Speed UTV

All the UTVs make peak hp and torque in the high RPM ranges.  In the 6,000rpm range you are not moving very fast.  I would say most us are riding around in the 7200-7900rpm range in the dunes with occasional spikes above 8000 rpm depending on the UTV motor. 
Word. Gearing is fun. 

I remember Tony Cola saying that the engine made 250 hp EASILY on the stock tune. The graph was after they started detuning it to meet the 230 hp RG wants. Pretty damn impressive for such a little engine. Check out Episode 40 at the 20 minute mark for more details. The aftermarket will be unlocking those extra 20+hp in no time. 

Edit:

Found it. Here it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JBL
1 hour ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

I remember Tony Cola saying that the engine made 250 hp EASILY on the stock tune. The graph was after they started detuning it to meet the 230 hp RG wants. Pretty damn impressive for such a little engine. Check out Episode 40 at the 20 minute mark for more details. The aftermarket will be unlocking those extra 20+hp in no time. 

Edit:

Found it. Here it is. 

Hopefully at 230hp it not up against the edge for 91 so the tuners can offer  tune for those they don’t want to run race gas.  

In this video, RG gave a tour of the Arrington engine shop, talking about the port and polish area, dyno area, spin, etc. While he was doing that, the camera panned over a torque gauge that displayed 440 ft-lbs before the image changed. The exhaust note didn't sound like a V8 to me, it sounded like the Speed 2 cyl, but RG did not say anything about it so it might be wishful thinking on my part. It makes me wonder if they did make 440 ft-lbs on E85. The reason I suspect that is I remember when they first dyno'd the engine, someone with the FB name "Speed UTV" posted that they did a max. hp dyno run and the engine made 300hp on 91 and 500 hp on E85. Very shortly after that the post was deleted, then he posted that it made 225 hp on 91 an 300 hp on E85. I thought this was really suspicious because those were the exact numbers RG said they would deliver, so that lead me to believe that they might actually have hit 300/500 hp but backed it off and detuned it to exactly 225/300 hp.

My point being, if they did actually get 300/500hp, then aftermarket tuners will be able to unlock that power as well. I'm assuming at that power level it wouldn't last more than one season, if that, before it needs a rebuild. The torque gauge is at 17 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

In this video, RG gave a tour of the Arrington engine shop, talking about the port and polish area, dyno area, spin, etc. While he was doing that, the camera panned over a torque gauge that displayed 440 ft-lbs before the image changed. The exhaust note didn't sound like a V8 to me, it sounded like the Speed 2 cyl, but RG did not say anything about it so it might be wishful thinking on my part. It makes me wonder if they did make 440 ft-lbs on E85. The reason I suspect that is I remember when they first dyno'd the engine, someone with the FB name "Speed UTV" posted that they did a max. hp dyno run and the engine made 300hp on 91 and 500 hp on E85. Very shortly after that the post was deleted, then he posted that it made 225 hp on 91 an 300 hp on E85. I thought this was really suspicious because those were the exact numbers RG said they would deliver, so that lead me to believe that they might actually have hit 300/500 hp but backed it off and detuned it to exactly 225/300 hp.

My point being, if they did actually get 300/500hp, then aftermarket tuners will be able to unlock that power as well. I'm assuming at that power level it wouldn't last more than one season, if that, before it needs a rebuild. The torque gauge is at 17 seconds.

It will be interesting to see if tuners mess with the Speed motor and what they can do.   

Todd Romona has said several times. Once to me in person and on a few live shows he was hosting. That he plans on running a Bandit in the dunes and it will have 500 hp. I bet Greg Biffle will have one too! 
Again don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't pan out but he said they will be putting a V8 in at least one for KOH. He also said the #1 item currently is getting them to customers as soon as they are ready. All the other performance type stuff will happen along side or after.

I think they can do both since the performance and race application stuff if not really associated with the production line stuff. The production line issues will get worked out. Then comes the supply issues which they will note be able to deal with as easy. 

Todd Romona has said several times. Once to me in person and on a few live shows he was hosting. That he plans on running a Bandit in the dunes and it will have 500 hp. I bet Greg Biffle will have one too! 
We shall see.  Biffle has his company Pace Offroad and he loves the Z1 motor. 

All that hp does no good if the clutches and belt don't hold up.  

Reactions: FOG

I have been in his compound at Glamis. Was very impressed. Never seen so much billet machining in my life. I hope he gets one of the first ones to start seeing what can be done. I want to be reliable but have enough for duning a few times a year otherwise I know it will good enough out of the factory. Hope I get mine by Oct 2023 I am way down the line.

When I had Outfront tune my Subaru I mixed in a gallon of some race gas with 4 gallons of 91. I did this for sand duning only. Ended up with 291 crank and 198 to wheels by Johns words. I could feel such a difference over the prior non turbo engine that was doing 180ish crank HP. Now the 2.5 SOC is not a V8 but if I drove the manx any harder I would just break more chit. I Have found over time that only in the sand dunes do I even need that extra HP/TQ. When I hit the trails or pavement The car is more then fast enough for my needs. I hope mabey the same will be true with the speed when ever I get it. I would rather pick up a 5 gallon can of race gas and get 20 to 25 more HP for the dunes and then just use 91 for every thing else. I am getting the windshield and my biggest concern I seeing what the stock fan/raditor will handle. It sound like that is the bottle neck. Will be watching what they do for the race applications as soon as they get some teams up and running. 

I have been in his compound at Glamis. Was very impressed. Never seen so much billet machining in my life. I hope he gets one of the first ones to start seeing what can be done. I want to be reliable but have enough for duning a few times a year otherwise I know it will good enough out of the factory. Hope I get mine by Oct 2023 I am way down the line.
Biffle's UTV is pretty cool.  He can turn down the boost and dune it or turn it up to drag race.

We watched a little bit of the racing a few seasons ago at his compound. 

From what I have seen in the Sand Outlaws Drag Racing series, belts appear to be the number one failure point. Probably one of the reasons Yamaha is a popular choice in that series in addition to weight and size. 
As the demands for higher horsepower increase in CVT driven cars, it seems that the belt manufactures have some catching up to do. 
Wouldn’t going to a wider and thicker belt make it stronger?

From what I have seen in the Sand Outlaws Drag Racing series, belts appear to be the number one failure point. Probably one of the reasons Yamaha is a popular choice in that series in addition to weight and size. 
As the demands for higher horsepower increase in CVT driven cars, it seems that the belt manufactures have some catching up to do. 
Wouldn’t going to a wider and thicker belt make it stronger?
The Speed UTV has a bigger belt and the Polaris Pro R belt is much bigger.  I would think a bigger longer belt will handle the heat and the bigger hp.  

If you compare a belt that went on a XP1000 to the the belt used on the Pro R there is a significant difference in size.  

I think the belt manufactures are figuring out along with clutches being better tuned. 

The drag Yamahas are no joke.  Those Packard built drag cars are stupid fast.  

The killer with the drag racers is holding the car for boosted launches.

Why did RG not build in launch control?  Oh wait he did with the release of the cars.  LMAO!!!!!!
Launching the Honda Talon with launch control is fun. Glad they launched it. 
Maybe after the initial Speed launch, launch control will be launched. 

Back