Speed UTV

Yeah, I hate the Pro R belt change situation, but in my Turbo S’ sand my old one, I’m like an Indy out crew. 5-10 minutes max. Just zip tie a set or 2 to the cage and have a ‘tool kit’ with all the goodies and it’s easy.

Replacing a diff or transmission.. nightmare. The belt weak point is no issue.

Another tip is as soon as it goes .. SLAM on the brakes and shut off the motor… the longer that clutch is spinning a belt, the more cord and shrapnel you’re going to have to fish out.

Few years back I lost one in the way to Comp hill and I let it roll out a long way before stopping.. big mistake as the cord was a mile long and wrapped a guzillion times around that clutch.. gloves .. pulling and clipping with dikes, that was a 45 minute no shade belt change nightmare.

Ok back to the SPEED debacle… headed to my favorite Kauai Beach today .. Polihale.

Other pic is my view from our 4th floor condo in PoiPu, Lawai Beach resort.

abc

image.jpeg

0DEBB2DB-7293-4F33-963E-6D8BBBE8D4A5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I hate the Pro R belt change situation, but in my Turbo S’ sand my old one, I’m like an Indy out crew. 5-10 minutes max. Just zip tie a set or 2 to the cage and have a ‘tool kit’ with all the goodies and it’s easy.

Replacing a diff or transmission.. nightmare. The belt weak point is no issue.

Another tip is as soon as it goes .. SLAM on the brakes and shut off the motor… the longer that clutch is spinning a belt, the more cord and shrapnel you’re going to have to fish out.

Few years back I lost one in the way to Comp hill and I let it roll out a long way before stopping.. big mistake as the cord was a mile long and wrapped a guzillion times around that clutch.. gloves .. pulling and clipping with dikes, that was a 45 minute no shade belt change nightmare.

Ok back to the SPEED debacle… headed to my favorite Kauai Beach today .. Polihale.

Other pic is my view from our 4th floor condo in PoiPu, Lawai Beach resort.

abc

View attachment 54297

View attachment 54296
Nice views. 
Did you happen to see a boat with some Speed UTVs on it?

Nice views. 
Did you happen to see a boat with some Speed UTVs on it?
Ha .. no but my wife, brother-in-law and 2 of his kids did the Zodiac to the Nepali coast. Surf was rough so they couldn’t snorkel or go into the caves, but still had an epic time.

Did see one SPEED ship with “12 cars” almost make it to shore…  :rofl:

abc

254A6340-EFAC-4D51-A5FA-3EBE42431B26.jpegimage.jpeg

Honda fans in 3-2-1...
OK.
From what I have read, the Honda Talon trans and diff were designed for somewhere between 300 to 500 hp. So that would more than likely make the axles and CVs the weak links.  Yes?

And I’ve seen axles/CVs break on belt driven UTVs. 

OK.
From what I have read, the Honda Talon trans and diff were designed for somewhere between 300 to 500 hp. So that would more than likely make the axles and CVs the weak links.  Yes?

Exactly.. I think there are theoretically 2 options…

1. Wait for the SPEED unicorn which should be full turn-key.

OR

2. Get the new Pro R, Canned Ham.. whatever and spend $20k+ for all your upgrades and rally it.

When I got my 2nd Turbo S, I bought a dozen OEM belts, a front and rear replacement axle (since I have 8 axles, just a matter of time).. cages .. radios, Parker Pumper system, even have my Foodrill boxed arms being powder coated as I write this. Long and expensive road, but that’s the process to make them as reliable as possible.

abc

5A92D15C-5747-4FC4-83C5-7388AE37E0BC.jpeg

2FC829BE-6A0A-4088-9137-0D40ED8EC508.jpeg

OK.

I have seen transmissions break on two seperate brands of UTV's as well.  Sometimes the inside parts just want to go out and party and there is no stopping them. 

axles and CVs they are just as much of a expendable/ consumable as the belts and you can limp home with a broken one. 

Not sure about the HONDA set up and If I know HONDA it is over engineered and over designed for reliability to bad they don't come with enough fun sauce is the biggest :classic_sad:  

Reactions: FOG
More PSI normally means more wheel spin.  Not sure if that would keep the belt cooler.  Could be he had to change his driving habits as a consequence of higher PSI which in turn was the driving habits needed to keep belts alive. 

I never had issues with belts on my XP1000 and use to run 10psi in paddle tires.   
Thanks for the explanation.

With higher PSI yes more wheel spin and less ‘hook up’ easier on the drivetrain and therefore the belts. 

I have no ‘technical’ proof just years of experience with the ‘rubber band’ driven rides. 

Driving style is still flat out foot stomped to the ground.

