Speed UTV

Huh.  Definitely overbuilt. Cool.

Either way, I suggest anti-seize on that snout, or packing a BFH to get it off after a couple hundred heat-cycles and salty desert mud.   :biggrin:
Correct. More built than the current UTV industry.

I doubt wheels being stuck to the hubs is ever an issue. But go ahead and worry about it anyways. I am NOT putting anti-seize on my wheels. That chit gets everywhere  :classic_biggrin:

9593d576e2431733df2e3a54bed1b071.jpg

Correct. More built than the current UTV industry.

I doubt wheels being stuck to the hubs is ever an issue. But go ahead and worry about it anyways. I am NOT putting anti-seize on my wheels. That chit gets everywhere  :classic_biggrin:

BWAHAHAHAHA.  Only needs a quick smear around the lip or inside the wheel.

I had a BMW, which is hubcentric because it has goddamned wheel BOLTS not lugs...  Prior to using anti-seize, the wheel would weld itself to the hub.  Every. Single. Tire. Rotation.

It'll happen. :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

BWAHAHAHAHA.  Only needs a quick smear around the lip or inside the wheel.

I had a BMW, which is hubcentric because it has goddamned wheel BOLTS not lugs...  Prior to using anti-seize, the wheel would weld itself to the hub.  Every. Single. Tire. Rotation.

That has more to do with dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion.

Aluminum on Aluminum? No problem!

Aluminum on Steel? Potentially problems...

They have different electric potentials and thus interact chemically when placed against each other. It's a huge issue in Aerospace design. All kinds of coatings, greases, films to mitigate the galvanic corrosion. You are correct that moisture accelerates it.

Speed hubs are Aluminum so I think we are good. Relatively no chemical interaction between the wheel and hub. Especially since the hub is anodized. (Anodize makes the AL surface more inert and less susceptible to chemical reactions)

Last edited by a moderator:
That has more to do with dissimilar metals and galvanic corrosion.

Aluminum on Aluminum? No problem!

Aluminum on Steel? Potentially problems...

They have different electric potentials and thus interact chemically when placed against each other. It's a huge issue in Aerospace design. All kinds of coatings, greases, films to mitigate the galvanic corrosion. You are correct that moisture accelerates it.

Speed hubs are Aluminum so I think we are good. Relatively no chemical interaction between the wheel and hub. Especially since the hub is anodized. (Anodize makes the AL surface more inert and less susceptible to chemical reactions)
For some reason I figured it would be steel, but NFW I’m watching the videos or re-reading the near 200 pages here.

Only thing to do is just make sure they’re clean then, brake dust will cause similar welding problems. 

For some reason I figured it would be steel, but NFW I’m watching the videos or re-reading the near 200 pages here.

Only thing to do is just make sure they’re clean then, brake dust will cause similar welding problems. 
The brake rotors, wheel studs, and wheel bearings are definitely steel. All else is likely aluminum to save weight.

Wheel studs are likely black oxide coated to prevent corrosion. 

Staying on topic, as likely as finding an honest politician.

I hope we don’t get to 200 before the Sand Show. I’m sure I’ll have all kinds of good stuff to share, but my plan was to retire from this thread at 200 pages in celebration! 

Id start a Speed Tech thread if there was away to make it stay on topic? 
Well I think this thread will continue until you guys get your cars and can start giving feedback and useful tech stuff for other owners and future owners to see.  The how to and try this type of thread.  It will be super helpful and you will do a good job of explaining stuff.   

Reactions: FOG
Back