Speed UTV

While none of us are RG  -  He is as you said Very Good... my personal experience with the PRO-R consists of a lot of observed roll overs and unpredictability by some mid-experienced drivers (lots of 2 wheelin').  I do wonder if some of RG's compromises help or hurt that or he considered not everyone is RG?

I know a lot of people on GD believe the majority of Speed buyers are not New-bies and are coming from other SxS's or Sand cars  -  from my experience  there is still a learning curve on new cars, and SxS's are not very forgiving when you push them. 

Like my Z06 the grip in turns was great until it all of a sudden wasn't  :classic_biggrin:
Z06 was a very silent partner on the track. Drove one at a track day instructing a guy. 4th gear easy drift up Omega at WSIR, but you had to feel it in the seat, because that steering wheel commanding those steamrollers wasn’t tell you jack shiiiit. 

Not questioning any of the engineering principles, but don't disregard RG's personal/intentional setup, which may vary a ton from what will be delivered to customers. On this I can speak from experience. When the stillborn OG Wildcat RG Pro was imminent(another Arctic Cat bald-faced lie), we retrieved a unit fresh from a corporate demo event in Vegas. RG had set the car up so soft we found it to be totally unnerving to try to hustle it around. After a good bit of time adjusting it was worlds better, at least for our ham-fisted selves. Don't know if that's a factor in the photos above, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Newer RZRs like my 2 Turbo S models sit very high and you have to get used to the insane amount of body roll.

If ‘body roll’ is a concern, get a Canned Ham. They’re very ‘low slung’ and are for sure the superior dune vehicle IMO.

abc

PS. In all other venues I’ll take my RZRs all day. 

View attachment 55017
Most of the shock tuners also set the RZR up with higher ride height which does not help the situation. 

Pro R is spool rear as well, no? My second post on that shows both on asphalt. :biggrin:
Yes I know rzr/can am are spooled as well. My point being that it is the trailing arm design that causes the body roll when the rear tires scrub on asphalt. Is it a fault? Not sure, but I'll take the trailing arm and overall RG suspension design over any trailing link design. I think it was the dudes at Shock therapy that measured the scrub radius(I thing that's what they call it - basically track width change) on the pro R and it was embarrassing, something like 11 inches in the rear and positive camber at droop. Front not much better.

Not questioning any of the engineering principles, but don't disregard RG's personal/intentional setup, which may vary a ton from what will be delivered to customers. On this I can speak from experience. When the stillborn OG Wildcat RG Pro was imminent(another Arctic Cat bald-faced lie), we retrieved a unit fresh from a corporate demo event in Vegas. RG had set the car up so soft we found it to be totally unnerving to try to hustle it around. After a good bit of time adjusting it was worlds better, at least for our ham-fisted selves. Don't know if that's a factor in the photos above, but thought I'd throw it out there.
That could be a factor.   

Wouldnt another factor be that the images being compared are a 2 seater vs 4 seater that weights significantly more?

Yes I know rzr/can am are spooled as well. My point being that it is the trailing arm design that causes the body roll when the rear tires scrub on asphalt. Is it a fault? Not sure, but I'll take the trailing arm and overall RG suspension design over any trailing link design. I think it was the dudes at Shock therapy that measured the scrub radius(I thing that's what they call it - basically track width change) on the pro R and it was embarrassing, something like 11 inches in the rear and positive camber at droop. Front not much better.
I wouldn’t say it’s embarrassing, just different. The track change, I’m not certain dynamically if that’s a huge deal since it’s only narrow when there’s little load on the tire anyway (nearly fully drooped). Having different track widths front and rear (like the Speed will) might make it less predictable, but this is just a guess. On the RZR, camber goes positive at the lower end, but it appears to  gain camber on bump, so there’s a tradeoff.

But, that’s the fun of it. Since suspension is all about compromise, all of these will have good and bad traits depending on where you’re at. For flat out straight line desert, that camber doesn’t help much and might cause instability in the whoops (I haven’t heard complaints of this). For the dunes, I absolutely think it’s worth it, front end can use all the grip it can get.

