Speed UTV

I know we've heard promise dates several times before which pissed off so many.  What makes these dates any different? At least this time around they actually have cars and parts to show off vs the ladder.  BUT they are still in China and finalizing fit and finish on some stuff.  Yes Tod said they hit the green button on several parts, but a car cant be built without 100% of all parts. ala computer chip issue hurting the industy.  

They never mentioned anything about parts already in Texas and from what I hear its a least a month backed up to ship out from China, then it sits at port of LA a few weeks.  Perfect world some parts could be here early Sept but its not perfect anymore.  

If I could take delivery late Oct, I'd be thrilled but my bet is it will get here by Christmas.   It would be great if they have just a few real production units at the sand show this year to shut up all the haters. 
I don’t think LA is that backed up at all right now the green represent container ships compared to where this was a year ago there is not that many it’s not Biden that helped us out either it’s just a fact they haven’t sent many over in the last three months due to Asia/China Covid  shut down 

That’s assuming they go to LA for all their container deliveries I’m assuming they’re not going through the canal and up into Texas

B58EB315-CB5B-4D95-9940-9CCA6CBF478E.png

I would be less concerned about the offloading rather than getting the parts and having them on a ship that is the biggest issue at this time just getting the components.

True statement in normal times, but you have to now figure in time spent sitting offshore waiting for a spot to unload before the transit to TX can happen. I hadn’t heard of major backlogs at the port in Houston. 

Either way it’s a logistical nightmare. 
About the same number of ships waiting at both ports currently.

I would be less concerned about the offloading rather than getting the parts and having them on a ship that is the biggest issue at this time just getting the components.
I thought the same thing awhile back BUT the latest videos they’ve shown doesn’t seem like they’re concerned about it being an issue at all  They have multiple suppliers and have been stockpiling parts for some time. Sounded like RG will be back stateside in a couple of weeks rather than at the end of the month as was first discussed. I took that as a good sign that things are looking really good!! 

The last three weeks the sea shipments the company I work for has taken us 5 weeks from the TW or HK port to San Diego door. Earlier this year we got up to 10 weeks, with the majority taking 8 weeks. 

Prior to the Long Beach Port back up mess, our Ocean transit was around 18 days, with another 8-10 days for transport from the port to the Brokerage warehouse and then to SD. So roughly 4 weeks. If the container was not in a closed area at the port, we could shave a few days off of that. I always calculated everything at 4 weeks. So being at 5 the past 3 weeks is a very good sign.  

I think the next big hurdle is not going to be the ports backlog, but the truckers not being able to go to the ports, or broker warehouses. Fuel is killing them, SB5 law is waiting for the Supreme Court ruling in October. If not overturned it will end the independent truckers in California. The next CARB mandates for entering the ports & rail yards starts in 2023? This will eliminate more truckers and independents. IMO these self inflicted mandates are going to cause more problems vs when we were short chassis to load containers on, or the container shortage. 

Wait until 2030 & 2035 when only electric trucks will be able to access the ports & rail yards. I got a great story about the electric truck the Port of San Diego is using. Total fraud! 
Nearly everything about most US ports feels like fraud, lol. Hate dealing with it, and usually buy my loggies lunch after dealing with it, lol. 

The last three weeks the sea shipments the company I work for has taken us 5 weeks from the TW or HK port to San Diego door. Earlier this year we got up to 10 weeks, with the majority taking 8 weeks. 

Prior to the Long Beach Port back up mess, our Ocean transit was around 18 days, with another 8-10 days for transport from the port to the Brokerage warehouse and then to SD. So roughly 4 weeks. If the container was not in a closed area at the port, we could shave a few days off of that. I always calculated everything at 4 weeks. So being at 5 the past 3 weeks is a very good sign.  

I think the next big hurdle is not going to be the ports backlog, but the truckers not being able to go to the ports, or broker warehouses. Fuel is killing them, SB5 law is waiting for the Supreme Court ruling in October. If not overturned it will end the independent truckers in California. The next CARB mandates for entering the ports & rail yards starts in 2023? This will eliminate more truckers and independents. IMO these self inflicted mandates are going to cause more problems vs when we were short chassis to load containers on, or the container shortage. 

Wait until 2030 & 2035 when only electric trucks will be able to access the ports & rail yards. I got a great story about the electric truck the Port of San Diego is using. Total fraud! 
the AB5 is now in effect the supreme court has denied hearing the case that happened last week .

and since it it was not taken up by the court the law is retro active to 2020

New Speed UTV accessory package. 

View attachment 36198

Cool accessory, but a bit pricier then I would have guessed. I would have thought this would have been around $800? 

Am I wrong and do you think $1300 is fairly priced for front & rear cameras, belt temp and tire pressure monitors? 
That is a lot of money.  Back up camera is cool.   Belt temp gauge is useless in my opinion.  

That is a lot of money.  Back up camera is cool.   Belt temp gauge is useless in my opinion.  
Why are they worthless I am curious to hear opinions because I have never owned a belt driven car.  I figured having the temperature will give you some sort of an indication of how hard you’re pushing it and maybe if you’re lucky change it before it breaks and can do some damage. I am kind a looking forward to seeing what it’s like to drive a belt driven car it definitely will be easier on my budget to replace a belt once a year rather than to pull my vw 091 out every 3 to 4 years and if I’m lucky only have it overhauled 2 k versus pull it out sooner with something major wrong and 4 to 5 k.

