Speed UTV

@Rockwood 

Front and rear suspension are made from 4130 chromoly. Lower arms use monoballs/ uniballs NOT Heims.  Upper control arms use heims. Forged Monster sized spindles, Front Shock angles optimized compared to others where they are pretty much laying down and mounted to the uppers. As far as the track width scrub that’s cool if you like that unpredictableness of your ride shimming side to side but I don’t and I don’t care to debate with you if it causes rollovers in a turn because the car gets narrower, and the CG goes sky high, but those tiny ball joints aren’t happy about it. As for the shocks I believe Speed is the only ones with 3.25 IBP  and Chupacabra seems to dig them compared to his tuned X3. Maybe geometry has something to do with that as well. I also think all the electronics on the new shocks are band aids and just something else that’ll fail. But that just me. Look I’m not crowning this car as king of the SXS. There will definitely be some growing pains and no car is perfect not even Speeds. There will be some Give and takes.  Some of you guys complain (and are still)  about RG’s few negative comments. But dang a couple of you guys are worse than him with your constant negativity. It’s just a freaking toy.  
200.gif

Again, where’s the evidence that RG talks Sh1t? As far as timelines, why does that bother you if you’re not invested? That’s for me to complain about. 😝I’m outta here …Again.

@Rockwood 

Front and rear suspension are made from 4130 chromoly. Lower arms use monoballs/ uniballs NOT Heims.  Upper control arms use heims. Forged Monster sized spindles, Front Shock angles optimized compared to others where they are pretty much laying down and mounted to the uppers. As far as the track width scrub that’s cool if you like that unpredictableness of your ride shimming side to side but I don’t and I don’t care to debate with you if it causes rollovers in a turn because the car gets narrower, and the CG goes sky high, but those tiny ball joints aren’t happy about it. As for the shocks I believe Speed is the only ones with 3.25 IBP  and Chupacabra seems to dig them compared to his tuned X3. Maybe geometry has something to do with that as well. I also think all the electronics on the new shocks are band aids and just something else that’ll fail. But that just me. Look I’m not crowning this car as king of the SXS. There will definitely be some growing pains and no car is perfect not even Speeds. There will be some Give and takes.  Some of you guys complain (and are still)  about RG’s few negative comments. But dang a couple of you guys are worse than him with your constant negativity. It’s just a freaking toy.  

Again, where’s the evidence that RG talks Sh1t? As far as timelines, why does that bother you if you’re not invested? That’s for me to complain about. 😝I’m outta here …Again.
They weren't a few.  I haven't watched all of the videos, but I can tell you that every video I did watch had some sort of "Polaris this" or "Can Am that" tirade on it.  The video in his shop where he chit on the Pro R and set up a bunch of hilariously transparent "comparisons" to show how his richard was bigger than Polaris' was especially terrible.  

Cool on the uniball.  I stand corrected for the lower arm.

I assume you meant roll center?  It doesn't go all over the place in relation to the vehicle, which is counter to RG's point.  A RC that doesn't go "sky high" as the vehicle moves nearly 2' would be unpredictable as the vehicle's roll couple will change throughout travel.  A vehicle with a dynamic front track width and a static rear track width is also going to have some oddness to it.  When it comes down to it, these are vehicles doing highway speed over terrain that would disassemble a regular car in seconds.  Doing crazy chit and only getting "oddness" as a result should be expected. :biggrin:

BTW, it's ironic that RG is poking fun at multi-link for instability, camber, RC and jacking moments when those are the primary reasons why the automotive world went AWAY from the semi-trailing arm.  There are hundreds of SAE articles on these phenomena with that suspension...  Dynamic alignment changes (generally toe out under load), instability, high unsprung weight causing dynamic traction issues, jacking moments, etc.  A number of OEs went with additional links to try to control toe changes, but that doesn't exist on the Speed.  

And yeah, timeline affects you a helluva lot more than me, but nothing pisses me off more than a liar. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

Looks good.  Suspension is definitely dialed, especially on the fenceline there. MTS tuned a buddy's X3 and the primary rate was pretty high, couldn't ever really get it right in the whoops.  Brakes were better with 33s.