On a ride, maybe you’re losing ground to your buddy through the bowls, but gaining it back on G outs and whoops. All fun in the end, and I doubt anyone in a Speed is going to be feeling like he can get out and push following his buddy’s Pro R, or vice versa. 

Wouldnt another factor be that the images being compared are a 2 seater vs 4 seater that weights significantly more?
Tighter stuff, the longer wheelbase won’t help. I assume the spring weights for each are tailored to the car and it’s weight though, so body roll should be relative. The SxS Blog guys also hoon a 4-seater RZR (not a Pro R) in the video. A lot less front wheel pickup action and overall body movement from the wheelbase. Looked more stable overall, but definitely didn’t like jamming on the brakes loaded up in a corner (which is a major performance driving No No anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBL
So he said:

Arrival on Jan. 11th and delivery Mid-February.

EPA Testing one more time. CARB still not approved, they didn't want to delay anymore.

12,12,24 then up to 500

:dunno:

Good Luck to RG and Speed on making it happen as promised this last show.
Hope these dates are solid. I’d really like to see a few Speed UTVs in the dunes this season. 

View attachment 54981

PoPo Firebomb for comparison:

This is the side-effect of a suspension that doesn't have positive camber at full droop.  What goes up, must come down, so that same suspension doesn't gain camber as it compresses.  All suspension design is about compromises.  This picture for the Speed is definitely worse than normal corner since caster will gain/lose camber, but it's definitely there:

View attachment 54985

You can see how the front is chewing the outside of the tire mercilessly.  Bumpsteer isn't everything, sometimes you have to turn.
Look at the “rear” tire camber in the last pic. The vehicle is relatively flat, but the tire is way tucked under

200.gif

Look at the “rear” tire camber in the last pic. The vehicle is relatively flat, but the tire is way tucked under
Yessir.  Disadvantage of the semi-trailing arm is less camber gain.  There's a reason every modern car that has a sniff of concern about handling has gone multi-link rear.

You must be talking about onroad vehicles, because every modern sandrail/dual sport offroad car still uses trailing arms.

You must be talking about onroad vehicles, because every modern sandrail/dual sport offroad car still uses trailing arms.
In that post, yes.  Doesn't mean it's an invalid point though, especially since other than Speed's offering, all SxSs are some form of "multi-link" design.  Since they're spending profit on a more complicated design, there's probably a good reason for it.

Whenever there's a thread comparing SxSs to buggies, the primary response is SxSs have a year-round riding season: desert in the winter, mountains in the summer, so handling grip will be a factor to consider.  Since multi-link lets you better separate roll resistance from ride compliance, it's the better all-around choice.

Desert cars generally care more about ride compliance and (even more) survivability than cornering grip, so yes, those remain trailing arm.  Rip a forest road or some other riding area where you spend a larger percentage of the time turning (like the dunes), and contact patch becomes more of a concern. 

Again, not saying it's garbage, just that it's not all green meadows, rainbows and puppies over in trailing arm land.  All suspension systems have compromises, and Robby's parade-pissing on the competition gets annoying when he Internet argues minutiae.  

It's all about ROLL CENTER. The RG design is better in almost every way compared to typical trailing link designs. He and his design engineer explained it at length in one of his videos. It's high roll center that causes the rzr's to roll over. Even with the higher body roll of the RG design on asphalt, it still maintains a low roll center.
I have seen some pretty aggressive driving in a RZR in the hands of good drivers and there is no tip overs.   I have seen people with average to below average skills tip them over.  

The lower roll center is just part of the equation.  I don't think the others having a higher roll center is the sole cause of tip overs.    

I have seen some pretty aggressive driving in a RZR in the hands of good drivers and there is no tip overs.   I have seen people with average to below average skills tip them over.  

The lower roll center is just part of the equation.  I don't think the others having a higher roll center is the sole cause of tip overs.    
Ayep.

Either way, based on what I've seen, bring your Dramamine if you get motion sickness. She rolls like a rowboat on high seas...  :biggrin:

I have a 2017 xpt. It's got shock tuning(Not Shock therapy), dual rate springs, and stiffer swaybars front and rear. Definitely helps keep the car more planted. But in stock form the lower trim RZR and X3 designs have a TON of room for improvement.

Back