Speed UTV

I read that an AZ Owner was not allowed to register it as an OHV as the weight exceeded 2,500 pounds.

For comparison the PRO R 4 weighs a claimed dry weight 2,365 lb. / 2,437 lb. / 2,480 lb.

So per Todd the belt solution, because they clearly run hot, is to buy their $1500 kit and be able to monitor the temps? Allowing you to back off the peddle when needed?

A loaded 4 seater will need to be watched in the sand, oh sounds fun! to avoid belt issues :doh:
LOL!  I guess those stupid engineers at Polaris and Can Am don't know jack about keep clutches cool and belt life.   

Funny thing is you can't run the Speed utv without a belt cover due to that support set up.   Guessing there will be Speed pieces spread across the dunes next season. 

AZ was at 2,500 lbs limit for OHV, then went to 1,800 lbs, then back to 2,500 again. Obviously, they don't want people to be able to register Jeeps, and other genuine motor vehicles, which SxS are NOT, as OHVs. Just another consequence of the ever-growing weight and cost of SxS's pretending to be motor vehicles. They are not.

I knew when Robby said they were just going to pass out MSO's they were looking for trouble. If you are a licensed motor vehicle dealer in AZ, you(the dealer) MUST furnish a Title to a consumer, not an MSO. I don't know the ins and outs of manufacturer direct sales, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Speed's sake I hope they don't have a belt eater in the dunes.  That would not be a good look.   Especially if all the poorly designed Pro Rs and Can Ams are going by them.    LOL!!!!! 

Well it was sold with only an MCO from the MFG and folks in AZ are already having trouble getting it registered as OHV.

Sucks for the people who want to simply use what they bought. Private Property or a Track might be the only place you can use it right now...

If we didn't live in a over-regulated society is one thing...but we don't. Some 2nd party Registration service can make some $$$ if they figure it all out quickly, Speed Owners will gladly pay a few bucks to get this OHV Registration stuff squared away quickly is my bet.

You are still able to register them, the only issue is with the weight you will be paying for full hwy use, which is more expensive per year than the OHV registration. People are still getting them registered, and you don't only get to use them on private party or tracks.

LOL!  I guess those stupid engineers at Polaris and Can Am don't know jack about keep clutches cool and belt life.   

Funny thing is you can't run the Speed utv without a belt cover due to that support set up.   Guessing there will be Speed pieces spread across the dunes next season. 
They could have engineered support girdles for clutch support separate from the cover... like an old Rhino had on the primary...

They could have engineered support girdles for clutch support separate from the cover... like an old Rhino had on the primary...
The good old Rhino days.  That support was a pain to get out of the way.  

I don't recall the reasoning for the support set up on the Speed UTV.  Keep them aligned?

The good old Rhino days.  That support was a pain to get out of the way.  

I don't recall the reasoning for the support set up on the Speed UTV.  Keep them aligned?
Alignment, and consistent center-to-center under load.

AZ was at 2,500 lbs limit for OHV, then went to 1,800 lbs, then back to 2,500 again. Obviously, they don't want people to be able to register Jeeps, and other genuine motor vehicles, which SxS are NOT, as OHVs. Just another consequence of the ever-growing weight and cost of SxS's pretending to be motor vehicles. They are not.

I knew when Robby said they were just going to pass out MSO's they were looking for trouble. If you are a licensed motor vehicle dealer in AZ, you(the dealer) MUST furnish a Title to a consumer, not an MSO. I don't know the ins and outs of manufacturer direct sales, though.
Great clarification, thank you.

You are still able to register them, the only issue is with the weight you will be paying for full hwy use, which is more expensive per year than the OHV registration. People are still getting them registered, and you don't only get to use them on private party or tracks.
That's good news, sucks on higher fees because of hwy use, but isnt that already an AZ advantage people are willing to pay?

Great clarification, thank you.

That's good news, sucks on higher fees because of hwy use, but isnt that already an AZ advantage people are willing to pay?
I don't own a SXS so I can't speak for certain, but I believe there are 2 registrations you can pay for, one is an OHV with slight street access, like to cross a road or something minor, and the other is full street registration, and an OHV permit. I'm pretty sure my friends who are registering for the street are paying the fully monty, and pretty much what you will be forced to do with the SPEED because of the weight.

Well, this is interesting...

I ass-ume that since it is not a "motor vehicle" they are not required to be a licensed manufacturer???

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 2.10.48 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
I don't own a SXS so I can't speak for certain, but I believe there are 2 registrations you can pay for, one is an OHV with slight street access, like to cross a road or something minor, and the other is full street registration, and an OHV permit. I'm pretty sure my friends who are registering for the street are paying the fully monty, and pretty much what you will be forced to do with the SPEED because of the weight.
There are 3 types, but one allows "occasional on-highway use".  This is where most OHVs end up if they want to use them on pavement.  It used to be the OHV fee and then another small fee, like $5, for the street part.  But, you have to "certify" that you have chit like a horn and license plate lights....in addition to insurance.

https://apps.azdot.gov/files/mvd/mvd-forms-lib/96-0572.pdf

From the owner of car #31

Somebody at the MVD is confused. I registered #31 as an OHV no problem. I would email Ginger or Shari and see if others have had issues.

The only rule at the MVD is that the person who helps you there gets to make the rules.

And that all depends on how their day is going, how hangry they are, how much the guy before you pissed them off, etc, etc....

From the owner of car #31

Somebody at the MVD is confused. I registered #31 as an OHV no problem. I would email Ginger or Shari and see if others have had issues.
Well that's good news :thumb:

The only rule at the MVD is that the person who helps you there gets to make the rules.

And that all depends on how their day is going, how hangry they are, how much the guy before you pissed them off, etc, etc....
LOL...that's goes for any DMV anywhere.

I think working at the DMV is one level of hell.

Stradanus-Dante.jpg

Sounds like CA DMV.  I had to try 3 times at different offices to get a dirt bike converted to a street plate.  Each time they denied it was a different reason too.

• Haha
Back