Speed UTV

Here are pictures of a test chassis. Robby mentioned on finding 3-4 weld spots that needed correction. In the last picture you can see the green arrow pointing to one spot where the welding machine needed adjustment. 

Pretty damn impressive welds and that will be repeatable on each chassis. 

View attachment 35004View attachment 35005View attachment 35006View attachment 35007View attachment 35008
Curious about the parts hit by a ginder after it'd been sitting, then welded.  Re-test on the robot, or someone went in there by hand to finish?  Either way, it was obviously done after the chassis sat and corroded for a long ass time.

All the other welds look pretty damned good on this chassis, and @Dune-Track-N you can tell they're getting good penetration by how wide and flat the weld is and the narrow HAZ (it's where the rust is since it burned off the protective coating on the tubing). Any weld that wide/flat with low penetration would've cooked the whole tube to gray sheeyit. Would be nice if the coating was removed prior to welding, but doubt that's feasible in a mass-produced vehicle, so good enough for the women we date... :biggrin:

I've always been realistic. You can even verify what I say.

I don't understand the point of this.  Someone lawn-darted the bajeezus out of their RZR, then went for a ride hard enough to destroy all the tires seen in the picture, yet no intrusion into the occupant area?  Are you congratulating Polaris?

They are definitely stouter than any other gearbox and diff in another UTV (I have seen them all). If you drive them like every other CVT type gearbox, they will probably outlast their competitors.

As said previously in this thread, if drivers choose to shift them on the fly, they will need to understand how they operate to avoid damage to the gearbox. 

The fact that you think they lawn darted it first, THEN drove the tires off it, indicates to me that any further explanation is probably futile.

It's obvious we all look for something different in our vehicles. Polaris and Canam don't offer anything that interests me and I'm glad RG came along to build something that looks like it's going to be pretty good. Despite the haters claiming that RG is arrogant and has a big ego, he went to Albins to design his drivetrain and Arrington to design the engine. It looks to me like he's been making some wise decisions in who to partner with in many areas.

I am very pleased with the level of engineering and QC they're giving us at this price point. If he had built this chassis and suspension with a 4 cyl 2000cc engine with 550 hp and a 7 speed DCT for $30k, I'd be even happier. 

There's always the next generation...

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
They know the gear is going to be noisier and are actually working on trying to quiet it a bit. They mentioned that is this weeks show. I think that maybe they are polishing the gears to help with noise. Sean @ Weddle might know more? 

Robby is going for strength but it would not surprise me if future Gen 2 or 3 cars don’t end up with a spiral gear to reduce noise if the consumers complain. But I guarantee Robby with not substitute quiet for strength. If they can’t make it strong enough it will stay straight. 
The front diff gears are made to be cost effective, a normal spiral bevel gear is quite a bit more expensive to produce. The 90º forged style front diffs gears can be a bit noisy, but they are actually pretty strong. This is the same style front diff gear that Polaris and Arctic cat use. These are a bit better quality material. I don't foresee too much of an issue with these gears, other than a bit noisy. 

The fact that you think they lawn darted it first, THEN drove the tires off it, indicates to me that any further explanation is probably futile.

It's obvious we all look for something different in our vehicles. Polaris and Canam don't offer anything that interests me and I'm glad RG came along to build something that looks like it's going to be pretty good. Despite the haters claiming that RG is arrogant and has a big ego, he went to Albins to design his drivetrain and Arrington to design the engine. It looks to me like he's been making some wise decisions in who to partner with in many areas.

I am very pleased with the level of engineering and QC they're giving us at this price point. If he had built this chassis and suspension with a 4 cyl 2000cc engine with 550 hp and a 7 speed DCT for $30k, I'd be even happier. 

I would be much more interested in a Speed UTV if had a DCT.
A 2000cc motor would also be a plus. 

Ridiculous assumption on your part. By “went for a ride” I mean they weren’t driving jackshit anymore. <Russian Accent>In yard sale crash, car drives you! </russian>

So yeah. The fact that you interpreted my post this way proves your futility. :biggrin:

image.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Romano replied to a question someone asked last night about timelines. 

View attachment 35084

Does not sound like they are finding anything that’s going to cause them anymore delays. 
Robby also said on his Instagram that some of the cars in the pictures he’s been posting are going to customers. It’s progress and I’ll take it. 

I don't understand the point of this.  Someone lawn-darted the bajeezus out of their RZR, then went for a ride hard enough to destroy all the tires seen in the picture, yet no intrusion into the occupant area?  Are you congratulating Polaris?
Whatever you say. Here it is again, in case you want to reinterpret it again.

Although it seemed pretty clear to me the first time around.

After watching episode number 100, I think the term "game changer" is pretty played out.

I'm going to go with Paradigm Shifter.

Seems like a bit of RXR R bashing continues even as we see more and more of them in the field.

In all honestly will anyone see a production Speed UTV this year? I am starting to believe if any its gonna be a handful.

I am seeing supply chain opening back up in many areas - its slow getting large quantity, but products are becoming available 

Just doing 3 LS's and parts were impossible a couple months ago - now I can get everything needed with just a week or two lead time 

200.gif

Back