He mentioned the gearing wasn't as low as the X3 (though Speed seemed more interested in developing the car for general desert than rock crawling anyway), and it did appear the car needed to carry more speed (hehe) to get through the rocks.  The stall on the rocks appeared to be the gearing biting him, then the ECU pulling out throttle.  Sitting there with the belt slipping and no forward progress can't be good for the belt.  I assume this was because the clutching/gearing is more desert than rocks.

Problems: it seemed to get hot with the windshield (said it was running hot, then removed it).  Wheel bearings needed grease. The now infamous PS leak, a CV boot and a coolant "leak" (barely weeping on an overflow it looked to me, not a show-stopper).

So what did I miss?  LOL!

I see RG and company delivered a few more cars this weekend and one was spotted in Idaho dunes. 

Glamis next season should have lots of Speed UTVs and we will see if Joefab is busy welding them too.  LOL!

Can't wait for Nick to get some other 4 seaters to compare to his Speed UTV.   The suspension does look good on the Speed UTV.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So no RZRs or Can Ams jacked over during the filming of the video?

Wonder why RG never discusses the suspension of the Kawi, Honda, or Yamaha.  

So what did I miss?  LOL!

I see RG and company delivered a few more cars this weekend and one was spotted in Idaho dunes. 

Glamis next season should have lots of Speed UTVs and we will see if Joefab is busy welding them too.  LOL!

Can't wait for Nick to get some other 4 seaters to compare to his Speed UTV.   The suspension does look good on the Speed UTV.  
How did it look in the Dunes?

Like a Wildcat XX with a 100 extra HP is my guess... (230 vs 130)

Horsepower would be main reason. Kawi KRX geometry / suspension is really, really close though its been said.

How did it look in the Dunes?

Like a Wildcat XX with a 100 extra HP is my guess... (230 vs 130)

Horsepower would be main reason. Kawi KRX geometry / suspension is really, really close though its been said.
I suspect it will be similar to the XX in the dunes and as you said with more hp.  So it should scoot around fine.   To bad Kawi does not make a turbo or a model with more hp.  The suspension on the Kawi is good too. 

Maybe he didn't build cars with them and relationships went south. You tend to spit more with a bad taste in your mouth.

Maybe he didn't build cars with them and relationships went south. You tend to spit more with a bad taste in your mouth.
Rumor was Yamaha would not sell him motors when the original plan was to stretch a Wildcat XX into a 4 seater. 

@Rockwood 

Look I get what your saying. As I’m sure you fully understand what a lot of us have pointed out. It’s quite amazing how everyone kept quiet while RG put his foot in his mouth over and over again. Or didn’t speak up about how every race they have entered has been subpar especially with their full race Diablo. Not to mention how they broke rock crawling and got pulled off the boulders with a CanAm and then flown out with a helicopter. Nope, it was crickets during all of that. Now some cars have been delivered and it’s right back to balls deep again! Are we happy that fellow duners are finally getting cars? Yep we sure are. Are we skeptical about the reliability? Yes we are. Time will tell once these cars are out in the wild and powered by Joe shmoes. As for you leaving again, we have all seen how long you’ve been lurking on this thread. No matter what you say, it’s like a train wreck that you can’t look away from!

One last thing. If I remember correctly, RG was very proud of his suspension being 100% dialed in. In fact, it was an argument that the fanboys stood by on how if you buy any other brand you will have to pay to have your shocks resprung. Trash talked how Polaris springs sag right away. Now all I’ve heard or read is that the Speed coils are sagging and not holding up. Classic!

One last thing. If I remember correctly, RG was very proud of his suspension being 100% dialed in. In fact, it was an argument that the fanboys stood by on how if you buy any other brand you will have to pay to have your shocks resprung. Trash talked how Polaris springs sag right away. Now all I’ve heard or read is that the Speed coils are sagging and not holding up. Classic!
They aren’t? 

Watching Justin build Shock therapy and MTS going big making a ton of cash isn’t because the the cars are just fine! 
Don’t get me wrong, all I’ve owned is Rzr’s, so I know first hand about the sagging springs! My point is that it seems Speed has the same issue. 

What’s the chance this thread makes 400 pages before 400 cars are delivered? I have not seen or heard about mass deliveries being shipped. Sounds like it’s still 5-10 at a time. 

Back