Speed UTV

When any part in the final drive goes , it does not. Drive Shaft, Alignment Coupling, Output spline coupling and ring & pinion are all in between the transmission and the rear axles and I broke all of it, One at a time. Switched over to the Avenger Driveline that was supposed to of been the bullet proof fix to all of that but by that time I was over the fun of shifting, driving and sliding like crazy.  It sucked being the last in line even if I was up front at the beginning of a ride all it took was one long hill or rough transition and I was going backwards fast. 

When I was making my choice it was between the RzR and YXZ because of trailer space. I was going used and Polaris recalls and then the belt was my list of pluses to the YXZ.  I got a great deal on my car and sold it only losing $500 ( Not including about $4K in repairs) so I did choose wisely there but in hindsight I should of gotten the RzR for the one thing the YXZ needs bad ( besides major suspension upgrades) is a turbo.
Well that does it, no YXZ. Thanks for the info.

I’ve driven both. No comparison unless you REALLY like shifting. I daily drive a manual despite it being the slower option, and I still think the X3 is a way better machine. 
I like shifting but don’t want a spend more time repairing than enjoying the drive. I rented a base X3 DS for a day and thought it was a pretty good ride, but I didn't have to do any long term maintenance like when you own a machine. Just had fun then returned it to the same corner I got it from, almost like a 

I like shifting but don’t want a spend more time repairing than enjoying the drive. I rented a base X3 DS for a day and thought it was a pretty good ride, but I didn't have to do any long term maintenance like when you own a machine. Just had fun then returned it to the same corner I got it from, almost like a 
There’s a lot of joints and random drivetrain parts to lube, and we haven’t lost a belt since replacing them beginning of every season. Shocks are starting to weep after 6 years, will probably get them recalled while in there. Only repairs needed were one belt, stupidly weak front sway bar links, the EPS recall (2017s only), and now front shocks. Not terrible at all

I have seen transmissions break on two seperate brands of UTV's as well.  Sometimes the inside parts just want to go out and party and there is no stopping them. 

axles and CVs they are just as much of a expendable/ consumable as the belts and you can limp home with a broken one. 

Not sure about the HONDA set up and If I know HONDA it is over engineered and over designed for reliability to bad they don't come with enough fun sauce is the biggest :classic_sad:  
Agreed, there is not a lot of fun sauce for the dunes in the Talon bottle straight from the supermarket. But add a turbo with about 8 pounds of reliable boost with the 6 speed transmission and the fun sauce  heats up. 
Granted the Speed key will get you almost twice the horsepower but cost 3 to 4 times the boost. How reliable will that be?

Exactly.. I think there are theoretically 2 options…

1. Wait for the SPEED unicorn which should be full turn-key.

OR

2. Get the new Pro R, Canned Ham.. whatever and spend $20k+ for all your upgrades and rally it.

When I got my 2nd Turbo S, I bought a dozen OEM belts, a front and rear replacement axle (since I have 8 axles, just a matter of time).. cages .. radios, Parker Pumper system, even have my Foodrill boxed arms being powder coated as I write this. Long and expensive road, but that’s the process to make them as reliable as possible.

abc

View attachment 54319

View attachment 54320
Option 3:  Go back to a Sand Car. Keep the SxS for summer trail rides. 

Why don't more people like the Textron? It has the most "buggy like" suspension out there. I guess being a Glamis group, the lower HP and narrower car are the big downfall (also 2-seater). I am a 90% desert guy and the Textron seems like a legit option. They are cheap too. I have been looking at them recently as a cheap purchase while I wait for the Speed (ok, same 5 dumbasses, give your same stupid responses now). I think in the CA and AZ deserts the Textron would be a good choice. They can be picked up for around 17K and that has lots of goodies added already. I would think a Textron would do OK in the dunes but certainly not shred them. No worse than a XYZ or Talon with (I would think) better suspension.

There’s a lot of joints and random drivetrain parts to lube, and we haven’t lost a belt since replacing them beginning of every season. Shocks are starting to weep after 6 years, will probably get them recalled while in there. Only repairs needed were one belt, stupidly weak front sway bar links, the EPS recall (2017s only), and now front shocks. Not terrible at all
Thanks for the feedback!

I couldn't wait any longer. Wife needed a family wagon. So I picked up a RZR PRO XP with HCR Long travel and bunch of goodies on it. Should be a good for a season or two while we continue to wait for the unicorn.

315520419_3187342494891039_6430472816123938542_n.jpg

Why don't more people like the Textron? It has the most "buggy like" suspension out there. I guess being a Glamis group, the lower HP and narrower car are the big downfall (also 2-seater). I am a 90% desert guy and the Textron seems like a legit option. They are cheap too. I have been looking at them recently as a cheap purchase while I wait for the Speed (ok, same 5 dumbasses, give your same stupid responses now). I think in the CA and AZ deserts the Textron would be a good choice. They can be picked up for around 17K and that has lots of goodies added already. I would think a Textron would do OK in the dunes but certainly not shred them. No worse than a XYZ or Talon with (I would think) better suspension.
Hey! :biggrin:

The lack of a factory turbo would be a killer for me from the get go as Glamis is my favorite spot, turbo helps.

Canned Ham probably would have been a better choice. I was always going 2 seaters, but was just more familiar with the Polaris/Joyner models, etc.

All valid points for the XX… would have been cheaper for sure.

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Yeah I forgot $3500 for each to Shock Therapy too. They replace the springs and radius rods.. besides tuning.. any how you have to dump money into them if you wanna rally IMO.

abc

OS. You don’t with SPEED because the car doesn’t even exist.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
LOL!    Shock Therapy is usually around $2,500-$2,800 for springs and valving. 

In the YXZ you really don't shift that much.  

Most don't look at them because AC/Textron did not advertise them much.  It is a great desert machine and with some shock work they work amazingly well.   The do fine in the dunes as well.

Saw a pack of them going around the dunes last week.  

Maybe I’m wrong about what I paid. I did one car 2 seasons ago and the 2nd car last season.

Hard to keep up with all the ‘upgrade’ expenditures 🤦‍♂️ :makerain:
Where some of the shock tuners get you for more money is limit straps.  The don't seem to know how to tune the shocks without the need of those.   LOL!

I couldn't wait any longer. Wife needed a family wagon. So I picked up a RZR PRO XP with HCR Long travel and bunch of goodies on it. Should be a good for a season or two while we continue to wait for the unicorn.

Nice Car.   Watch those HCR arms and trailing arms as they can develop some cracks.  My friend had to upgrade to the HCR desert race stuff.  

Where some of the shock tuners get you for more money is limit straps.  The don't seem to know how to tune the shocks without the need of those.   LOL!
Yeah it’s weird. 1st car only has limit straps on the front or back (can’t remember), the 2nd car has them front and rear and more stout radius rods.

Nice ride… you might just end up keeping it with that larger power plant.

imagine the HP if it was turbo!?

abc

Back