Speed UTV

I am not 100% up to speed on costs for replacement parts but.......

If a Speed stuffs into a rock/witches eye/????? and breaks a suspension tab Vs CanAm/Polaris hits the same thing and bends the frame.....What is cheaper/easier to fix? Speed bulkhead is built/sold in parts. You have to replace half the bulkhead. Canam/Polaris, you have to replace a bent frame. 

I might be incorrect on the Canam Polaris but my buddy stuffed his Canam into a witches eye. It didn't break any major parts "off" the car. but it bent the frame enough that he had to replace it. Of course insurance pad for it. 

I am not saying one design is better than the other, two different ideas and both will work. You chose the one you like better. 

Now if I am in the middle of Baja and I break a tab off or damage the bulkhead......I am effed. If I bent the frame, I probably could half ass repair it to get home. 
My buddy stuffed his X3 in a witches eye the FIRST TIME he drove it in Glamis.. the frame IS bent and he just replaced the front arms,.. he DIDN'T insure it,.. which I think is CRAZY.

I even have GPS in my TH and Toy Box.. $75k in recdeipts... EACH.. I believe in insurance.

abc

39D3F680-BDC5-44B4-ADBB-D2B0A3226252.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you rip the tabs off the bulkhead on the Speed UTV repair bills might be the least of your worries.   It looks like it would have to be a substantial hit to rip those out and odds are you are going for a helicopter ride. 

With the Speed UTV it is not only replacing the case, but you also have to deal with the gearing in the front diff.  So that means sending it off to Weddle.   Still cost a lot less than replacing a frame.  Also you won't be taking out a radiator as it is in the back.  

Replacement of a frame on a Can Am is a $12,000-$15,000 or more with parts and labor.  Polaris is around the same.   It ain't cheap.

Only time I have seen bent frames on a Can Am or Polaris was after a person lawn darted really hard.   I can tell you the Polaris Pro R frame is a lot tougher and other parts give out before the frame bends.  Friend stuffed his Pro R and the lower a-arms ripped out of the tabs and his shock shafts broke.  This was not a 20mph into a witches eye.  It was a 50+mph launch.  
Why does weddle need to get involved in rebuilding a Speed front diff? Yes, I understand they helped design the diff, but re-assembling a front diff isn't rocket science. A front bulkhead case half probably $400-500. Beyond that all you're out is labor and sealant. 

Why does weddle need to get involved in rebuilding a Speed front diff? Yes, I understand they helped design the diff, but re-assembling a front diff isn't rocket science. A front bulkhead case half probably $400-500. Beyond that all you're out is labor and sealant. 
Someone with the tooling has to set pinion depth, backlash, preload, etc. Generally not a Joe Schmoe type job, but doable. No clue if there’s special fixturing needed here. 

Nick Olsen from Chupacabra offroad is one of those 6 cars.  He will for sure do a video of his shakedown run.  

RG will not have to do a gag order.  The Speed UTV owners will do that themselves.  After talking about this is the greatest thing since sliced bread for the last 3 years there is no way they will broadcast issues right away.  You think the 3 people that deleted their post are going to let everyone know about whatever issues may arise?

I know LOTD will not be posting pictures of lawndarted Speed UTVs.  
I'm a preorder. I defend Speed objectively in terms of design. In terms of execution and tact, not so much, historically. 

But if these first cars have problems that'll be bad. If Robby doesn't make it right, immediately, that will be the death of his brand. Period. 

Someone with the tooling has to set pinion depth, backlash, preload, etc. Generally not a Joe Schmoe type job, but doable. No clue if there’s special fixturing needed here. 
Hmm. I just exploded a rzr transmission. Other than adjusting backlash for the 'transfer case' output shaft(which was stupid easy), rebuild was a no brainer. What makes the Speed front diff more complicated to the point anyone with a clue couldn't rebuild? 

Hmm. I just exploded a rzr transmission. Other than adjusting backlash for the 'transfer case' output shaft(which was stupid easy), rebuild was a no brainer. What makes the Speed front diff more complicated to the point anyone with a clue couldn't rebuild? 
Setting gears in any diff isn't usually a job the normal person can do.  If spacing isn't perfect it can kill a set of gears really fast.  Much harder than a trans rebuild.

You must be forgetting the sign and drive world we live in. I would say that most people buying a SXS these days come from a generation of not knowing how to turn a wrench! Hell my son just told me they are taking his girlfriends truck to a shop to have a compression test done! His whole life has been around mechanics but is scared to try new things. In a world he grew up in with smart phones since he was a young kid, spent most of his days watching YouTube idiots, still forgets he can Google anything and some video of a redneck will pop up on YouTube and show you how to fix it!  I patiently told him he could borrow my Snap-On compression test kit and do it himself! 

Anything with a ring and pinion has a lot more setup in it than your regular transmission as I said in my other post: pinion depth/centering, backlash, preload.  Some of these will affect other parts of the setup, so it either takes good tools and lots of experience, or 57 iterations of install, check, move a shim, repeat. You're shimming to the thousandths on most R&P setups, so setup is critical.  Check preload on the pinion gear. Good? Check backlash.  Good?  Check pattern on the drive and coast side.  Centered, but too deep? Pull it apart and re-shim.  Screw it up and you'll be doing it again fairly quickly, and with the straight cut gears in the front diff, you probably won't hear your screwup until it cooks off on you. :biggrin:

Like I said: doable, but not a regular Joe Schmoe type job.  99% of us, including someone like me who's done it before (maybe especially me, lol), is going to send it off for rebuild.