Also looking forward to having something with a real reverse compared to the volts wagon.

forgot to add I was thinking just go aftermarket on the temp gauge I’m not worried about it being integrated into the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the benefit of having the belt temp if running the dunes where your putting long hard loads in the belt. Or if your doing long continuous runs like on a Baja trip or something like that. Another benefit would be in a race situation, and all the racers I’ve know have run belt temp gauges. This allows them to push harder or back off to help protect the belt or request a belt change at a pit if they knew they got it too hot. 

For the average weekend rider doing things like Ocotillo, Plaster/Superstition, Barstow etc.. I don’t think it’s as needed at Shark said. But I also know there are drivers who can’t figure out how this belt thing works, and constantly complain about having belt failure issues. Then other people doing the exact same riding have zero issues. So it can definitely be driver error as to why belts don’t last. 

Personally I’ve never had a belt temp gauge and I’ve also never lost a belt. I’ve measured my belts after doing a 500-600 mile Baja trips and the wear was minimal and consistent. I’m also a big believer of just changing out belts as good maintenance and precaution. It’s cheap insurance for me. I’ll start each season on a new belt. If I have two desert trips and plan a Baja trip, it gets a fresh belt. A good used belt is like gold. Sure I have had lots of great spare belts, and I’ve also given some away. I always carry a spare, and if doing trip will carry two. 

I’m torn on if I want to get this new bundle. I’d really like a rear camera and the belt temp as this will be a new car and I’d like to know & learn how the belt & cooling perform. I could care less about a front camera as I think those are more gimmicky then useful. I also have little interest in the TPMS and can see it being an issue later on. So for me this new package seems like a lot of money. But the reality is I can’t just buy just the rear camera, even when available outside of the bundle. And eventually when you can buy each piece independently it’s still going to be $1000 for the two items and getting the dash turned on. 
So it’s a good idea I take it to break in a belt then take it off and keep it as a spare so that if you have to use it in an emergency or maintenance it’s already broken in is that correct?

So it’s a good idea I take it to break in a belt then take it off and keep it as a spare so that if you have to use it in an emergency or maintenance it’s already broken in is that correct?
That, or replace a perfectly good belt at a set interval in your garage rather than before it fails. Already broken in, and you can break in the new one in camp or at home. 

@NIKAL Front camera is useful when rock crawling, cuts down on the need for a spotter. I always try to memorize the rocks ahead of time, but something happens and you forget. 

My Lowrance has a camera feature.  I mounted the camera in the back lip of the roof.  However with the camera on, you lose the GPS.  Not a problem if you not leading. (But I usually do)

I'm planning on having  GPS in my El Diablo

R

Ok. I’ll take the Shark bait. 
Why is the belt temp gauge useless?
Because it will be just another gauge you will stare at and it will not stop a person from breaking a belt.  You will end up driving to satisfy some imaginary number versus just driving your SXS and having a good time. It is an overpriced gadget.   By the time most see the belt temp gauge flashing at them they have already heated up the belt and it will go boom.  

I personally do not run one and have no intention of every using one.  In well over 15,000 miles in the dunes and desert the times I have blown a belt (which I think is 4 times) I knew the belts were going to go boom well before some temp sensor.   

A properly aligned and tuned clutch is the key to belt life.  

Why are they worthless I am curious to hear opinions because I have never owned a belt driven car.  I figured having the temperature will give you some sort of an indication of how hard you’re pushing it and maybe if you’re lucky change it before it breaks and can do some damage. I am kind a looking forward to seeing what it’s like to drive a belt driven car it definitely will be easier on my budget to replace a belt once a year rather than to pull my vw 091 out every 3 to 4 years and if I’m lucky only have it overhauled 2 k versus pull it out sooner with something major wrong and 4 to 5 k.

Also looking forward to having something with a real reverse compared to the volts wagon.

forgot to add I was thinking just go aftermarket on the temp gauge I’m not worried about it being integrated into the dash.
The belt temp gauge is not going to prevent a belt from going boom.  Learning how to drive a CVT SXS and having a properly tuned and aligned clutch are the keys to belt life.   I had a friend that could make a belt go boom in less than 20 minutes by driving like a complete a-hole in the dunes.  If he drove normal his belts were fine.

You are correct it would be cheaper to get an aftermarket belt temp gauge and just have it displayed separately. 

If Speed truly wanted to include a belt temp gauge they could of done it and not bundle it with the package they are offering.  They could of done a separate gauge.  

When do people plan on getting one, my neighbor says in 5 weeks 

I also am up in the air on the "bundle". I am curious what @DTA heard that he likes. I am guessing blinkers. I really don't need the cameras and air sensors. The belt temp would be cool but I don't know if it is needed. 

All of the items would be nice to have and I would probably pay attention to them the first few times out....then never use them again. 

If blinkers are the secret selling point, I am sure the aftermarket will offer something. But that will probably cost $1000 in the end. 

Back