Doubt that will ever change.

abc

View attachment 54259
Thanks for the explanation.

I have seen transmissions break on two seperate brands of UTV's as well.  Sometimes the inside parts just want to go out and party and there is no stopping them. 

axles and CVs they are just as much of a expendable/ consumable as the belts and you can limp home with a broken one. 

Not sure about the HONDA set up and If I know HONDA it is over engineered and over designed for reliability to bad they don't come with enough fun sauce is the biggest :classic_sad:  
See the first part of your sentence on why they don't come with much fun sauce. :biggrin:

Exactly.. I think there are theoretically 2 options…

1. Wait for the SPEED unicorn which should be full turn-key.

OR

2. Get the new Pro R, Canned Ham.. whatever and spend $20k+ for all your upgrades and rally it.

When I got my 2nd Turbo S, I bought a dozen OEM belts, a front and rear replacement axle (since I have 8 axles, just a matter of time).. cages .. radios, Parker Pumper system, even have my Foodrill boxed arms being powder coated as I write this. Long and expensive road, but that’s the process to make them as reliable as possible.

abc

View attachment 54319

View attachment 54320
Pro R does not need much after purchase.  If you are concerned about the lower ball joint Lone Star with trade you your stock lower arms for stock ones they gusset and add a cup with a uniball for $1,400.00.  The Shock Therapy shock fork and spring retaining cup is $500.  You will need new springs as the Polaris once won't last more than a season, so another $900 for springs. 

Add radio/intercom and some lights for night rides and you are golden.   Already comes with built in GPS and a stereo. 

Can Am needs some gusset kits if you plan on keeping it more than a few years.  

Reactions: GBR

My friend had a bearing go out on his Turbo S transmission.  Thankfully it happen in the flats leaving the washes so it was not a long tow back.  We had to remove the rear axles so it would roll.

This past week my friends Can Am would come out of gear under a heavy load.  Happen on a night ride as we were leaving the Swing Set.  Once he was towed to Gecko he was able to drive it back along sand highway back to camp in Wash 12.  That was the first time I have seen an issue with a Can Am transmission.  I killed a front diff in my 2018 X3 when the ring gears decided to leave out the diff cases. 

As a former YXZ owner I would rather change a belt before every ride then get a ride without one again. Changing a belt is a inconvenience I can live with. Getting towed out on three different occasions was not fun at all. 
What is it about the YXZ that gets it stuck more? I am leaning towards a X3 DS but after the conversation here thought the no CVT and no belt of the YXZ would have gave it a notch up.

What is it about the YXZ that gets it stuck more? I am leaning towards a X3 DS but after the conversation here thought the no CVT and no belt of the YXZ would have gave it a notch up.
When any part in the final drive goes , it does not. Drive Shaft, Alignment Coupling, Output spline coupling and ring & pinion are all in between the transmission and the rear axles and I broke all of it, One at a time. Switched over to the Avenger Driveline that was supposed to of been the bullet proof fix to all of that but by that time I was over the fun of shifting, driving and sliding like crazy.  It sucked being the last in line even if I was up front at the beginning of a ride all it took was one long hill or rough transition and I was going backwards fast. 

When I was making my choice it was between the RzR and YXZ because of trailer space. I was going used and Polaris recalls and then the belt was my list of pluses to the YXZ.  I got a great deal on my car and sold it only losing $500 ( Not including about $4K in repairs) so I did choose wisely there but in hindsight I should of gotten the RzR for the one thing the YXZ needs bad ( besides major suspension upgrades) is a turbo.

I’ve driven both. No comparison unless you REALLY like shifting. I daily drive a manual despite it being the slower option, and I still think the X3 is a way better machine. 

Pro R does not need much after purchase.  If you are concerned about the lower ball joint Lone Star with trade you your stock lower arms for stock ones they gusset and add a cup with a uniball for $1,400.00.  The Shock Therapy shock fork and spring retaining cup is $500.  You will need new springs as the Polaris once won't last more than a season, so another $900 for springs. 

Add radio/intercom and some lights for night rides and you are golden.   Already comes with built in GPS and a stereo. 

Can Am needs some gusset kits if you plan on keeping it more than a few years.  
Yeah I forgot $3500 for each to Shock Therapy too. They replace the springs and radius rods.. besides tuning.. any how you have to dump money into them if you wanna rally IMO.

abc

OS. You don’t with SPEED because the car doesn’t even exist.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

No low end.. you have to have them at high RPmS, no torque.

PS. Polihale Beach

F0876189-736D-4E57-A35F-AF07C6BD1D7D.jpeg

6F0792B4-E35B-4D89-9135-D001BCB28EF4.jpeg

Back