Speed UTV

There's a couple of times in that video that you can hear the dude wanting to correct Robby, but doesn't. 

"There's 5,000 miles on this one.  Here you can see the lightbar.  What's this one got, 7,000 miles?"

"Uh..."

Moves on to another car.  LOL

There was one that had 28k miles on it, but he didn't show it, said it was decommissioned.  They said there's 45k on the 5 cars there.  

These cars running day and night are what you would've seen by other manufacturers on a small run to test the process and suppliers before anyone paid money for one.  Even startups with WAAAAY more pressure to sell cars (Rivian).  They still miss things.
At least we get to see the process the other manufactures never show the public.  LOL!

Those 45K miles really mean nothing without knowing what failed and was fixed.   If they did 20K miles and it is the original motor, drivetrain, and suspension bushings and monoballs that would be impressive and go a long ways to showing durability.  

At least we get to see the process the other manufactures never show the public.  LOL!

Those 45K miles really mean nothing without knowing what failed and was fixed.   If they did 20K miles and it is the original motor, drivetrain, and suspension bushings and monoballs that would be impressive and go a long ways to showing durability.  
How many trailing arm mount welds happened? :biggrin:

Exactly.  or how many lost the oil seperator line.  LMAO!!!

Only thing consistent on those cars he showed was the check engine light.   
Does the check engine turn off after a bit with the ignition on/engine off, or does it stay lit until the engine starts?

Looking like weight and HP are a problem for their CVT system. That's fixable, all the others had to do the same, RG is not immune to this issue :lol:

I wonder badly how the E85 tune is going to eat up belts...anyone post a video on how easy / hard it is to change a Speed UTV Belt yet?

Reactions: FOG
My Raptor says lit until I start it, same with my previous Raptor. It's obviously not running.
Word, my 2020 Mustang will turn off after a bit, as does the Jeep, unless there's a code, then it stays lit.  I'll have to see if the 2022 F-150 does.

Either way, could be just how the startup procedure is programmed.

Rumor is they are using a wildcat xx size belt.  Seems to be ok for 2 seaters but the added weight of the 4-seater plus passengers is too much for it.  They are saying the belts temp rise if you run it hard but doesn't seem to cool down very fast when you are stopped or going slow.  So belt temps can slowly creep up on you if you aren't watching the gauge.  Reports of the gauges not working properly also compound the issue.  People are seeing random gauges going to 0 at random times (boost, belt temp, oil pressure, etc).  Speed is working on a heavy duty race belt upgrade with Gates at the moment.

How does the overall belt length compare to other SxSs?  How's the clutching?  Length and clutching are what determine heating.  Making it tougher won't address the temperature...

The videos I've seen, it's hard to tell other than that climb in Sand Hollow with Chupacabra sitting still with the belt slipping away.  Either the clutching was too loose there, or the gearing was too high, or both.  

How does the overall belt length compare to other SxSs?  How's the clutching?  Length and clutching are what determine heating.  Making it tougher won't address the temperature...

The videos I've seen, it's hard to tell other than that climb in Sand Hollow with Chupacabra sitting still with the belt slipping away.  Either the clutching was too loose there, or the gearing was too high, or both.  
Nick said that the ECU wasn't letting him 2 foot drive, so when his foot was on the brake, he couldn't use the gas and brake. He has since had that updated. It wasn't gearing or the belt slipping.

Nick said that the ECU wasn't letting him 2 foot drive, so when his foot was on the brake, he couldn't use the gas and brake. He has since had that updated. It wasn't gearing or the belt slipping.
I heard that, but I don't think that's correct.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any ability of the ECU to override the clutch, it's a simple mechanical device based on engine speed.  If so, you can hear that the revs are definitely elevated here:

Maybe power was cut, but the revs were at a point where the clutching should've been engaged, but no movement.  You can hear the revs increase from when he was moving... My guess is the belt was slipping here, but I suppose it could be the clutching slipping.  On the second successful run, you can hear the revs rubberbanding around as well.  ECU throttle cut would've meant just idling.

My guess is the brakes + hill climb overloaded the clutching/belt.  Sounds exactly like when someone gets the bright idea to "brake torque" their SxS and smoke the belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a guy posted on that picture that says he has 78,500 into his.. Not including install..
Wow!  At $78k to build one now you wonder how many they will sell after those initially deposit holders get theirs.   The dealers will add crazy mark ups on the Speed UTVs.

78k and some of the welds look just as bad as the 30k UTV.  Lol!

The chassis is beefy on the Speed, but so is the Wildcat XX for a fraction of the price.  

IMG_8239.png

There's a guy posted on that picture that says he has 78,500 into his.. Not including install..
Not entirely correct, he says "at current pricing" it would be 78,500. He's an early number car, so he likely has about 55 into it. Prices have gone up quite a bit, on the car, and the accessories, and I think he appears to have a ton of them.

Back