Speed UTV

Honest question to you. Not trying to start a bicker war, just curious? What is fugly about them? Also are you comparing its looks to other UTV’s or to something else? 

I am not comparing it to any other UTV's. When viewed from the side the car looks out of proportion, especially the 2 seater. The front looks like it hit a wall and shortened it up compared to the rest of the car. I'm sure it'll grow on me over time like the Funco's did but for now it's not working. 

They were going to be the same. But I think rising cost and trying to keep the base car in that same or close to original price range, they had to find way to cut costs. Remember the base price was set over 2 years ago. Find something that has not increased in price over two years. 

Plus really I think they needed to do something drastic to define and justify the different trim levels. Prior to removing the bypass in the shock, the base was a smoking deal compared to the LE which upgrades really did not justify the price increase., especially since none of the upgrades were performance based. 

Now the LE & RG have a performance improvement vs. the base. Same as the Polaris & Can Am base & higher trims have performance improvements. 

Also I’m guessing it’s still the same 3.5 Shock which would still have the inner sleeve, just not drilled and does not have the flappers. Also I’d bet the base shock will still have compression adjustment. If I’m right then guys like SDG, Schmitty, Shock Therapy ect.. shock tuners will be able to build a kit to add bleed holes and add compression & rebound adjustment. 
Pre-orders/early orders are what I was referring to. I have watched every episode AFAIK and this is the first I recall any mention of lesser grade shocks. I have been accused of having CRS, but being a suspension brat(I can't believe w-h-o-r-e gets bleeped) I don't think I would have missed that. I hope early orders get what was originally described. I gotta admit I'd be pizzed if I waited this long for a base model to have this (potentially)happen. Hope for some clarification on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't downgrade shocks on base models if its already been advertised on their website for even a day.

Who would even agree to that being ok? :blink:

Change the price or the shocks you get as of 7/14 as announced, everyone who put money down before 7/14 gets the same shocks as advertised originally.

That's a valid lawsuit IMHO if they don't.

You can't downgrade shocks on base models if its already been advertised on their website for even a day.

Who would even agree to that being ok? :blink:

Change the price or the shocks you get as of 7/14 as announced, everyone who put money down before 7/14 gets the same shocks as advertised originally.

That's a valid lawsuit IMHO if they don't.
With how long it has taken to get these cars to production and the various changes made it is not surprising the shock package has changed for the base model.  Sure they will be upset the base model they ordered does not have the shocks initially indicted, but I doubt many will cancel their order over it.     

Just talked to my dealer (Coyne) and they have 0 base models ordered and that base model on the site is new.  We believe all the El Jefes that were ordered are the LEs by todays standards. The dealers are pretty frustrated because things are changing fast and they are not getting the info so they are playing keep up. 

Just my observation at this point

Depending on WHEN you actually put down your deposit on the base model for 30k you’re probably better off just upgrading it to the LE for 33k if you purchased it when the LE were going for 33k. That sound like a screaming deal now.

I also didn’t know they were taking deposits on the base cars??  :classic_blink:  3C68C177-3ECD-4D4C-BB1B-DFFDF5255A70.jpeg

Or for todays price of 35k. Shocks alone are $1500 IBP vs $500 Standard EACH!! Plus you get way more goodie’s with the LE. E4DC28F1-64E2-4662-85A2-88921A68116C.png

Todd said in his last update that the cars were going to be issued a MSO  Manufacture statement of origin. In california you will need the car, have the vin number checked by CHP, DMV or a vin verifier  Then pay the sales tax 40000 dollar car at  8 percent is 3200 dollars to the dmv . Then you get a title and pay the registration fee. How long will it take? My guess is a minimum  of 30 days,

I would think 50-state resale license info would be potentially covered by the RGM umbrella, they've been selling stuff for years. I've got no idea on the business model and how the "DBA"'s might be setup. RGM, RG wheels, Speed Energy, etc.....

MCO/MSO for commie fornia this may be a no-go due to emissions testing. I would fully expect them to show up on the CARB site as close to actual release date 30 days before/after like most of the market, but...... The interesting part is the CA link makes it sound like the dealers are the responsible party not the manufacture.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/vehicle-industry-registration-procedures-manual-2/miscellaneous-originals/manufacturers-certificate-statement-of-origin/

If not then wouldn't these fall under the same deal as all the other china carts/motos/3-wheel that are not allowed for sale in CA. Those are all MSO to my knowledge. Nevada has a MSO style registration system. In AZ you can buy all kinds of OHVs from dealers.

