Speed UTV

For how long???  A LOT of people want to talk chit on him and he's just supposed to sit back and take it?  He was just pointing out the obvious that when they needed something from him, he was there for the off road community. When he tries to do something great for the off road community they have problem bashing him for entertainment.  Pretty sad actually.   They haven't done the greatest job with the communication portion, but at least they tried. I bet if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't. 
Obviously you haven’t followed or researched RG’s career. He loves the controversy. 

For how long???  A LOT of people want to talk chit on him and he's just supposed to sit back and take it?  He was just pointing out the obvious that when they needed something from him, he was there for the off road community. When he tries to do something great for the off road community they have problem bashing him for entertainment.  Pretty sad actually.   They haven't done the greatest job with the communication portion, but at least they tried. I bet if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't. 
Everyone shits on Polaris. Michael Speetzen doesn't engage in Twitter battles with people making fire memes. No winning there.

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

I can wait as long as it takes to get one.  At least he is truly testing the "Production" units real world and is now seeing the flaws that China and other sourced have produced.  Test all you want Speed keep breaking $hit and keep fixing them before you release it to the public.  Just stop promising timelines and the hate will die down.  

It will be interesting to see what CanAm will release after sitting on the sidelines for so long.  My only concern is when it is released, it will be priced at $50K!  I have to draw the line somewhere with toys except if its a 4 seat V8 Sand Car!

We are not making it to 300 if Robby takes stuff Offline.... the internet is the new way to handle things...

Found someone's post on FB on what happened.  Dont know the guys source.....

[SIZE=0.9375rem]Speed UTV has two injectors per cylinder One of the injectors went out and the computer did not have a safety procedure for that and it leaned out the cylinder The problem will be fixed through the ECU so it'll never happen again it never [/SIZE]happened on any of the other engines that they've been running for 3 years and no one thought about when one injector goes out and one is still working what would happen over a week ago when Robbie was talking about safety procedures that's what he was talking about taking the cars out and working on some safeguards in the ECU to put the car into limp mode when it detects a problem it was actually a good thing that it happened now it should not happen to any of our production cars

I can wait as long as it takes to get one.  At least he is truly testing the "Production" units real world and is now seeing the flaws that China and other sourced have produced.  Test all you want Speed keep breaking $hit and keep fixing them before you release it to the public.  Just stop promising timelines and the hate will die down.  

It will be interesting to see what CanAm will release after sitting on the sidelines for so long.  My only concern is when it is released, it will be priced at $50K!  I have to draw the line somewhere with toys except if its a 4 seat V8 Sand Car!
The problem is if he keeps testing he will never release the car.  It is an off-road toy and stuff breaks.   It will never be perfect.  

Can Am will release something that will be very close in price to the Pro R.  

The problem is if he keeps testing he will never release the car.  It is an off-road toy and stuff breaks.   It will never be perfect.  

Can Am will release something that will be very close in price to the Pro R.  
I heard CanAms answer to the pro r is pretty bad azz! 

[SIZE=0.9375rem]Speed UTV has two injectors per cylinder One of the injectors went out and the computer did not have a safety procedure for that and it leaned out the cylinder The problem will be fixed through the ECU so it'll never happen again it never [/SIZE]happened on any of the other engines that they've been running for 3 years and no one thought about when one injector goes out and one is still working what would happen over a week ago when Robbie was talking about safety procedures that's what he was talking about taking the cars out and working on some safeguards in the ECU to put the car into limp mode when it detects a problem it was actually a good thing that it happened now it should not happen to any of our production cars
I’m sorry but this motor was designed and built by professionals. It’s one of the things RG bragged on. So to say they didn’t think about what would happen if they lost an injector is plain BS. Sounds like another lame RG excuse to me. For as long as the first car has been out, you would think the bugs would be worked out. That test mule has over 10k miles on it. How could you not have bashed the hell out of that car in 10k miles? 

I'm sure they bashed the hell out of it, just decided to fail now. Maybe they thought it would go into limp mode....maybe they just overlooked it... My main concern is ......what about the production cars that are already done..so they got to swap out all the ecms???? I mean they are being built already right?????

