Speed UTV

And a BIG SHOUT OUT TO Ron and our very own @Sean@Weddle for helping out. Gears survived!! 😁 👌🏽 @Sean@Weddle how stout would you say these gear boxes or diffs are compared to the competition? And how much abuse do you think they can handle, power wise?
Never a doubt in my mind. It won't be the design or manufacturing quality that causes gearbox/diff failures in these. 

I just watched that entire 18 minute walk around of the chassis. I knew the desired outcome of these cars, had my doubts of being able to achieve that standard, and honestly can't believe the quality if that is what is coming off the line. The bar has been raised, by a lot.

Makes me wish I was a deposit holder. (Wifes Jeep got that money instead)

I noticed in 3rd gear at 90 mph the engine was only turning 7000 rpm’s, I believe the engine revs up to 8500. So that 3rd gear overdrive works very well! 

Drivetrain was still pretty loud with the straight cut gears. I know they have worked to try to get some noise out, but I think until you go to a helical gear you just going to get gear whine. I would not be surprised to see a 2024 or 25 model with helical gears, as I think some are going to complain about that. 
Trans has helical cut gear. Front diff has the 90º straight cut R&P gear, which is most likely making the noise.

Overdrive is quite tall in these. Will need quite a bit more power to wind out that gear to top engine RPM. 

while the turbo behind crank centerline some how triggered me, the patent talk about the plug and play front diff and engine/trans package is an excellent idea and doesn't bother me one bit, haha

The XX rear frame is removable as a package but not the harness or hoses, it's a pain.

As we all know the Speed UTV has been a moving target from day 2, and things have evolved and changed. For the better I believe. 

But in one of my previous conversations I had with Todd. He was telling me and showing me pictures of a ranch/resort that Toyota had used prior to Covid to have its 5 star dealers, reps and media comes see the new trucks & drive them ect.. Todd said they plan on renting the same resort out for their marketing/PR meetings and demo drives. Todd said the plan was to have 40 cars build just for Speed & marketing/demos ect. And 20 at that media event to show and demo ride. So my guess is many If not all the cars build overseas will become Speed marketing demo cars. Plus the VIN will be different on those cars as it would have to show CN as the manufacture location vs Texas or Mexico, depending on final assembly plant location. Not sure how or what that effects? 

But like I said this had been a moving target and things evolve as Speed has. So who knows? 
If that is the case, then I applaud them for doing what CanAm and RZR has been doing for big reveals and let the dealers and special invited guests do the talking.   Youtube will be free advertising and I respect some of the folks that do honest reviews.  A few drink wayyyy to much Koolaid and it shows during their videos. 

And since they are demo units the need to take them to Camp RZR to really rub it in all the haters and non-believers.  I dont normally go to Camp RZR anyways but will make a trip just for Speed.  

Nikal do us all a favor since your in with Speed, ask them if they would do such a thing please. 

Well they did their last run of the day. 20 miles at 90+mph and it’s driving back on the trailer. Robby said I did not know when we started today if we would be pulling it back on a rope or driving it? But it did it and we are driving it on the trailer. Robby seems very happy and at the end of this video was thanking all the people who were involved in this project. I’m guessing they decided not to do E85 runs? Maybe they will go back later? 

A few things I noticed. Water & oil temp was higher then I’d like to see, but they did not seem to phased or concerned. They did not stop because of it. And Robby was not afraid to point it out on the dash and mentioned it when they would stop. It was 108 degrees out and he was pushing it. Would they like to see it lower? Sure and maybe there is something they can do to reduce it a bit? 

I noticed in 3rd gear at 90 mph the engine was only turning 7000 rpm’s, I believe the engine revs up to 8500. So that 3rd gear overdrive works very well! 

Drivetrain was still pretty loud with the straight cut gears. I know they have worked to try to get some noise out, but I think until you go to a helical gear you just going to get gear whine. I would not be surprised to see a 2024 or 25 model with helical gears, as I think some are going to complain about that. 

