Speed UTV

Those race UTVs are badass!   Good show.  
From what I saw, they look to be 90% or more like a production unit. The cage is TIG welded (I'm assuming chromo as well) and it has no doors, but other than that, I think it's the same as any other El Diabo. I'm sure the engine will be tuned up for more power, shocks dialed in for the race course, carbon fiber body, window nets. I can't think of anything else that's not available or different from a customer's car.

Speaking of more power, I was looking at the turbo on the engine on the left in the beginning of the video. I'm not familiar with the size of the factory turbos from Polaris and CanAm. That turbo seems to be pretty big for a 1,000cc engine.

What do you think? Is it the same size as the other two? I was guessing it was a little bigger and possibly capable of up to 500 hp. I can't wait to hear what they tune it up to for racing.

In one of the shows, RG revealed that they changed the exhaust manifold from Inconel to cast stainless(?), and also showed the larger turbine housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of the shows, RG revealed that they changed the exhaust manifold from Inconel to cast stainless(?), and also showed the larger turbine housing.
I remember that episode, the inconel was destroying bits so they switched to stainless so they could machine it. I don't recall Robby ever saying what size the turbo was. Probably on purpose.

From what I saw, they look to be 90% or more like a production unit. The cage is TIG welded (I'm assuming chromo as well) and it has no doors, but other than that, I think it's the same as any other El Diabo. I'm sure the engine will be tuned up for more power, shocks dialed in for the race course, carbon fiber body, window nets. I can't think of anything else that's not available or different from a customer's car.

Speaking of more power, I was looking at the turbo on the engine on the left in the beginning of the video. I'm not familiar with the size of the factory turbos from Polaris and CanAm. That turbo seems to be pretty big for a 1,000cc engine.

What do you think? Is it the same size as the other two? I was guessing it was a little bigger and possibly capable of up to 500 hp. I can't wait to hear what they tune it up to for racing.
Can Am turbo is small.  I never really paid attention to the Polaris turbo, but I do not recall it being very big.   Speed turbo is bigger. 

I would hope they leave the Speed UTVs at the 225hp.  They don't need more than that for a desert race.   In the production turbo class they are allowed to run tunes.  If so I would think most of the Can Am guys are using tunes that put them in the 200-220hp range.  Not sure what the Polaris guys run.   

Can Am turbo is small.  I never really paid attention to the Polaris turbo, but I do not recall it being very big.   Speed turbo is bigger. 

I would hope they leave the Speed UTVs at the 225hp.  They don't need more than that for a desert race.   In the production turbo class they are allowed to run tunes.  If so I would think most of the Can Am guys are using tunes that put them in the 200-220hp range.  Not sure what the Polaris guys run.   
You're right, hp goes a lot further in the dirt than in the sand. I don't think extra hp hurts just in case you need it for acceleration. If I had 300 hp on tap, I'd still use it in a race.

You're right, hp goes a lot further in the dirt than in the sand. I don't think extra hp hurts just in case you need it for acceleration. If I had 300 hp on tap, I'd still use it in a race.
Hp is only good if you have traction.  300hp might blow the tires off in the dirt.   Did RG or anyone discuss the power curve of the engine?   

UTV World Championship race is a lap desert race.  The course is going to get chewed up as the laps go on.  Suspension set up will be key.  

Can only imagine the cubic hours to get a car from prototype to finished product. Lots of car guys here so here is a cool vid getting the bugs out of the C6 Corvette before it went into production.  Just a neat different look. 

Yep, Even 172 HP is plenty for the desert in most cases. Spins the tires most of the time at that HP level. In the mountains after it has rained and the jeep roads are tacky more HP would be fun. Especially at 7000 feet elevation.

They had the test donkey up at the motocross race as the parade lap car. Heading down to SSSS

Back