Speed UTV

I have a 2017 xpt. It's got shock tuning(Not Shock therapy), dual rate springs, and stiffer swaybars front and rear. Definitely helps keep the car more planted. But in stock form the lower trim RZR and X3 designs have a TON of room for improvement.
None are perfect.  They are all a compromise and you adapt.    It is amazing how much better they get when the shocks are tuned correctly.    

My first X3 I have stiffer Eibach front and rear swaybars.  That helped with the stock suspension.  I had the shocks tuned by Poundsand and it was an improvement.  Later on took them to Tom Morris and it was a huge improvement.  Current X3 has Tom Morris tuned shocks and I run the stock swaybars.   

I have seen some pretty aggressive driving in a RZR in the hands of good drivers and there is no tip overs.   I have seen people with average to below average skills tip them over.  

The lower roll center is just part of the equation.  I don't think the others having a higher roll center is the sole cause of tip overs.    
I’ve been thinking that all along. A very large percentage of roll overs are because of inexperienced drivers. People with no business drive these like they’re racing Baja. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve been thinking that all along. A very large percentage of roll overs are because of inexperienced drivers. People with no business drive these like they’re racing Baja. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Waiting to leave on Halloween, dude in a 4-seat X3 is hot-dogging in the washes.  Drifts right in front of me (roosting the people in line ahead of me), gets it fully sideways, slams on the brakes, and promptly puts it on its lid.  Suspension geometry didn't roll that X3, lack of understanding did.  

22 minutes ago, Jammer75 said:

Bandit looks cool.  

I like how he says in one part of the video he is leaving something for the aftermarket people to come up with something and another part of the video he says the hate is coming from the aftermarket because the Speed UTV does not need anything.  LOL!!!

In that post, yes.  Doesn't mean it's an invalid point though, especially since other than Speed's offering, all SxSs are some form of "multi-link" design.  Since they're spending profit on a more complicated design, there's probably a good reason for it.
Does axle cv angle, axle lengths come into play with them going to multi-link design?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandit looks cool.  

I like how he says in one part of the video he is leaving something for the aftermarket people to come up with something and another part of the video he says the hate is coming from the aftermarket because the Speed UTV does not need anything.  LOL!!!
Yeah,.. wasn't out of the box / turn-key pre-order your custom ride the 'sell?' ... It's taken me a lot of $$, hassle and time to 'build' up my Joyners.. almost finished 1-2 years in. 

Should be like a Tesla,.. right? .. all finished up front.

That's weird for him to say that IMO.

abc

Yeah but he was talking about the kink or non-smooth cage lines due to the section of cage being removed to make the bandit. 

I am glad he threw the towel in on this one minor item. Let the aftermarkets guys fix it. It is cosmetic at best. A year ago, he probably would of stopped everything and re-engineered the cage. At some point you have to say enough is enough. As much as they want.......nothing will be perfect. 

I don't mind if there a small non-performance items to fix/adjust/make personal. Its a 31k toy. If I wanted perfect, I would order a Jimco Dragon. But that one only costs 1.3mil. Even then people will analyze it and tell me why I should of bought a Mason. 

Yeah but he was talking about the kink or non-smooth cage lines due to the section of cage being removed to make the bandit. 

I am glad he threw the towel in on this one minor item. Let the aftermarkets guys fix it. It is cosmetic at best. A year ago, he probably would of stopped everything and re-engineered the cage. At some point you have to say enough is enough. As much as they want.......nothing will be perfect. 

I don't mind if there a small non-performance items to fix/adjust/make personal. Its a 31k toy. If I wanted perfect, I would order a Jimco Dragon. But that one only costs 1.3mil. Even then people will analyze it and tell me why I should of bought a Mason. 
I agree.  Just thought it was funny.  

Yeah,.. wasn't out of the box / turn-key pre-order your custom ride the 'sell?' ... It's taken me a lot of $$, hassle and time to 'build' up my Joyners.. almost finished 1-2 years in. 

