Speed UTV

Good dune setup is not a good desert setup, and vice versa. You can get a spring set to work for both, but there’s still tweaking between the two…. Unless your idea of “duning” is marching down Sand Highway, turn south to Olds, hit it a couple of times, park, crack a beer or twelve, then head back to camp on the same route. 

Point being: Speed UTV will probably still benefit from some tuning to work optimally in the dunes. 

Or….

Its a magic carpet ride that will be able to drive anywhere without spilling your latte, including right onto the water of the bay over 4th of July weekend, then drive granny to COTA, throw an F1 downforce package on it and dominate, no porpoising.   :biggrin:
Damn you nailed my Glamis riding perfectly!  So Speed is my best car lol.  I also liketo set up my canopy and grill, firewood.  Didnt know there was more behind olds. 

It’s a bit heavier than that. 2455 dry from factory is what they said, fluids and don’t think it was topped off with fuel , she weighed 2609 lbs. El Jefe with out spare, jack and tools should be around 2150ish. View attachment 30527

Guess Todd was way off on weight of the 4 seater. Bandit no skid, body or bed all fluids  came in at 2176. El Jefe probably gonna be a lot closer to the Pro R in weight .

93F94F8F-E397-4E46-8FF2-8DFC34FACA69.jpeg

323622CF-F42C-4747-BC63-5F96A9440A21.jpeg

Been a couple weeks since I checked in ... Did anyone get their SPEED UTV's yet. Tesla delivered a record number of cars in March and April , I figure RG and the gang could squeeze a few cars out.  I want to hear first reports- I am excited

No kool aid required, just a little bit of critical thinking.

RG has been driving trophy trucks for... maybe 30 yrs or more? During that time, he's been driving through all kinds of desert terrain at speeds up to 130 mph. Those are all facts. So it seems reasonable to surmise that he would know what well tuned, well designed shocks handle like. He's obviously not the only driver who has this sort of knowledge. Human nature being what it is, most people take the easiest route. They would take the best shocks they could get from Fox or King and rework them until they get the handling performance they wanted out of them.

But what if someone feels he can get better performance from a different design? A design that Fox and King don't make? So he designs his own shock that does perform at the level he wants. That's probably the hardest way to get what you want, designing it yourself and making it different somehow. That's what RG did, then he scaled it down slightly for the Speed UTV.

Are these shocks tuned to handle perfectly in dunes or desert trails without adjustment? No. However, the difference isn't as dramatic as a F1 shock vs a desert shock. There can be enough range in the adjusters that the shock can be adjusted with the external screws to do very well or excellent in both types of terrain. I had my 8 shocks on my sand rail (it's actually a Foddrill dirt car) adjusted to the middle so that there's enough adjustment in the bypasses that I can get a great ride in both types of terrain.

I'm pretty confident that RG knows a lot more than I (or any of us) about shock tuning and has put enough range in the adjusters to get the performance he wanted both in the sand and dirt. As Sand Shark pointed out, this is aimed at a specific type of terrain, not as general purpose as other brands doing mudding, forest trail riding, etc.

RG has spent a lot more time testing and tuning these shocks than I ever expected and I'm pretty confident he wasn't just goofing off. He drove around giving people rides, which gave him performance data on 4 passengers vs 2 passengers. That also makes a huge difference in shock tuning. So I really don't feel there's any Kool aid involved. Just plain old fashioned experience, hard work and intelligence.
TLDR. I assume this all said you won’t need to change anything and it’ll be awesome. 

But, will it handle the chop on the bay 4th of July weekend?

Good dune setup is not a good desert setup, and vice versa. You can get a spring set to work for both, but there’s still tweaking between the two…. Unless your idea of “duning” is marching down Sand Highway, turn south to Olds, hit it a couple of times, park, crack a beer or twelve, then head back to camp on the same route. 

Point being: Speed UTV will probably still benefit from some tuning to work optimally in the dunes. 

Or….

Its a magic carpet ride that will be able to drive anywhere without spilling your latte, including right onto the water of the bay over 4th of July weekend, then drive granny to COTA, throw an F1 downforce package on it and dominate, no porpoising.   :biggrin:
Correct some tweaking on the clickers is needed between desert and dunes. Usually for me that is just just a few turns on the compression settings.  

Speed UTV shocks are filled with unicorn piss and the valve stacks are from a unicorn horn.  No adjustments needed.  🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a couple weeks since I checked in ... Did anyone get their SPEED UTV's yet. Tesla delivered a record number of cars in March and April , I figure RG and the gang could squeeze a few cars out.  I want to hear first reports- I am excited
Please check back on unicorn day February 30th.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

Damn you nailed my Glamis riding perfectly!  So Speed is my best car lol.  I also liketo set up my canopy and grill, firewood.  Didnt know there was more behind olds. 
Who knew?  Lol!  