You have the guru of engine tuning/wiring James Lin, you have some end all be all company that does the ECU,  and you have all these experts in engine building. Not to mention all the dyno time and alleged testing. We are to believe they did not have built in fail safes in the ECU programing?   Every modern motor has fail safes build in to put the car in limp mode.   How many threads on forums or post on FB pages are there about people's UTVs going into limp mode and trying to figure out what the codes mean?

My first Can Am X3 went into limp mode several times because of issues with misfires which was ultimately caused by too much paste on the spark plugs.  

Recently on my Baja trip my friends XP1000 had a bad injector and his car went into limp mode to protect the motor.  His car is a 2016.  

The fact they are having these issues on alleged production motors is not confidence inspiring on the reliability front.   

I'm sure they bashed the hell out of it, just decided to fail now. Maybe they thought it would go into limp mode....maybe they just overlooked it... My main concern is ......what about the production cars that are already done..so they got to swap out all the ecms???? I mean they are being built already right?????
To be honest, I don’t think that is what happened. Some other failure occurred that they don’t want leaked out. I wouldn’t fear the ECU or the tuning. I would fear what is being hidden. 

RG is posting on instagram pictures of what appears to be completed customer cars. A flash of the ECU to add in whatever failsafe the come up with could be done once they make it state side.  

I’m sorry but this motor was designed and built by professionals. It’s one of the things RG bragged on. So to say they didn’t think about what would happen if they lost an injector is plain BS. Sounds like another lame RG excuse to me. For as long as the first car has been out, you would think the bugs would be worked out. That test mule has over 10k miles on it. How could you not have bashed the hell out of that car in 10k miles? 
When a major OE comes out with a motor, they throw dozens of them on dynos in varying regimens and test them to failure or expected lifetime 24 hours a day for months to a year.  Some of this is because they "value engineered" the motor a bit and want to make sure it doesn't bite them, but most of it is because they take these things very seriously, especially when you consider how many product lines the engine ends up on.  Polaris and BRP put their SxS motors EVERYWHERE.  A common failure with the motor and its ECU parameters will have echoes across the entire company.

Test mules themselves?  OEs will build dozens or more of them, stick some of them on Kinematics and Compliance testers and let them run.

3-million-dollar-machine-tests-car-chassis-inline2-photo-681909-s-original.jpg

Some get thrown on a shaker rig, some get thrown on drivetrain dynos and run mercilessly 24 hours a day through a pre-programmed testing regimen (replete with ultra-shitty "weather" across the gamut).  Others end up in vehicle development engineers hands like my buddy Dave Coleman at Mazda.  There are at least a couple, if not dozens, of these guys at every car company.  They flog vehicles on test courses for months.  Once they're fairly confident in the vehicle, they go out in public either heavily disguised, or in low populated areas in the hands of these engineers and others on the team (powertrain especially).  The startups (like Rivian) tend to "disguise" their mules with super bright wraps, but there are gazillions of miles of testing amongst dozens or hundreds of mules.  
rivian-r1t-doug-demuro-2-jpeg.1609

Every vehicle that goes out has a gazillion data-logging sensors on it.  An engineer notices something, he snap-shots the time period, and they all go back and quantify it in the data.  There's enough computing on-board a development mule to shoot a team into space.  When one of my longest friends (chief 12VDC engineer at Rivian) stopped by with an R1T that wasn't to start FRP for over a year, there was kilowatts of dataloggers on the thing (and it was still nauseatingly fast).  The one he brought by was production drivetrain, batteries, suspension and frame, but the body was hand built and the entire interior was 3D printed. "Please don't slam the doors, they're made of chit ABS."  

There's a LOT that goes into making a mass-produced vehicle.  A near equal amount (and often more) goes into an engine line.  All of this costs money and we end up paying for it when we purchase the vehicle. Despite all of that investment and data, chit slips by (looking at you Polaris). All of this sunk cost in testing is why you see chintzy welds, or thin tubing, or whatever else: all of it costs money, there's only so much you can bake into a vehicle.  Compromises have to be made everywhere.

Back