Should be like a Tesla,.. right? .. all finished up front.

That's weird for him to say that IMO.

abc
You may have gone a little overboard on your builds.  LOL!   

If you were to build your SCU like you had back in the day it would cost you probably 2 times what it cost you back in the day, if not more.  

I actually DID build up the SCU.. right after I got it.. flames were shooting from the exhaust as I raced down the drags.. had folks flagging me down.. car's headers were changed by the previous owner (which likely changed airflow), but it wasn't retuned/dyno'd.. friend told me to do that, but instead I added an oil cooler and a HUGE 3/4 core radiator and went from 14' to 16' Spal fans.. that presented an issue as they didn't up the gauge of the wire.. cooked 3 LS wire harnesses before I got that straightened out.. Tcar was STILL overheating.. (to lean)... so I finally had it re-dyno'd and reprogrammed (lost a little HP) to richen it up... ran nice and cool after that... also re-did the dash .. twice so as to move all the radio controls, etc. for a 'in reach' for 1 driver. .. had a Harley custom paint dude do the wing.. came out really nice so it said ANGRYBUTTCRACK.. leaping off of 10' foot drops from Olds to Wash 6, broke the motor mounts.. which Buckshot built improved ones .. and then was 2nd gear and clutch only.. had the transmission rebuilt.

You're right though.. the 'add on's get expensive.

At this point I'm done with my SXS... all finished, just maintain.. unless I follow my heart and go back to a V8 LT rail.

.. we shall see.. I miss the 'race car.'

abc

abc.jpg

I actually DID build up the SCU.. right after I got it.. flames were shooting from the exhaust as I raced down the drags.. had folks flagging me down.. car's headers were changed by the previous owner (which likely changed airflow), but it wasn't retuned/dyno'd.. friend told me to do that, but instead I added an oil cooler and a HUGE 3/4 core radiator and went from 14' to 16' Spal fans.. that presented an issue as they didn't up the gauge of the wire.. cooked 3 LS wire harnesses before I got that straightened out.. Tcar was STILL overheating.. (to lean)... so I finally had it re-dyno'd and reprogrammed (lost a little HP) to richen it up... ran nice and cool after that... also re-did the dash .. twice so as to move all the radio controls, etc. for a 'in reach' for 1 driver. .. had a Harley custom paint dude do the wing.. came out really nice so it said ANGRYBUTTCRACK.. leaping off of 10' foot drops from Olds to Wash 6, broke the motor mounts.. which Buckshot built improved ones .. and then was 2nd gear and clutch only.. had the transmission rebuilt.

You're right though.. the 'add on's get expensive.

At this point I'm done with my SXS... all finished, just maintain.. unless I follow my heart and go back to a V8 LT rail.

.. we shall see.. I miss the 'race car.'

abc

View attachment 55095
You know they make the cool looking funco cage for SXSs......why stop now....

You know they make the cool looking funco cage for SXSs......why stop now....
Ugh.. I know .. have a buddy who bought one.. no all of my 'upgrades' are 'performance/saftey'.. well wait.. I guess the police PA/siren .. is just for fun.. but that wasn't expensive.

OK... I want to be left alone.. where's Michael Night!?.. He's the one we're here to flame!... LOL..

abc

gas 2.jpg

gas 1.jpg

gas.jpg

94FAB991-5838-46F6-9CB8-95D2D0CA2229.jpeg

729DF636-C808-414A-834A-B4A5DD647AAB.jpeg

B43841D3-8C23-4C68-ADCA-D2C5C09366D0.jpeg

So they’re saving profit on a less complicated axle design
Lol, I’m thinking the engineering cost to get a non-plunging setup correct, plus adding a more complicated spindle, 4-6 additional suspension links, mounting points and chassis reinforcement to the BOM more than offsets the savings from having straight grooves in the CV body and star instead of curved grooves…

Oh, forgot that the splines are a little longer. Tens of cents per unit in savings there! :biggrin:

Back