I get that they can say everything will be "alright and it's covered, we got this, don't worry" but when there are no public documents to help prove this and we interweb sluth this for all other related entities selling OHVs it makes you second guess especially for CA.

MSO.JPG

Todd said in his last update that the cars were going to be issued a MSO  Manufacture statement of origin. In california you will need the car, have the vin number checked by CHP, DMV or a vin verifier  Then pay the sales tax 40000 dollar car at  8 percent is 3200 dollars to the dmv . Then you get a title and pay the registration fee. How long will it take? My guess is a minimum  of 30 days,
Depending on what county you live in your taxes may be a little lower or higher.  It is a pain in the ass taking your SXS to the DMV and having them check everything.  I had to do it with my X3.

They check the VIN, Engine serial number, and look for the CARB cert.  It was fun trying to figure out where the CARB cert sticker was placed and the engine serial number.   I had do it twice because the DMV messed up my first round of paperwork. 

Depending on what county you live in your taxes may be a little lower or higher.  It is a pain in the ass taking your SXS to the DMV and having them check everything.  I had to do it with my X3.

They check the VIN, Engine serial number, and look for the CARB cert.  It was fun trying to figure out where the CARB cert sticker was placed and the engine serial number.   I had do it twice because the DMV messed up my first round of paperwork. 
Gotta love government.....

When I talked to the guys at Veys a month or do back when Todd was there with the orange Speed car. I asked if I was going to have my car delivered to them, what will they need or do? They said they would complete the registration & taxes just like any other car sold out of their dealership.  I also asked about the extended warranties they offer and sell on the Can Am’s Kawasaki’s etc. If those would be offered on the Speed car. He said they hope and expect to be able to offer them. but was not sure if or how the Speed Key could be covered? So this could be another option vs buying the Speed extended warranty. 

Then I asked the same questions at Fun Bike Center and they did not know at the time how delivery of a none dealer ordered cars would work? He said if ordered and purchased through the dealer, then it goes through the normal paperwork process including tax & license. And like Veys they hope to have a extended warranty to offer Speed customers, but had no specifics. 
If you are taking delivery at a CA dealer they can only sell you a CARB model so registration would be like purchasing any other UTV.   It only becomes a pain if you get it from an out of state dealer and you want to register it in CA.  They you have to make that trip to the DMV.  

In hindsight I should of just registered by Can Am in AZ.  I could of used my brother-in-laws address in Havasu.  It would not really save me much money, just the hassle of getting it registered at the DMV. 

I thought Todd said many episodes ago they had a warranty company lined up.  

Depending on WHEN you actually put down your deposit on the base model for 30k you’re probably better off just upgrading it to the LE for 33k if you purchased it when the LE were going for 33k. That sound like a screaming deal now.

I also didn’t know they were taking deposits on the base cars??  :classic_blink:  View attachment 37164

Or for todays price of 35k. Shocks alone are $1500 IBP vs $500 Standard EACH!! Plus you get way more goodie’s with the LE. View attachment 37163
You guys think that the Speed UTV looks better than the Honda Talon?  Come on, look at those Talon lines.  They remind me of the Iconic Honda dirt bike that has won soooooo many Championships. 

34C0003E-FCBD-4D54-BFFD-1E5D1977BFED.jpeg

Just talked to my dealer (Coyne) and they have 0 base models ordered and that base model on the site is new.  We believe all the El Jefes that were ordered are the LEs by todays standards. The dealers are pretty frustrated because things are changing fast and they are not getting the info so they are playing keep up. 

Just my observation at this point
Unless they updated the base model info since 9 pm West coast time yesterday nothing was new except for the price increase by 1000 since I printed out 16 pages of there websites info the day I ordered mine in February 1

I am not sure when they added the $1000 above the $30,000 mark.

And the base model info I have printed has nothing that says anything about the shock that they are now describing. As I said above the two pages I posted are exactly identical to what was there yesterday and what I saw back in February and I believe for what it’s worth it was like that for months before because I got seriously looking around probably November or October of last year and had already looked at what I ended up purchasing later in February.

I spoke to Mike Rebello in their Anaheim office today he told me to talk to Todd and I wrote Todd an email yesterday. I am out of town for my birthday and not paying much attention but if I hear anything I will update you all.

Back