Speed UTV

Here’s my understanding of what the RZR means. Polaris called their vehicles the Rangers. Then the first sport model was the Ranger RZR short for Razor. But John Menard from Menards Home Improvement stores was on the aboard of directors at Polaris at the time. He was telling to board how they need to meet & hire Robby Gordon and what he did to one of their Ranger Razors. When John showed them how Robby stretched it into a 4 seater, made longer suspension arms, and was jumping it around the NASCAR infield. All the other NASCAR drivers were driving lifted “Bad Boy Buggy” golf carts and Robby blew them away racing around and jumping in his Polaris.  John started calling the RZR Robby’Z Ride and not Ranger, or RZR, it was Robby Z Ride, and I guess it stuck for awhile. 

But technically I’m pretty sure the Razor abbreviated to RZR was before Robby signed, but when he came in it was called Robby Z Ride behind the scenes. 

Atleast this is how I understood it back then. 
WOW, I never knew my wife drove a "Robby Z Ride"  I always thought it was just a Gayzer.  

Well thank you for clarifying that up for all of us.  

Some of the latest speed runs Robby is doing at those proving grounds are impressive. 107-108 ambient outside temperature. Oil & water are still running a little high in the 220 range, but they are not backing off and running at 100 mph for prolonged time. The belt temp at 100 mph for 15 min and it was only at 187 degrees. 

I don’t see clutching being an issue. 
A warm day and a fast paced run through the dunes will be about the equivalent "stress" or more, correct? Is he not that concerned about the temps? Are we talking about tweaking the cooling system or anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the latest speed runs Robby is doing at those proving grounds are impressive. 107-108 ambient outside temperature. Oil & water are still running a little high in the 220 range, but they are not backing off and running at 100 mph for prolonged time. The belt temp at 100 mph for 15 min and it was only at 187 degrees. 

I don’t see clutching being an issue. 
That’s impressive. 
I think belt temperature and longevity will be a key factor for the dunes. 

A warm day and a fast paced run through the dunes will be about the equivalent "stress" or more, correct? Is he not that concerned about the temps? Are we talking about tweaking the cooling system or anything?
Dunes are more stress with the on and off of the throttle and the long pulls up a long dune.  

That’s impressive. 
I think belt temperature and longevity will be a key factor for the dunes. 
The belt temps look good and the fact they were able to keep it pinned for 15 minutes is very impressive.  I would not be so focused on the belt temps as that can be a false sense of security.  Depending on the belt gauge and where it is place the temps of the actual belt might not be accurate.    The fact the belt has not come apart is impressive.   

So how many total laps or miles has he done?  Saw there are at least 2 videos of him running the track. Good news is that EVERYTHING  survived!!!! Gives us some peace of mind regarding all the new developed parts engine and drivetrain etc. 

Only thing that might make a top speed run more stressful would be operating at a higher RPM than the CVT clutching would usually allow.

The belt temps look good and the fact they were able to keep it pinned for 15 minutes is very impressive.  I would not be so focused on the belt temps as that can be a false sense of security.  Depending on the belt gauge and where it is place the temps of the actual belt might not be accurate.    The fact the belt has not come apart is impressive.   
In my post I said belt temperature and I know about the idiosyncrasies of gauges. But thanks for explaining the difference between belt temperature and belt gauge temperature as others may benefit from this information. 

Back