Speed UTV

Slow progress is better then none. "On the slow boat from China" is not just a saying, but they will get here eventually.

Sounds like some recent tweaks made to the motor are requiring them to send the "updated" version of whatever they tweaked.

IMHO the ARB Cert is life/death to their being successful in the OHV Retail business. Regular folk won't mess with MSO's in CA.

Reactions: FOG
so 12 cars, 24 cars, then 40 cars then 500 cars. All coming form China right? This will be very interesting. All need Vin tags and being delivered to your local dealer? So I should be ready around October next year.

Why don't more people like the Textron? It has the most "buggy like" suspension out there. I guess being a Glamis group, the lower HP and narrower car are the big downfall (also 2-seater). I am a 90% desert guy and the Textron seems like a legit option. They are cheap too. I have been looking at them recently as a cheap purchase while I wait for the Speed (ok, same 5 dumbasses, give your same stupid responses now). I think in the CA and AZ deserts the Textron would be a good choice. They can be picked up for around 17K and that has lots of goodies added already. I would think a Textron would do OK in the dunes but certainly not shred them. No worse than a XYZ or Talon with (I would think) better suspension.
I’ve had the Textron XX since new in 2018. It is great in the desert and mountains. All my friends say it rides like it’s on pillows and the sand rail guys know what to expect from the trailing arm.

In the dunes it’s under powered 130hp but still follows the pack just fine, you just can’t win a drag race and some soft uphill bowl transitions are real tough. 

major issues are typically the water pump, spark coil failures, and random transmission and cv issues.

the new 2022-23 model is supposed to have a new trans and clutch setup, not sure if any have hit the showrooms, the whole Speed lawsuit and prior poor marketing really hurt this machine

What was the bit about 109? Was it hp or mph? He said it had a lot more left. That's crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
You, Tom Morris, and a few others are the only ones that seem to be able to valve the shocks without the the need of limit straps.  
Proper spring rate selection , and then matching valving to the rate used, is key, and if done correctly , you really don't have to "need" them... In my opinion, certain companies setup's force you to have to run straps, to band-aid the mechanics of spring rates they use..I also don't believe that that is by accident.. 

On E85 hit 109 on pavement and still have a LOT more left...I'm good....no need for that stuff at my age. 
That was on dyno.  But thats hauling the mail on e85 for sure.  I cant wait to see what a full tank of gas gets you with spirited driving,  running e85 in Glamis with the Speed cars.  

Proper spring rate selection , and then matching valving to the rate used, is key, and if done correctly , you really don't have to "need" them... In my opinion, certain companies setup's force you to have to run straps, to band-aid the mechanics of spring rates they use..I also don't believe that that is by accident.. 
it is just another way the shock tuner can get an extra 800 dollars or so per car, kind of like jiffy lube need an oil change and thy sell you belts hoses and wipers

That was on dyno.  But thats hauling the mail on e85 for sure.  I cant wait to see what a full tank of gas gets you with spirited driving,  running e85 in Glamis with the Speed cars.  
E85 with a heavy 4 seat SXS and fuel mileage in the dunes = 50 miles.   

What size is the fuel tank on the Speed UTV?

Just a thought of mine, no inside information or anything like that. I wonder if they shifted the manufacturing of the early number deposit holder cars to China just to help off set the price increases on everything from material to labor since this has taken so long to get to this point. I originally thought that the plan was to manufacture the cars in Texas in the new Hisun building, moving the initial build to China may have saved them some money to offset the material increases since there are number of cars locked in at the original pricing.

Just shy of 14 gallons
14 gallons on E85 might bet you 65 or so miles in the sand. 

Friends that had Can Ams with big turbos and E85 did not get great mileage in the dunes. 

Sounded like it was on the highway in NC, that’s why they didn’t included the clip in the presentation 👮‍♀️ 

Just a thought of mine, no inside information or anything like that. I wonder if they shifted the manufacturing of the early number deposit holder cars to China just to help off set the price increases on everything from material to labor since this has taken so long to get to this point. I originally thought that the plan was to manufacture the cars in Texas in the new Hisun building, moving the initial build to China may have saved them some money to offset the material increases since there are number of cars locked in at the original pricing.
Manufacturing was never intended to be in the USA/McKinney, TX. It was intended for finish assembly only. And McKinney plant is not the new plant. Mexico is. And from what I gather, the Mexico plant was purpose-built to facilitate production of Speed components. I believe long term goal is to have the vast majority of the car parts manufactured there in MX, assembled in 'modules'(front diff/a arms/shocks/spindle section, chassis parts, rear powerplant assembly, etc) then shipped to USA for assembly. Robby has posted pics of such 'modules' before. 

14 gallons on E85 might bet you 65 or so miles in the sand. 

Friends that had Can Ams with big turbos and E85 did not get great mileage in the dunes. 
Cause those guys were always on the gas to keep up with Dave or Brian in their sand cars! LMFAO

Manufacturing was never intended to be in the USA/McKinney, TX. It was intended for finish assembly only. And McKinney plant is not the new plant. Mexico is. And from what I gather, the Mexico plant was purpose-built to facilitate production of Speed components. I believe long term goal is to have the vast majority of the car parts manufactured there in MX, assembled in 'modules'(front diff/a arms/shocks/spindle section, chassis parts, rear powerplant assembly, etc) then shipped to USA for assembly. Robby has posted pics of such 'modules' before. 
I dont recall hearing anything about Hisun doing that for Speed.  Hope I am wrong and you are correct. But maybe Hisun already had that plant there and can easily pick up the production once everything is nailed down.  So far seems like that is months away. 

Cause those guys were always on the gas to keep up with Dave or Brian in their sand cars! LMFAO
This was before Brian had a sandcar and Dave was the only sandcar in the group.  Andy and Paul both had big turbo X3s running on E-85.   They could not make it to Duner's Diner and back from Gecko on a tank of gas. 

SXSs on E85 are not fuel efficient.  Heck even the Pro R is a gas hog and the Turbo S on 91.  My Can Am on 91 can go about 85 miles on a tank in the sand.   Current dune runs are 5-6 gallon runs chasing Brian around. 

I bet that Speed UTV is going to be a gas hog like the Turbo S in the sand.  Heavy car pushing lots of boost and a 2 cylinder motor are not going to be great on gas whether 91 or E-85.  Hence the 14 gallon tank and that 3rd gear for long graded roads or highway. 

Most dune rides in our 2 Turbo S models eat like you say 4-5 gallons.. think the tank is 9. I’m sure I could do duner’s diner back n forth from Gecko… it’d have to be a straight shot and wouldn’t probably try it from wash 10.

abc

Most dune rides in our 2 Turbo S models eat like you say 4-5 gallons.. think the tank is 9. I’m sure I could do duner’s diner back n forth from Gecko… it’d have to be a straight shot and wouldn’t probably try it from wash 10.

abc
The Turbo S certainly likes to drink the fuel.... thought I had my ford 460 in there for a minute....

Back