The Bandit looks bad ass IMO.  I too was shocked with weight based on hearsay the ElJefe was.  Agree as well when RG said he had nothing to hide and immediately got it on the scales.  Hope next show he has a production ElJefe around to throw on the scales also.  

That was a nice surprise! He hadn't given any hints that they were building a Bandit other than the pic advertising this show.

Wow! 2176 lbs without the body, doors or skid plate. I'm guessing the missing parts weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 lbs? The UHMW skid plate is a lot heavier than other materials. So I'm guessing total weight is about 2325 lbs for the Bandit.

So I'm guessing the El Diablo is probably 50-60 lbs more? It's got 15" longer driveshaft and a slightly longer bed and 15" more frame tubing behind the seats, so that would be my guess. Roughly 2385 lbs.

So what do you guess the El Jefe weighs? It has 10" more wheelbase than the Diablo, 2 more seats, 2 more doors, longer driveshaft, roof, floor, skid plate but a slightly shorter bed. I'm guessing 125 lbs more than the El Diablo. That would put it right about 2510 lbs. Roughly 100 lbs less than the Pro R 4 seater.

My guess as it sat without the body panels was 1835, but I was cheating, so I thought by going off what Todd said the 4 seater was. 

The XX is 1800 lbs, so that was another reason I figured 1800 without the body panels. I thought Mario G said his race XX with all the Speed suspension was around 2200. 

I think Robby was also a bit surprised as I bet that was the first time he was seeing the 2 seat on the scales. But it’s cool it was strait up and not trying to hide it. 

I’ll make the first joke that my El Jefe is going to be the El Heavy. 
The Bandit did look good.   Going to be a fun car to drive.  

That was a nice surprise! He hadn't given any hints that they were building a Bandit other than the pic advertising this show.

Wow! 2176 lbs without the body, doors or skid plate. I'm guessing the missing parts weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 lbs? The UHMW skid plate is a lot heavier than other materials. So I'm guessing total weight is about 2325 lbs for the Bandit.

So I'm guessing the El Diablo is probably 50-60 lbs more? It's got 15" longer driveshaft and a slightly longer bed and 15" more frame tubing behind the seats, so that would be my guess. Roughly 2385 lbs.

So what do you guess the El Jefe weighs? It has 10" more wheelbase than the Diablo, 2 more seats, 2 more doors, longer driveshaft, roof, floor, skid plate but a slightly shorter bed. I'm guessing 125 lbs more than the El Diablo. That would put it right about 2510 lbs. Roughly 100 lbs less than the Pro R 4 seater.
I bet the El Diablo will be over 2400lbs with a full tank of gas and all the fluids.

El Jeffe will come in about the same as the 4 seat Pro R.  

I bet the El Diablo will be over 2400lbs with a full tank of gas and all the fluids.

El Jeffe will come in about the same as the 4 seat Pro R.  
So your estimate is the El Diabo will be over 2400...  it could be. How much over? 2425? 2450?

You might also be right about the El Jefe being 2600. They're all getting so close in weight that how much fuel is in the tank might be the deciding factor in weight as well as value!

:lol:

So your estimate is the El Diabo will be over 2400...  it could be. How much over? 2425? 2450?

You might also be right about the El Jefe being 2600. They're all getting so close in weight that how much fuel is in the tank might be the deciding factor in weight as well as value!

:lol:
So, couple of months ago, Can Ams and RZRs were fat pigs and this made the Speed UTV mo bettah. How we gonna spin this? :biggrin:

Anybody that thought they were gonna be able to cram Robby's legacy in that thing and not be over 2300lbs was delusional. Just his dez cred alone is worth 3 or 4 hundred pounds....

Seriously who cares.. they all way the same, this one is built better and still weighs the same....

i’m not trying to spin it but I went back and watched this this morning although it’s already a couple years old on some of these older models the weight isn’t drastically far off for some of these cars that they’re weighing they don’t all have the aftermarket fixes that would even make them somewhat compatible with the strength of the speed frame, suspension and front diff module

I think it’s right in there and with the extra horsepower I don’t know it should be a wash for the average guys use 

I know on the car I already have I have had to put extra gussets, tubes, bolt retainers, re work my arms and pivot points overtime to fix weaknesses that I’d rather have done correct from the beginning then have to deal with all that chit again 

And seriously looking forward to having four-wheel-drive and a transmission with a reverse unlike the 091 I have which can break at any moment even when you’re backing it off the trailer.

I guess for myself at least I’m still looking forward to it and yeah lighter would be better but it’s a give-and-take situation unless you’ve got government money and are using carbon fiber and titanium

Back