watch these race. Speed key will be magic if handled properly. Good on' Ol' Robbie 

They filed a patent (or was it leaked docs?) a couple of years ago for a very beefy new suspension, so at least then.  

I'd link to the post, but it was by one of The Deleters (who of course said it was garbage). Maybe @Sand Shark has another link?

I thought it was a good video. Honestly, I expected the Pro R to win in most categories. It really played out like I thought it would. When I bought into Speed, I cared about suspension and safety. I am not drag racing anyone.....there is ALWAYS someone faster. I wanted Alumicraft suspension, without the Alumicraft price (and sequential trans maintenance)  Now, I am really concerned about the brakes. If you want to build a top performer, a car the can "eat whoops" and is "the Lamborghini of SxS", it MUST HAVE good brakes. Good brakes on a sports car are just as important as the engine. I think Speed has done an amazing job on this car. but the engineers seriously overlooked the brakes. 

I also fully understand the Wilwood upgrade for RACING. This should not have to be an upgrade for the average user. 

Hopefully the brakes aren't as bad as they sound and there will be a work around (pads).

That was an excellent video. I'm just being nosy in this UTV debacle but entertaining none the less. I would've never imagined they'd even be that close in all those categories. Nice plug for Coyne too! Good for them for participating in that video. He said he'd have them on the showroom floor in less than 60 days! That's awesome but how realistic is that? Would be cool to see. I can't wait to be at Olds and watch these race. Speed key will be magic if handled properly. Good on' Ol' Robbie 
I doubt he will have cars on the showroom floor to sell in 60 days.

If people are burning up belts with 225hp and seeing high belt temps now.  I can only imagine what those same Speed UTVs will be doing to belts with 300hp and add the stress of sand.  

You'd imagine the speed team is looking for alternate brake options both pads and caliper or even master cylinder at this point it's known by them as well. The wilwood option proves that.

Maybe they provide the standard brakes on the base units, upgraded pads on the LEs and wilwood standard on the RGs in the future 2285 model year. Or make it part of the 35" tire package.

There's a video of Todd talking about brakes from Hawk and RG not using them on his TT since his were over built already. Maybe Hawk will have the pads ready in short order for the Speed UTV.

I thought it was a good video. Honestly, I expected the Pro R to win in most categories. It really played out like I thought it would. When I bought into Speed, I cared about suspension and safety. I am not drag racing anyone.....there is ALWAYS someone faster. I wanted Alumicraft suspension, without the Alumicraft price (and sequential trans maintenance)  Now, I am really concerned about the brakes. If you want to build a top performer, a car the can "eat whoops" and is "the Lamborghini of SxS", it MUST HAVE good brakes. Good brakes on a sports car are just as important as the engine. I think Speed has done an amazing job on this car. but the engineers seriously overlooked the brakes. 

I also fully understand the Wilwood upgrade for RACING. This should not have to be an upgrade for the average user. 

Hopefully the brakes aren't as bad as they sound and there will be a work around (pads).
If you've ever watched Robby race, you'd understand why they overlooked the brakes.  I don't think he uses them... :biggrin:

You'd imagine the speed team is looking for alternate brake options both pads and caliper or even master cylinder at this point it's known by them as well. The wilwood option proves that.

Maybe they provide the standard brakes on the base units, upgraded pads on the LEs and wilwood standard on the RGs in the future 2285 model year. Or make it part of the 35" tire package.

There's a video of Todd talking about brakes from Hawk and RG not using them on his TT since his were over built already. Maybe Hawk will have the pads ready in short order for the Speed UTV.
The train has left the station.  The brakes suck out loud, but they're not a show-stopper like some of the other items.  This will have to be something addressed by the owner like all OE products.  They're never perfect, no matter what Acolytes might say.

it's funny how the haters all get boners hearing about the brakes...just like the never trumpers.... just pathetic.  The can ams  had the entire front end falling off and they just made excuses.....brakes are a relatively easy fix...even a new master and calipers and rotors wont be all that big of a deal....I wonder if the brake issue is again the supplier cutting corners...which is what most of the major problems have been. 

it's funny how the haters all get boners hearing about the brakes...just like the never trumpers.... just pathetic.  The can ams  had the entire front end falling off and they just made excuses.....brakes are a relatively easy fix...even a new master and calipers and rotors wont be all that big of a deal....I wonder if the brake issue is again the supplier cutting corners...which is what most of the major problems have been. 
No one's getting boners, we're all too old for that nonsense. :biggrin:   

As far as the brakes: pad change will likely fix it.  If not, nothing will because it's a weight distribution/suspension geometry problem (yep, that old hag of a topic).  Everyone's running 15" wheels, and the rotors look similarly sized, so unless there's a problem where the master is the plain wrong size (which would either mean an immovable pedal, or a super long one, which no one has complained about), a set of Wilwoods isn't going to fix it.  

Personally, I think there's less anti-dive geometry in the Speed, which helps it in the whoops, but will allow more weight transfer under braking.  Definitely start with more aggressive front pads to offset since the Speed ends up more on its nose than the others.

But...  That test was on pavement.  I doubt it has any issues locking them up in the dirt.

RG not happy with the SXS Shootout, just own the issues and move forward with changes to fix the issues.

He's tap dancing and making excuses. 

IF YOU BUY MY ACCESSORIES AND UPGRADES YOU TOO CAN BE #1 - LOL

Back