Speed UTV

Well, all I can tell you is 10 years later Polaris are still catching on fire last weekend in Glamis, my friend saw this car, pull up next to us on fire and pulled the two kids out of the backseat. Then we got the lady out that was driving followed by two other people grabbing fire extinguishers.

I would say the speed give them another year. 

FullSizeRender.MOV 45.45 MB · 2 downloads
Honestly, I’m still trying to figure out why rzr’s are catching on fire. Out of the hundreds of cars myself, family, and friends have owned, not one has caught on fire. This is including years of race cars along with tons of cars that cruise and rock crawl. I can say they all have proper maintenance along with proper belt fragment removal if a belt is blown along with absolutely no gas being carried in the bed. Thousands of miles on these cars. So what’s going wrong?

Honestly, I’m still trying to figure out why rzr’s are catching on fire. Out of the hundreds of cars myself, family, and friends have owned, not one has caught on fire. This is including years of race cars along with tons of cars that cruise and rock crawl. I can say they all have proper maintenance along with proper belt fragment removal if a belt is blown along with absolutely no gas being carried in the bed. Thousands of miles on these cars. So what’s going wrong?
I feel like people put a lot of crap in those beds that probably shouldn’t be there. I’ve seen sweatshirts fly out and hit the exhaust and catch fire. 

Reactions: FOG
I’m waiting for the first front A arm ripping the tabs off the sand cast differential. 
Then what??
Or the TREs (single shear) on the control arms. Yes, no ball joints, but a threaded shank in single shear isn’t exactly an improvement.  But hey, it’s patented. 

Well, all I can tell you is 10 years later Polaris are still catching on fire last weekend in Glamis, my friend saw this car, pull up next to us on fire and pulled the two kids out of the backseat. Then we got the lady out that was driving followed by two other people grabbing fire extinguishers.

FullSizeRender.MOV 45.45 MB · 5 downloads
Loose oil lines or wiring harness rubbing on the driveshaft or alternator wire coming loose would certainly result in a fire with Joe Schmoe behind the wheel.  Offroad environments are harsh and OEMs learn lessons the hard way sometimes.

I feel like people put a lot of crap in those beds that probably shouldn’t be there. I’ve seen sweatshirts fly out and hit the exhaust and catch fire. 
Or Trinity exhaust bodies melting. Or 15 Rotopax gas cans in the bed area. Or completely indifferent maintenance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Fire Bad.

That's what worries me with Polaris, over reaction? Maybe.

Has anyone here with a RZR had the seat break? I rode in one the other day and noticed how much the seat moved, Then talked to a buddy who is with the FD in Havasu, He said around 90% of RZR crashes (that he responds to), the seats have broken loose, 

I think when they get the issues worked out and make it to mass production they would probably be the best bet out of all of the cars. They are really well built IMO. As for next year purchases, I think that’s still too soon to be able to pick one up. At least at the rate they are pumping them out right now.
Well built???  More like well designed.  I would say they are all built about the same. 

Has anyone here with a RZR had the seat break? I rode in one the other day and noticed how much the seat moved, Then talked to a buddy who is with the FD in Havasu, He said around 90% of RZR crashes (that he responds to), the seats have broken loose, 
Depends on which RZR model.   The newer models XP Pro, Pro R, and Turbo R have a much better mounting set up and it is solid.  No seat movement or rocking side to side.   The other models the seats rock side to side with the type of mounting set up used and if you do not get the rear latch secure I could see the seats coming loose.

I would like to know if there were no issues with any of the side x side , Honda,polaris,Canam,Kawasaki ,yamaha Including the speed car, And they were priced the same with no upgrades just stock. What car would you guys pick ??. I have never owned a side x side but thinking about ordering one next year . When the speed car gets there issues figured out , I think i may go that route. 
What I would like is the Can Am motor and drive train in a Speed Bandit.  Win Win!!!!

When you are ready to go buy a SXS next year I would try to get a rides in all the cars that your interested in or try and rent one and drive it.   You may think you want a particular brand/model and after you drive it your might not be so sold on it.  Same for a brand you were not considering that might suit your needs and driving style better. 

So many variables to the fires.   Some could be questionable wiring jobs from the owners, fuel lines or oil lines popping off (factory issue and possible owner/shop installing go fast stuff half ass), gas cans, random stuff in the hitting the exhaust, and who knows what else.  

FullSizeRender.MOV 45.45 MB · 14 downloads
😂😂 that was my fire extinguisher we used to put out her fire in that Rzr. Fire was cause by a belt change right before getting to swing set and putting the clutch cover back on without cleaning out any of the old belt. The remaining belt pieces in the breather tube caused the fire. She was lucky enough to be able to drive it back to her camp 

😂😂 that was my fire extinguisher we used to put out her fire in that Rzr. Fire was cause by a belt change right before getting to swing set and putting the clutch cover back on without cleaning out any of the old belt. The remaining belt pieces in the breather tube caused the fire. She was lucky enough to be able to drive it back to her camp 
Thanks for the update. It does seem like an awful lot of the RZR fires are due to owner neglect and as said earlier, snotty aftermarket work. Not saying none have been a factory defect, just saying from what I’ve seen personally, they weren’t a factory issue.

What I would like is the Can Am motor and drive train in a Speed Bandit.  Win Win!!!!

When you are ready to go buy a SXS next year I would try to get a rides in all the cars that your interested in or try and rent one and drive it.   You may think you want a particular brand/model and after you drive it your might not be so sold on it.  Same for a brand you were not considering that might suit your needs and driving style better. 
Yeh i agree with you sand shark , we have the maverick ,Ca am and a polaris in our group, I should drive them all. I really need to drive the new pro R, I heard that car is the chit .

Yeh i agree with you sand shark , we have the maverick ,Ca am and a polaris in our group, I should drive them all. I really need to drive the new pro R, I heard that car is the chit .
I want a pro r pretty bad! This one is bad azz!

F8C7800D-13DA-4421-8A4C-02CB16316BAC.jpeg

Pro R is really nice and they ride really nice.  At least the 2 four seater Pro Rs I drove were nice. 

I am curious what Can Am releases to compete with the Pro R.  Hopefully find out this summer.  

The original XP seats were pure sheeeyit. Holy hell those scared me.

So many variables to the fires.   Some could be questionable wiring jobs from the owners, fuel lines or oil lines popping off (factory issue and possible owner/shop installing go fast stuff half ass), gas cans, random stuff in the hitting the exhaust, and who knows what else.  
Or…

Insurance upgrades. 

Back