Speed UTV

Well their plan to win was to bring the custom built one off 350hp carbon fiber 2 seater race car.  This is far cry from the production car they are selling the public.  The production car performed average at best against the other UTVs.  Yes the production car has some sweet components,  but if you’re thinking it’s a total game changer I don’t think so. I monitored the race yesterday and barely saw the car hit 60.  Highly doubt that the 3rd gear overdrive was used at all.

My thoughts are,  this car is cool and the latest greatest thing.  But at Glamis, I highly doubt it will keep up with a fast and nimble Evo 3R Can Am on pump gas in the dunes, but for Desert the Speed car should be awesome.  The 300 hp option on E85 might be a must for Glamis.  But I doubt too many people are willing to fork over close to $500.00 in fuel for a long weekend for a UTV.  Remember the fuel burn is double on E85 and to get quality E85 (VP)  I bet it’s pushing  7-8 dollars a gallon these days.  My plan is keep both cars for now, but was hoping to get down to one car.   I will run the Speed car at both places,  Glamis and at the Desert and see how it all shakes out.  Can Am is the ace in the hole until Speed car arrives.  But I will not sell Can Am till I fully evaluate the Speed car.  Have a feeling I will need to keep both cars.  
The Pro R is no slouch in the desert and in fact from talking to people that have driven them they shine in the desert.  I think the Pro R four seater will be much like the Speed El Jeffe in the dunes.  It will get you there but will not be as nimble as a 2 seater. 

My friend has a 4 seat Pro R so I will get to see firsthand how it does in the dunes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They stock?
Nope they aren’t stock by any means. I feel like you know that though! Neither are the Polaris Pro R’s that were racing. What the race built Pro R’s had in common with the stock ones is the Clevis. You know, the biggest pile of crap idea ever invented and was obviously a last minute idea from Polaris to be able to make the front end work! Tell me again, how did the CanAms and the Pro R’s fair against the race built Speed UTT?

They stock?
Those raced in the modified turbo class.  They still have the god awful rear link suspension.  LOL!  There were plenty of UTVs racing in the stock class at the NORRA 500.  

In the interview at the end RG said he ran the car on the 225Hp stock setting.  My question is why didn’t they run it on the 300Hp Speed key at least the 2nd day.  You know they had planned on running the Race car on E85,  so they had the fuel. That would have been a better test and showing for the Speed Car.  Perhaps Race car had a bigger fuel cell in it.  idk  I saw Daniel his lead Engineer there,  assuming he could have throw the 300hp tune in it real easily.  

In the interview at the end RG said he ran the car on the 225Hp stock setting.  My question is why didn’t they run it on the 300Hp Speed key at least the 2nd day.  You know they had planned on running the Race car on E85,  so they had the fuel. That would have been a better test and showing for the Speed Car.  Perhaps Race car had a bigger fuel cell in it.  idk  I saw Daniel his lead Engineer there,  assuming he could have throw the 300hp tune in it real easily.  

Probably because they wanted to avoid any further issues.   Could you imagine if they ran the 300hp tune and something happen?

Reality is the 300hp tune will probably only be used in the dunes for most consumers.  On 91 octane the Speed UTV will do 100 mph or more. 

No way those Can Ams can handle the desert.  The suspension geometry is junk and they will flip over when you turn them.  RG said so.  LMAO!!!!!!!
Can't flip if the "single shear" front shock mounts reach orbit... :biggrin:

Still quiet in the tech forum. I thought maybe they would have some inside info on what went wrong with the cars this weekend. I know the oil line came loose on the UTT on day one. Did it smoke the motor? Or did they finish the day with the other car?

Well their plan to win was to bring the custom built one off 350hp carbon fiber 2 seater race car.  This is far cry from the production car they are selling the public.  The production car performed average at best against the other UTVs.  Yes the production car has some sweet components,  but if you’re thinking it’s a total game changer I don’t think so. I monitored the race yesterday and barely saw the car hit 60.  Highly doubt that the 3rd gear overdrive was used at all.

My thoughts are,  this car is cool and the latest greatest thing.  But at Glamis, I highly doubt it will keep up with a fast and nimble Evo 3R Can Am on pump gas in the dunes, but for Desert the Speed car should be awesome.  The 300 hp option on E85 might be a must for Glamis.  But I doubt too many people are willing to fork over close to $500.00 in fuel for a long weekend for a UTV.  Remember the fuel burn is double on E85 and to get quality E85 (VP)  I bet it’s pushing  7-8 dollars a gallon these days.  My plan is keep both cars for now, but was hoping to get down to one car.   I will run the Speed car at both places,  Glamis and at the Desert and see how it all shakes out.  Can Am is the ace in the hole until Speed car arrives.  But I will not sell Can Am till I fully evaluate the Speed car.  Have a feeling I will need to keep both cars.  
E85 in So Cal is under $4 a gallon, it has never surpassed 87 octane in cost.  If you are buying VP E85, you are just wasting money.  In most instances, E85 use is about 1/3 more than running regular fuel.

Still quiet in the tech forum. I thought maybe they would have some inside info on what went wrong with the cars this weekend. I know the oil line came loose on the UTT on day one. Did it smoke the motor? Or did they finish the day with the other car?
According to RWG all the oil left the motor and it was smoked.  This was in a youtube video

And according to RWG the 35's are to big for the current brake set up and he might be offering an upgrade kit to deal with this issue.  They cannabalised some brakes off a race vehicle to deal with this, and evedently have been working with wildwood for a bigger/better brake system to handle the 35's. Possible they will include it with the unicorn editions?   The fan-boys are all saying "its a race only concern" and that the average joe won't need the bigger brakes.  

According to RWG all the oil left the motor and it was smoked.  This was in a youtube video

And according to RWG the 35's are to big for the current brake set up and he might be offering an upgrade kit to deal with this issue.  They cannabalised some brakes off a race vehicle to deal with this, and evedently have been working with wildwood for a bigger/better brake system to handle the 35's. Possible they will include it with the unicorn editions?   The fan-boys are all saying "its a race only concern" and that the average joe won't need the bigger brakes.  
Because nobody wants 35's on their SXS right?

:lol: at the SSSS I could not believe how good some 37's look on some of the Larger SXS.

The tech thread is for praise only.  If you ask questions that might have a negative response, you should call Speed UTV for answers.  :sarcasm:

It did have a larger fuel cell I saw it at the sand sport show way larger, from what I understand you burn a lot more of that type of fuel

never had any car that used it yet to speak from real world experience 

E85 in So Cal is under $4 a gallon, it has never surpassed 87 octane in cost.  If you are buying VP E85, you are just wasting money.  In most instances, E85 use is about 1/3 more than running regular fuel.
the thing with buying vp or whoever drums of e85 is you are getting true e85. out of the pump anywhere it can range between 55%-85% ethenol content. 

The motor was smoked.  They jumped in the 4 seater, which was the chase vehicle and finished the race.  Not sure if they had any issues with the 4 seater. 

the thing with buying vp or whoever drums of e85 is you are getting true e85. out of the pump anywhere it can range between 55%-85% ethenol content. 
That’s where the flex fuel sensor comes in handy. 

Back