Speed UTV

Here’s a question and good topic for discussion for everyone. 

Not everyone can afford the current Speed UTV. Would you consider buying an entry level Speed sport machine like a Wildcat XX in the $20K+ price range? 

Something like the 95 inch Bandit, but with a N/A engine with 140hp. This would still make it the most powerful N/A in the class. Keep the radiator in the back, but it would be simplified without a turbo. They could make it 68 inches wide like the KRX. With lower the HP they can build the chassis from mild steel, lose the Chromoly plate, make the suspension from mild steel tube with stamped steel & welded rear arms. 2.5 non bypass Speed shocks on 4 corners. Use electric PS, but keep the collapsible steering shaft. 

With less power they can use cast parts in the clutches. Cast parts in the N/A engine & trans. Make the trans a traditional 2 speed High/Low and remove the full locker front diff, still keeping the Speed bulkhead design as that’s a signature of Speed. Use 15 inch cast wheel and 30 or 32 inch tire, no digital dash or make it very basic with only one screen and basic gauge display. Remove the accent lighting in the grill, and make the rear bed more tub like the XX, and lose the functioning tail gate to cut cost & weight. Seats could be more generic, but still a tub style and keep 4 point seatbelts, but with a automotive buckle to cut costs. 

What do you think? Would this interest anyone? Do you think there would be a market for this? I know Arctic Cat does not sell many XX’s but that’s because they have poor dealership support and they just won’t build cars. 
I honestly don't think this is a good option for them to produce. That's a lot of down-engineering for a small market segment that RG is not focused on. Yes there is a large east coast market that wants more narrow, but not a big market for low end setups. People are either all in "financed" or full tilt financed plus double in accessories, in just about all the other markets. Someone who wants that barebone skinny machine just doesn't fit RG platform.

I'm the low budget no frills guy and I don't want what you described. My Wildcat XX is great for what it is/was at 18-20k, now I'd love to have the better (more HP) engine is all. In another 5-8yrs (wildcat will be 10-12yrs old) I'll look at the market and see what's available.

@NIKAL edited for clarity of my thoughts
Something like the 95 inch Bandit, but with a N/A engine with 140hp. maybe, RG has discussed it
Keep the radiator in the back. Yes, no redesign
They could make it 68 inches wide. Yes, simple with the XX platform design 
With lower the HP they can build the chassis from mild steel, lose the Chromoly plate, make the suspension from mild steel tube with stamped steel & welded rear arms. Why redesign/retool
2.5 non bypass Speed shocks on 4 corners. Yes if they make those for the base models, OK
Use electric PS. No
Cast parts in the N/A engine & trans. Why redesign/retool
Make the trans a traditional 2 speed High/Low and remove the full locker front diff. why redesign/retool
Use 15 inch cast wheel and 30 or 32 inch tire. Maybe
No digital dash or make it very basic with only one screen and basic gauge display. Why redesign
Remove the accent lighting in the grill.  Why redesign
make the rear bed more tub like the XX. Why redesign/retool
lose the functioning tail gate Why redesign
eats could be more generic. Why redesign, use the base model plastic

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the posts that have zero value or contribute nothing to the topic of Speed UTV, and you would have 150 pages to go. 
Maybe 40 to go.  Almost every post contributes in some way.    

only 15 pages to go!!!   The road to 200 is real!!!

So do we get to 200 before dune season or before a Speed UTV gets delivered to a customer?
What’s going to happen to this thread when it gets to 200 pages?

Is it going to be like the scene in “Cool Hand Luke “ when they finish the road work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it going to be like the scene in “Cool Hand Luke “ when they finish the road work?
Excellent question.   I think we have a small celebration to mark the milestone of being the longest thread on the new version of the site. 

As soon as the Speed UTV makes it to the customers we can do like they do on the SXS specific forums and start a topic "Issues you are having with (insert model)" LOL! 

Actually I am hoping Nikal will start a technical thread once he gets his Speed UTV.  

Is going to be like the scene in “Cool Hand Luke “ when they finish the road work?
Maybe the people that really aren’t interested or don’t have an order will  finally stop wanting to follow it.

The reason for many of my thoughts that you wondered why redesign or retool, was to reduce costs. If you don’t remove features then your not cutting costs, and you just selling the same vehicle. Casting a part is much cheaper & quicker then a forged part. And in most cases the cast part should be fine for the lower HP application.
You clearly have some industry insight about production, but wouldn't it cost more $ to design a different part (R&D) then build tooling (direct mfg costs) just to lower the street price by 10k a unit? Then how much $ would you lose to the primary product lines when those are out selling instead. I think there is good market for it overall, except when you look "listen" to what RG plans for the future. Trucks, hyper cars, etc...

I know that powersports sector is actually a small margin compared to the commercial/industrial/farm sales, but at what cost to your end goal would this be a better approach? Also there are a lot of players in that other market (kabota, john deer, kawi, poolarus, yammerhammer, etc....) 

carry-on this is SPEED-UTV not FARM-UTV  :bandwagon:

You clearly have some industry insight about production, but wouldn't it cost more $ to design a different part (R&D) then build tooling (direct mfg costs) just to lower the street price by 10k a unit? Then how much $ would you lose to the primary product lines when those are out selling instead. I think there is good market for it overall, except when you look "listen" to what RG plans for the future. Trucks, hyper cars, etc...

I know that powersports sector is actually a small margin compared to the commercial/industrial/farm sales, but at what cost to your end goal would this be a better approach? Also there are a lot of players in that other market (kabota, john deer, kawi, poolarus, yammerhammer, etc....) 

carry-on this is SPEED-UTV not FARM-UTV  :bandwagon:
Google UTV

Back