I like where the belt temp was staying at. I’m confident in what they designed and clearly it’s getting plenty of air through it. I’m hoping in a later video he will talk about how the belts looked, maybe mic the belt for wear? 

In 100+ degree temps with who knows how much humidity the engine and oil temps being that high is no surprise.   The car did not go into limp mode.   The reality is no one in their right mind would be going riding in those conditions on purpose.   

Now if those are the temps when out in the dunes when it is 75 degrees, then I would be really concerned.

That overdrive gear is pretty nice and will be great for those highway stretches in Baja or if you live in AZ and can drive it on the street.   

I did not see the video.  Did it show him shifting from the normal high to the overdrive and vise versa?   

In 100+ degree temps with who knows how much humidity the engine and oil temps being that high is no surprise.   The car did not go into limp mode.   The reality is no one in their right mind would be going riding in those conditions on purpose.   

Now if those are the temps when out in the dunes when it is 75 degrees, then I would be really concerned.

That overdrive gear is pretty nice and will be great for those highway stretches in Baja or if you live in AZ and can drive it on the street.   

I did not see the video.  Did it show him shifting from the normal high to the overdrive and vise versa?   
I think there were like three videos maybe four yesterday from all that I don’t think I saw them doing any shifting it was sustained over 90 to 100 something

I agree it was good to see no limp modes. And I think with how honest and forth coming Robby has been he’d have said if they did go into limp. Plus his videos were live. If it happened we would have saw it. He admitted on one video and in a reply in IG he was not as confident as some that they would not hurt or break something. In the end you could see he was very happy with the results. I hope they learned something of found something that can be easily retrofitted to help bring those temps down a bit. Good news it survived running those temps, so that’s another testament and should be comforting for those who might have questioned the Speed Engine quality & reliability. 

Regarding shifting, in one video he did pan down with his phone when he shifted into 3rd and it was smooth like butter. But Robby has been shifting this car and knows how to time & shift dogs. So what was smooth for RG might not be so elegant for others. But I know they have spoke several times about making the shifter better and being able to shift from Hi to OD better, as that’s really the only gear you need to shift on the fly. You can start in Low or Hi just like everyone else. And you can shift those two gears on the fly, but really why?

Like Sean said he does not see the gearbox design or quality being an issue. It’s probably going to see more operator error vs a true product failure. 
Think the clutching will handle starting in OD from a stop?

Yes, RG has already tested that. Not ideal but it works.
Word, because you know people will constantly do that, since:

308602_manual-transmission-sales.jpg

95% of the users will be putting these in high gear and running them just like any other brand. 

KOH would be the only advantage to shifting from low to high, and the only reason to shift from high to OD would be on road sections or long lake bed/groomed dirt road driving. 

95% of the users will be putting these in high gear and running them just like any other brand. 

KOH would be the only advantage to shifting from low to high, and the only reason to shift from high to OD would be on road sections or long lake bed/groomed dirt road driving. 
So even runs like sand highway from Glamis to Gordon’s or vice versa would be in the middle gear right?

I’m not sure if I’ve seen or heard a comment on the Speed key removing the speed limiter. Can you expand on that?

I’m not sure if I’ve seen or heard a comment on the Speed key removing the speed limiter. Can you expand on that?
The speed key removes the speed limiter. Simple.

Without the speed key, top speed will be limited to protect the masses.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Apparently the speed limiter will remain in place with the Speed Key.

Last edited by a moderator:
The speed key removes the speed limiter. Simple.

Without the speed key, top speed will be limited to protect the masses.
I thought that as well, thought it had been mentioned it the weekly videos.  

Robby mentioned in the comments to the live at the track that the speed key would not remover the speed limiter. That he’s 1000% sure EVO (aftermarket) would not be able to tune out the limiter. That Speed can but some sort of liability waiver would need to be signed. 

Back