Speed UTV

How do you pull start a car that’s CVT?
He wrapped a strap around the CVT pulley and pull started like a lawn mower. Yesterday they had Max on camera doing it at the finish line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not talk about members not here anymore, thanks!

Bummer weekend for Speed it seems, be interesting to see what is said officially if anything. 

Is the starter between the turbo and the block, or the other side of the motor?

Looks like the other side:

Speed-UTV-Motor-Specs-2-1536x864.jpg

Hard to judge from the illustration, obviously,  but the mounting pads, and basic design strongly resemble an OG Wildcat starter.

0825-032-4.jpg

Hard to judge from the illustration, obviously,  but the mounting pads, and basic design strongly resemble an OG Wildcat starter.

Wildcat starter wsa a POS.  It had gear issues. 

By that video I suspect Robby isn't going to run in the rock race.  He can't afford any more negative results after the desert debatable. It's pretty clear these cars aren't ready for production yet.  
Yep it was all a scam to steal the money and run off to some island somewhere right?

Hopefully bad batch then.

Wildcat starter wsa a POS.  It had gear issues. 
Ohh yeah. The only time I duned with a Wildcat, starter made terrible noises and stopped starting.  Luckily, it was in camp.  I think it was an extensive repair because it ate the flywheel (dude wasn't super mechanical, so related to me at a party). Looks like a MIM gear, so not surprised.

By that video I suspect Robby isn't going to run in the rock race.  He can't afford any more negative results after the desert debatable. It's pretty clear these cars aren't ready for production yet.  
Pretty sure two NON-production, one-off cars that are over a year old and likely not iterations of production units in the least, being driven by two of the most aggressive drivers in the industry in arguably gnarly track conditions, driving over 100mph(as high as 126mph) for extended periods, and only breaking a couple belts between the two and one bad starter - could be called a negative result.

The starter was a known issue of the past and addressed in production units.

Pre-production test mules haven't had any belt issues. Production units are speed limited to around 90mph. I don't think can-am or polaris would fair much better at those speeds. From what I saw, when the Speed was running good it was blowing by a lot of cars.

Pretty sure two NON-production, one-off cars that are over a year old and likely not iterations of production units in the least, being driven by two of the most aggressive drivers in the industry in arguably gnarly track conditions, driving over 100mph(as high as 126mph) for extended periods, and only breaking a couple belts between the two and one bad starter - a negative result.

The starter was a known issue of the past and addressed in production units.

Pre-production test mules haven't had any belt issues. Production units are speed limited to around 90mph. I don't think can-am or polaris would fair much better at those speeds. From what I saw, when the Speed was running good it was blowing by a lot of cars.
Those race cars have production motors and drivetrain.  So there is no excuses.   They allegedly had the clutches dialed in and no belt issues.  They have been testing the vehicles with no speed limiter on the cars.   They worked with Tapp to get the clutches dialed in. 

The Pro Rs were also doing 100mph and not one broke a belt.  Can Ams were also doing 90-100mph.   Chris Blais said he got up to 101mph in his Can Am X3 and he managed not to break a belt. 

The Speed UTV did look good when they were running.    

Normally nobody would care, but when RG has been doing nothing but telling everyone his Speed UTV is race ready and how superior his car is to the competition it is not a good look.  Especially when he spend all that time comparing the Speed UTV to the Pro R and Can Am and then gets smoked by the Pro R and Can Ams.   Not to mention it appears RG did not even bother racing yesterday.  Not sure if Max started the desert race or he too did not start.

Now add in RG breaking a production El Diablo pre-running on the rocks and it is not a good look.   

Those that do not follow desert racing will see these failures and think this is how the production car will be.  Those that follow desert racing know RG did not have much chance beating the top level teams and if he were to finish the races it would be a great accomplishment.  

The Speed UTV looks good in the desert.   Desert racing is a good test of the durability of the drivetrain and engine.  Just best to go race when you are fully prepared and not last minute.  

Good news is customers will be taking delivery of their cars next week.  Hopefully they have issue free ownership.  

Bummer if the starter issues are the same one from the Wildcat, that's just a missed opportunity and something people will talk shit about.

IG is brutal, the pull start post by another racer "Fish" whatever that guys name is was funny :lol:

Nope the messiah is running the rocks, at least there is video of him in the rock section.  Being pulled out of it by an evil canned ham, but he at least attempted to do the rocks.  

Once again Robby's own arrogance will cause him to not be as successful as he might be.    Robby nor Max should of ever shown up in one of those cars at a race, Until somebody else had raced a series.  Had he finished and won all of the other race teams would easily been able to say it wasn't a true production car, but a one off and of course it won... That would of been his best case scenario.

Worst case is there is a video of the car he claims is far inferior to his pulling him out and not finishing.

Back