Not even enforceable  - no one will sign it if they have a brain
Sure I will sign it but if I say anything what are they ( Speed ) going to do? Not sell me another one? Come take it back from me? Take me to court for giving my opinion? 

I don't think even RG's ego is that big.

I'm a preorder. I defend Speed objectively in terms of design. In terms of execution and tact, not so much, historically. 

But if these first cars have problems that'll be bad. If Robby doesn't make it right, immediately, that will be the death of his brand. Period. 
I think the reason he is doing a slow rollout of cars to customers is avoid any major issue and get anything corrected before the 500 cars get produced. 

The death of the brand will be if he does not have parts and dealer support for warranty work and service. 

I think the reason he is doing a slow rollout of cars to customers is avoid any major issue and get anything corrected before the 500 cars get produced. 

The death of the brand will be if he does not have parts and dealer support for warranty work and service. 
I was thinking the slow roll out is due to not having enough space and people to manage it all.............

I was thinking the slow roll out is due to not having enough space and people to manage it all.............
You can only hand build 6, 12, 24 at best in China, then the 50 my guess will be the Production run testing in Vietnam and then ramp up to full 500 if nothing major goes wrong.

Robby did say they held off on building space, because of unknown factors...he is being smart to be cautious and slow roll out these units in a staggered pace.

If all keeps looking good...keep ramping up to full production.

I think problems that occur right when those tires meet the dirt with Joe Public will be the thing to watch for. Anything that occurs x,xxx miles down is normal and expected.

Sign n drive idiots will wad up the front end and folks will complain.. driver error ..

I hope each ‘failure’ .. Will be taken into context.

I could list all of my RZR’s ‘failures’ as well as how many times the dealer had to fix/redo something they installed … it’s a long list.

SPEED should be turnkey preordered with little or no aftermarket crap.

Thats the main appeal IMO.

abc

35F251F7-E8E8-4E31-9ED2-E845E4C39722.jpeg

18A816B7-CE50-47CE-B9B2-BF259768331A.jpeg

7730AEC5-B1AE-42FE-A1E2-0064D888484B.jpeg

Sign n drive idiots
Sign and Drive Idiots are going to be weeded out by the close to $60K out the door price tag and there are not going to be "sign and drive" deals or "special " financing available. These are a boutique item, built for avid Off-Roaders not your average Joe Schmo. Doesn't mean they are not going to be driven irresponsibly or not crashed. 

Just given all of the simple things that Polaris, Can Am, Kawi, Honda and Yamaha have going for them, Like Name recognition and true factory support will over power the "cool" factor that Speed has going.  

Sign and Drive Idiots are going to be weeded out by the close to $60K out the door price tag and there are not going to be "sign and drive" deals or "special " financing available. These are a boutique item, built for avid Off-Roaders not your average Joe Schmo. Doesn't mean they are not going to be driven irresponsibly or not crashed. 

Just given all of the simple things that Polaris, Can Am, Kawi, Honda and Yamaha have going for them, Like Name recognition and true factory support will over power the "cool" factor that Speed has going.  
What makes you think they can't get similar financing? These sign and drive folks spend close to that by rolling all the extras accessories into the loan. Let's not forget to mention the big selling point on these is you don't or supposedly don't need to do any kind of upgrades

What makes you think they can't get similar financing? These sign and drive folks spend close to that by rolling all the extras accessories into the loan. Let's not forget to mention the big selling point on these is you don't or supposedly don't need to do any kind of upgrades
What makes you think they can sit down with the big financial players that the big guns deal with and walk away with the same deal ?  Nobody is going to be going to Robbie saying what can we do to get you to finance 10,000 units with us this year? Sure they might have a lender or two who they can go with but for the zero down zero interest drive and sign loans you need to move more units then Speed ever will and if Speed goes bust after the first batch or two come out and spare parts and dealer support dries up that financial institution is going to have a bunch of very expensive paperweights.

No Speed will be a beautique manufacturer who will produce more than a place like FUNCO  and a lot less than Polaris. 

What makes you think they can sit down with the big financial players that the big guns deal with and walk away with the same deal ?  Nobody is going to be going to Robbie saying what can we do to get you to finance 10,000 units with us this year? Sure they might have a lender or two who they can go with but for the zero down zero interest drive and sign loans you need to move more units then Speed ever will and if Speed goes bust after the first batch or two come out and spare parts and dealer support dries up that financial institution is going to have a bunch of very expensive paperweights.

No Speed will be a beautique manufacturer who will produce more than a place like FUNCO  and a lot less than Polaris. 
You are absolutely correct. You should see what dealers go through to get retail financing. 
The dealers who have financing in place will not necessarily get financing for a New manufacturer. It’s whole different process. 

If he is moving units at the dealers the financing will be there.  Lucky for RG he has partner Todd who knows how to get that done. 

Promotional rates are generally created by the OEM " buying the rate down".  Translation:Dump truck loads of marketing dollars.

Back