Speed UTV

Well this thread made a wrong turn.   

Remember this thread is for information and some poking fun.    Let's keep it that way.

@NIKAL please stick around.  

56 minutes ago, Pyrocoyote1 said:

Pretty cool. 

Anyone notice the Speed light bar looks like a copy of the Baja Designs light bars?

got that rig in DISCO mode

wondering if all the lights are controlled thru canbus like new autos are

I get it.  Just kind of funny RG gets a little peeved if someone copies or tries to copy his stuff.  

By the way at the prices for the Speed lights I rather get the real thing - Baja Designs. 
And what makes you think Robby's aren't "Real"?

Would you rather have "Real" fox shocks over his Speed shocks?

And what makes you think Robby's aren't "Real"?

Would you rather have "Real" fox shocks over his Speed shocks?
I can tell you they are not Baja Design lights and he is not using their technology.   If they are like the other Chinese built lights they look nice and will not provide as much usable light as what Baja Designs provides.   

I have no clue how the Speed shocks perform other than what RG tells us and from a few videos.  At this point I would take the Fox shocks as I know tuners that can work on them and get them dialed in.  

I can tell you they are not Baja Design lights and he is not using their technology.   If they are like the other Chinese built lights they look nice and will not provide as much usable light as what Baja Designs provides.   

I have no clue how the Speed shocks perform other than what RG tells us and from a few videos.  At this point I would take the Fox shocks as I know tuners that can work on them and get them dialed in.  
Well duh they aren't BD lights. Anybody could see that.

Their technology? They are LED's, not rocket science. BD has great marketing, gotta hand it to them.

Their technology? They are LED's, not rocket science. BD has great marketing, gotta hand it to them.
Great marketing and great lights.  I have been using Baja Designs for many years.  Much of the group I ride with have tried various other lights over the years and nothing has matched the performance of Baja Design. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it.  Just kind of funny RG gets a little peeved if someone copies or tries to copy his stuff.  

By the way at the prices for the Speed lights I rather get the real thing - Baja Designs. 
Yep.  BD is, by far, the best light out there right now, especially when you compare the actual cost of the light (not wattage) you get.  I replaced a whole array of Amazon specials like pictured below with one BD 30" Onyx6+ light bar and have way more light and clarity of vision.  The Amazon ones were plenty bright, but the pattern sucked and you couldn't see jackshit past the daytime bright spot 20' away from the vehicle.  In a Jeep (where I have them now), it's fine since the hood covers that up anyway.  On a buggy where you can see the ground right up to the tire, no thanks.

LEDs are equal parts drivers to get the wattage necessary for distance (BD is running 20w+ LED chip) and reflectors/lenses to get a good pattern that doesn't just blind you with a giant daytime spot 20' away and make you have WORSE night vision (the entire point of lights is to see, not put out daylight 20' away).  10w/LED will barely compete with a standard 35w HID for distance, and that's assuming Speed's marketing people know WTF they're talking about, since:

image.png

There are 12 LEDs pictured, yet the literature says 10w each for a total of 60w. 12 x 10 != 60.

These look an awful lot like:

image.png

Those fellers.  

The reflectors look like the regular old "spread light everywhere spot" cones with the vertical line "floods" on the Chinese bars.  

BD for comparison:

maxresdefault.jpg

The reflectors, chip size and chip location are different on each.  That's the difference between putting out a bunch of lumens and actually being able to see.  Like @Sand Shark's camp, we've tried them all and nothing compares to BD when it comes to actually being able to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The internals are what matters.

I doubt RG will rebrand anything low-quality but we will see.
I am sure his lights are not the low-quality Chinese stuff.  It will be adequate for most that just happen to be caught at dark and need to get back to camp.  

If his lights were really really good he would have them plaster on his trophy truck. I think he is still running the old school HID lights on his truck.  

Back