Speed UTV

I've always been realistic. You can even verify what I say.

10d4e687-67d6-4a72-af5a-849f6fbcfb23.JPG

All in fun and good entertainment. I have stated multiple times I would buy one of these cars in a heartbeat. Sounds like he is getting closer. I have multiple friends with cars on order. 

Here are pictures of a test chassis. Robby mentioned on finding 3-4 weld spots that needed correction. In the last picture you can see the green arrow pointing to one spot where the welding machine needed adjustment. 

Pretty damn impressive welds and that will be repeatable on each chassis. 

View attachment 35004View attachment 35005View attachment 35006View attachment 35007View attachment 35008
I'm not a welder but wondering about all that rust and pitting on the metal? Is it a nothing Burger?

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure the robots are sticking metal together and making decent looking filler, but are they getting good penetration? I don't see much or any heat transfer from the filler to the tube work.

I SUCK at welding and can't do any of the above but still can question when things don't like correct to my untrained eyes. I don't care for the stack of dimes look, a solid round filler looks just as good to me. Typically a row of dimes was from tig welders, pooling and pulling the weld puddle. Now with the new pulse welders it's just a visual thing that even mig welders can make a row of dimes.

yeah that surface rust will likely be an issue over time for the powder to flake off. I know on my Wildcat XX it's doing this already, would assume it's the same underlying problem.

For sure the robots are sticking metal together and making decent looking filler, but are they getting good penetration? I don't see much or any heat transfer from the filler to the tube work.

I SUCK at welding and can't do any of the above but still can question when things don't like correct to my untrained eyes. I don't care for the stack of dimes look, a solid round filler looks just as good to me. Typically a row of dimes was from tig welders, pooling and pulling the weld puddle. Now with the new pulse welders it's just a visual thing that even mig welders can make a row of dimes.

yeah that surface rust will likely be an issue over time for the powder to flake off. I know on my Wildcat XX it's doing this already, would assume it's the same underlying problem.
FYI, These won't be powdered. The chassis will be e-coated.

Acid dip of the entire chassis is likely just before the coating is applied.

FYI, These won't be powdered. The chassis will be e-coated.

Acid dip of the entire chassis is likely just before the coating is applied.
I thought the e-coating was for inside the tubes? Anyway a acid dip prior to any color coating would sure help!

I caught some of the show and sounds like they are still tweaking stuff.  Did I hear him correctly say he will be in Asia for 45 days?

You know RG brought most of the hate on himself with his unrealistic timelines.  
What they showed you in this last episode is not even close to what he talked about at Sand show 2019. That would lead to longer production and design times. Then Covid and what now what looks like a recession on the way. Every manufacturer is having issues across the board. Even if you had a 100% design by the time Covid hit you were and are still affected in someway. I again am happy at what it has come to and will wait. I would not want any other side by side out there today. I am ready to move on from what I currently have but will wait. Too many uncertainties out there now. As diesel get to 7 gallon and super unleaded is right behind it I don't see as many trips next season. I dont see lower cost by October, I see higher. Talks of rationing of fuel and other commodities is a very possible scenario. Those things have me more concerned then waiting for a SXS.

I would say Robby can rub people the wrong way, So did Trump but I miss him more every day. Look at where we are at now country having massive issues and Speed cars looking great (I will admit they need to get them to market and see how they perform over time) But it is looking better then worse by far for those that are in line.

This seems cool...

I really like that wrap would be one I consider for my base model Diabolo in time. Probably would have to have done custom since that is not a Part they offer. I hope as soon as these start getting out some wrap company get the pattern figured out.

I was wondering as to how the size and strength of what we have seen from the speed transmission compares to other SXS.

I have not seen nor owned any SXS. Only had an 091 VW in my Manx. They look stout and wide compared to what I am familiar with.

Thank for the info you may be able to pass on in advance. JOHN

What they showed you in this last episode is not even close to what he talked about at Sand show 2019. That would lead to longer production and design times. Then Covid and what now what looks like a recession on the way. Every manufacturer is having issues across the board. Even if you had a 100% design by the time Covid hit you were and are still affected in someway. I again am happy at what it has come to and will wait. I would not want any other side by side out there today. I am ready to move on from what I currently have but will wait. Too many uncertainties out there now. As diesel get to 7 gallon and super unleaded is right behind it I don't see as many trips next season. I dont see lower cost by October, I see higher. Talks of rationing of fuel and other commodities is a very possible scenario. Those things have me more concerned then waiting for a SXS.

I would say Robby can rub people the wrong way, So did Trump but I miss him more every day. Look at where we are at now country having massive issues and Speed cars looking great (I will admit they need to get them to market and see how they perform over time) But it is looking better then worse by far for those that are in line.
Your concerns about the economy are the concerns of many.  You have to wonder if there are some deposit holders who may be considering backing out because what was affordable when the deposit was placed may not be affordable when their delivery date comes.   I assume any money prepaid on accessories is refundable and the person would just lose the deposit money.    

Covid and the supply issues might of been a blessing for RG and the team as it gave them more time to design and develop.  

Not just Sand Show 2019.  He's been posting for a while things that hint "any day now" to keep the deposit holders from bailing, and we've been talking about it for quite some time now.  @Sand Shark started this thread on the "road to 200", but I'm pretty sure the page count on this thread combined with the pre-crash thread is WELL past 200 now.

View attachment 1164

View attachment 12702

There are a lot of people who are "naysayers" who've been there, done that and gotten the free T-shirt who know that statements like "finalizing production process" or "we will have cars in customers hands in 2021 as 2022 models" a year ago was a line of bullshit.  If Robby had just shown what was happening and been honest (like saying "pre-production mules") instead of the above, this thread wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. :biggrin:

Speaking of entertaining, this comment from back then is now hilarious:

In any case, there are some on this thread who seem to hate the company (BUFF) and chit on it whenever possible, others who absolutely love the company (LOTD) and chit on other companies whenever possible, and a lot in between who see through the noise and call a spade a spade.  I still think he's a ways off (6-12 months) before true production starts (other than small batches with supplied parts).  We will also see problems with cars delivered to customers since this is a completely fresh build from a fresh company.  Is it impressive?  Sure is.  Is it going to be manna from heaven? Maybe.  Will the meme "RZR Fire" be replaced with some sort of Speed meme due to unforeseen problems? Also maybe.

We still have people comparing a vehicle that hasn't been delivered to a single customer to vehicles that have been delivered to thousands of customers per year. Yes, that motor you're assembling on the bench is gonna be the shiznit.  We'll race when you finish and install it. :biggrin:

They know the gear is going to be noisier and are actually working on trying to quiet it a bit. They mentioned that is this weeks show. I think that maybe they are polishing the gears to help with noise. Sean @ Weddle might know more? 

Robby is going for strength but it would not surprise me if future Gen 2 or 3 cars don’t end up with a spiral gear to reduce noise if the consumers complain. But I guarantee Robby with not substitute quiet for strength. If they can’t make it strong enough it will stay straight. 
In an open vehicle, I doubt it's much of a concern other than customers often confuse gear whine with broken chit.  Shouldn't much louder than these guys:

Meh, who're we kidding: these things will have 200db worth of stereo to drown it out anyway. :biggrin:

Back