Speed UTV

He seemed a little bummed that is car ended up on the trailer and he could not do a review of his car.  He said that it was his impressions of the car based off the little time he had in his and driving Todd's car.

Odd thing he mentioned is the shifting into 4wd on the car.  It is not like all the other sport SXSs where you hit a button.  He had to have RG show him how to shift it into 4wd.   

He liked the overall gearing of the car.  Said the gears had a wider range before you need to go from low to high.  He liked that you can shift from high to low or low to high gear on the fly whereas in all other SXSs you have to stop (I agree that would be a nice feature). Commented the power delivery is smooth and great for when you are going slow over rock sections or technical sections.  Mentioned his X3 is more punchy, which is true.   

He went with the wide and high seats in his car and Todd's car I believe had the standard size seats.  Said he could feel the seats move/flex and mentioned something about how they are mounted could better.  For him the he is adding the air cushion as he was getting a little sore after the longer day ride. 

Suspension he felt was great in the slow speed chop and chatter (not sure if this was his car or Todd's).  Talked about the shocks having a wider range.   Seemed concern about springs sagging as he mentioned some of the other cars looked low.  He liked the way the car handled.

He did discuss some of the issues with the other cars including one not mentioned previously that had a charge tube falling off (easy fix).   All the owners mentioned loose latching on the tailgate.  There were some other small things than can be addressed.

He was upbeat about RG and company addressing the issues and getting the cars right.  

I be interested to hear more from him once he gets his car back and can take it out on his own.  He has a X3 and Pro R he can do a good comparison.

Bottom line is Speed has some QC issues that need to be addressed.  Really will not know how these hold up until the owner are set free to drive them how they want.     
I dont think I will have an issue since my riding consists of driving from Wash to Vendors. Then sand highway, back vendors then out to Drags.  Never been anywhere else, so my El Jefe should do fine.

With the evolution in the sxs game. More HP, more suspension, Longer and wider wheel base. Is 4x4 going to be as important as it once was in these machines?  I've talked to a few sxs owners with HP mods. They are not using 4wd and one has even removed the front diff and axles.  Prob a better question in a topic of its own.
Until you get stuck. No amount of HP gets you out even in light weight Sand Cars in 2wd and paddles.  I got stuck in my rail and when I had SXS.  Nice to have 4x4 in dunes.  Hell if my bro RZR had a working front diff he would not have gotten stuck and would have pulled me out.   

The Speed 4wd system is something I missed and yeah, nice with all the other MFG having to just push a button to engage 4x.  Now you cant with Speed??   El Jefe soon to be posted to highest bidder and I'll go get a Segway.

I always run in 4wd in my SXS unless I am on the pavement.   I am not sure why people run in 2wd in the dunes.  You can whip the ass end around in 4wd and have the luxury of the front tires helping pull through the turn.
I finally found something we don’t agree on! There is no way possible you can get as loose in 4wd as you can in 2wd. Drifting is hard to do as you need wheel spin to keep the drift and in 4wd the front keeps pulling you straight. If I wanna get loose and play dune I run in 2wd. If I’m racing through the dunes I’m in 4wd.

I finally found something we don’t agree on! There is no way possible you can get as loose in 4wd as you can in 2wd. Drifting is hard to do as you need wheel spin to keep the drift and in 4wd the front keeps pulling you straight. If I wanna get loose and play dune I run in 2wd. If I’m racing through the dunes I’m in 4wd.
LOL!  I agree 2wd is way easier to drift.   

Reactions: FOG
The Harley guys are equally guilty here. 
If you can't hear their speakers blasting "Born to be Wild" then how will you know they were Born to be Wild?

200.gif

WAIT.

Any updates on the 2nd batch of Speed UTV to be delivered? the next 10 or whatever was promised, there was a timeline that was supposed to increase each week.... or did the boat bust a U-Turn and go back to Chy-na.

200.gif

6 minutes ago, jginsandiego said:

I guess you didn’t get the memo about carb having been passed six months ago and they received their certificate recently. They finally got paper work before or during the king of the hammers two week event. You can skip through the first section somewhere in the middle Todd is standing up on the wheel of a car explaining how they got the carb cert. Now he doesn’t hold paper up but I suppose even if he was you guys still wouldn’t believe it so …. 

As if there's no reason not to believe. 

Fool me once...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back