Speed UTV

One other thought, If team Speed was allowed to run today.   Hopefully they pulled an all nighter and swapped motors on the 2 seat race car.   Probably wishful thinking 

The race results don’t matter at this time. What matters is all the hard working people getting strung along like a bunch of ……..

The race results don’t matter at this time. What matters is all the hard working people getting strung along like a bunch of ……..
I have to agree here.... 

Is there a way to do a poll of what the next excuse will be?

My vote is hurricane Ian

i-thought-hurricane-season-was-over-eat.gif

Sad showing for speed and robby for sure. more ammo for the haters :cheers:  

This is the third big blunder as a result of bad inspections. Aren’t fuel lines, brake lines, and oil lines a major part of race prep inspections?

So an oil line came off...somebody Eff'd up.... and this Means the entire Speed car is junk now????  Wow.....

So officially when will they be ready to deliver? Without all of the excuses what is the official word from RG himself? A month? 2 months? Middle of 23? Fall of 23?

Last edited by a moderator:
So an oil line came off...somebody Eff'd up.... and this Means the entire Speed car is junk now????  Wow.....
Nobody has said that here. What I said was it was an over site by someone prepping the car for a race. Don’t forget this isn’t his first rodeo or his teams first rodeo. It’s evident that he is behind the gun on trying to reach deadlines that things are being over looked. He was under the gun on presenting the first demo car for SSSS 2021 and we saw the “ bolt heard round the world”. He was under the gun to produce some cars for SSSS 2022 and the broken trailing arm tab was missed. Now because he had so much going on for the SSSS that race prep was overlooked on his first race car showing. Yes accidents happen but these are huge mistakes when trying to prove that your product is superior to the others. Sprinkle in the bad talk he has made about the sub par products Polaris and CanAm are putting out and yet those very cars finished hours before his car. Not just the modified class but the stock UTV class as well. You don’t see anything wrong here? To top it off, he has been racing for many moons. He and his team know how to prep for a race. This oversight made for a bad showing when he needed to crush it. People that don’t know any better may start questioning how well the QC really will be on the new builds. A lot is riding on his showings and so far they are lacking. Sad because the car is built so much better than the bad press he gets.

I don't think anyone said that or made that leap.  It certainly does not look good from a prep standpoint. 

Not surprised as RG and his team have been a last minute prep for quite some time.  He has too much in the fire and everything seems to be last minute when it comes to racing off-road.   Over the last 15 years RG had better success when he was racing the RPM trucks and truggy.  They did all the prep and he just showed up.  I believe his last win in Baja was 2013 at the 500, which was in a RPM truck/truggy.

There are too many competitive teams racing off-road so victories and podiums come down to prep of vehicle and the team itself.  

They did continue the NORRA 500 in one of the pre-production cars that had 3,000+ miles on it.  So at least that car finished.  

By the way this is the second time a race built Speed UTV has not completed a race.  The Dakar built one did not make it very far before having an issue and now the NORRA 500.  The NORRA issue was a prep issue and I forgot what happen to the Dakar one.

For those that think the Speed UTV is just going to show up and win they will be in for some disappointment.  It usually takes a season of racing to iron out some of the gremlins.  They do not have the luxury of others racing the same machine to see what works and what fails in race conditions.  They will be their own R&D for the race stuff.  The Speed UTV may get lucky and see some podiums, but I will bet those cars will be from people that have been racing UTVs and are a well prepped team. 

There are a lot of talented drivers and teams racing UTVs.  It will not be a cake walk for RG and his team.   

I don't think anyone said that or made that leap.  It certainly does not look good from a prep standpoint. 

Not surprised as RG and his team have been a last minute prep for quite some time.  He has too much in the fire and everything seems to be last minute when it comes to racing off-road.   Over the last 15 years RG had better success when he was racing the RPM trucks and truggy.  They did all the prep and he just showed up.  I believe his last win in Baja was 2013 at the 500, which was in a RPM truck/truggy.

There are too many competitive teams racing off-road so victories and podiums come down to prep of vehicle and the team itself.  

They did continue the NORRA 500 in one of the pre-production cars that had 3,000+ miles on it.  So at least that car finished.  

By the way this is the second time a race built Speed UTV has not completed a race.  The Dakar built one did not make it very far before having an issue and now the NORRA 500.  The NORRA issue was a prep issue and I forgot what happen to the Dakar one.

For those that think the Speed UTV is just going to show up and win they will be in for some disappointment.  It usually takes a season of racing to iron out some of the gremlins.  They do not have the luxury of others racing the same machine to see what works and what fails in race conditions.  They will be their own R&D for the race stuff.  The Speed UTV may get lucky and see some podiums, but I will bet those cars will be from people that have been racing UTVs and are a well prepped team. 

There are a lot of talented drivers and teams racing UTVs.  It will not be a cake walk for RG and his team.   
I can’t agree more with everything you said. One thing I find amusing is the lack of replies from the main ticket holders here. We see you lurking but no replies?! Guess that’s what keeps this thread on track.

Well their plan to win was to bring the custom built one off 350hp carbon fiber 2 seater race car.  This is far cry from the production car they are selling the public.  The production car performed average at best against the other UTVs.  Yes the production car has some sweet components,  but if you’re thinking it’s a total game changer I don’t think so. I monitored the race yesterday and barely saw the car hit 60.  Highly doubt that the 3rd gear overdrive was used at all.

My thoughts are,  this car is cool and the latest greatest thing.  But at Glamis, I highly doubt it will keep up with a fast and nimble Evo 3R Can Am on pump gas in the dunes, but for Desert the Speed car should be awesome.  The 300 hp option on E85 might be a must for Glamis.  But I doubt too many people are willing to fork over close to $500.00 in fuel for a long weekend for a UTV.  Remember the fuel burn is double on E85 and to get quality E85 (VP)  I bet it’s pushing  7-8 dollars a gallon these days.  My plan is keep both cars for now, but was hoping to get down to one car.   I will run the Speed car at both places,  Glamis and at the Desert and see how it all shakes out.  Can Am is the ace in the hole until Speed car arrives.  But I will not sell Can Am till I fully evaluate the Speed car.  Have a feeling I will need to keep both cars.  

Well their plan to win was to bring the custom built one off 350hp carbon fiber 2 seater race car.  This is far cry from the production car they are selling the public.  The production car performed average at best against the other UTVs.  Yes the production car has some sweet components,  but if you’re thinking it’s a total game changer I don’t think so. I monitored the race yesterday and barely saw the car hit 60.  Highly doubt that the 3rd gear overdrive was used at all.

My thoughts are,  this car is cool and the latest greatest thing.  But at Glamis, I highly doubt it will keep up with a fast and nimble Evo 3R Can Am on pump gas in the dunes, but for Desert the Speed car should be awesome.  The 300 hp option on E85 might be a must for Glamis.  But I doubt too many people are willing to fork over close to $500.00 in fuel for a long weekend for a UTV.  Remember the fuel burn is double on E85 and to get quality E85 (VP)  I bet it’s pushing  7-8 dollars a gallon these days.  My plan is keep both cars for now, but was hoping to get down to one car.   I will run the Speed car at both places,  Glamis and at the Desert and see how it all shakes out.  Can Am is the ace in the hole until Speed car arrives.  But I will not sell Can Am till I fully evaluate the Speed car.  Have a feeling I will need to keep both cars.  
Does the 300 horsepower option (speed key) still cause you to lose the drivetrain warranty?

Back