Speed UTV

When the tires are detached and laying 10 ft away from the vehicle, would you call that a good ride?

:lol:
Makes for an exciting ride.  

Like the time my dad’’s friend forgot to tighten the lugs nuts on his sand Jeep.  He went to drag race someone and all four wheels went flying off at the same time.  🤣🤣🤣

We will be well over 200 on this thread! 99% of you boys will NOT be seeing YOUR Speed Car in the dunes until October 2023. Glad to hear LOTD is patiently waiting. Will this car still be a game changer at that time?
By then clevis shock ends will be all the rage on our electric UTVs.   😂 

Aaaaaaany day now...

were-waiting-angry.gif

this thread stalls worse than briscut at 5am.... come on guys keep it going... we're on the road to 200.....

I heard that you'll get a ticket if you fuel the speed UTV on the sand from a non carb compliant fuel container.... Discuss amongst yourselves..... go....

this thread stalls worse than briscut at 5am.... come on guys keep it going... we're on the road to 200.....

I heard that you'll get a ticket if you fuel the speed UTV on the sand from a non carb compliant fuel container.... Discuss amongst yourselves..... go....
LOL!    I think some went to Coyne yesterday to drool over the test Speed UTV that was on display.   They might be a little hungover.  

LOTD did not make it because he was giving an engineering presentation to Space X on clevis use.  LMAO.

Rumor is the Speed UTV owners will be ghost camping next season in Glamis with non-carb compliant gas cans used to save space.  LOL

LOL!    I think some went to Coyne yesterday to drool over the test Speed UTV that was on display.   They might be a little hungover.  

LOTD did not make it because he was giving an engineering presentation to Space X on clevis use.  LMAO.
Clevis on the shock is way worse than a spherical bearing on the shock: it's two protrusions surrounding a bearing/bushing on the arm.  Way different than the bearing/bushing being on the shock surrounded by two protrusions on the arm, especially when the clevis is likely forged while the tabs are welded on mild steel (or maybe 4130).  :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clevis on the shock is way worse than a spherical bearing on the shock: it's two protrusions surrounding a bearing/bushing on the arm.  Way different than the bearing/bushing being on the shock surrounded by two protrusions on the arm, especially when the clevis is likely forged while the tabs are welded on mild steel (or maybe 4130).  :biggrin:
Worse for sure. Way worse? That is subjective.

Clevis on the shock requires a lot more material due to the increased leverage and proneness to buckling.

Seeing the stress analysis on both would be awesome to see!

giphy.gif

Worse for sure. Way worse? That is subjective.

Clevis on the shock requires a lot more material due to the increased leverage and proneness to buckling.

Seeing the stress analysis on both would be awesome to see!
Yep. The length of the tabs is problematic but not hard to deal with.  I'd guess the coil bucket sitting directly on the clevis mitigates some (salty desert mud + aluminum + steel anyone? :biggrin: ), combined with the overall beef/material choice compared to welded on tabs.  Looking at photos, I'm assuming forged steel since it's painted.  Polaris isn't really prone to chassis failure as a company (Can Am is much "better" at that), just shitty shock choices (Walker Evans pretzels anyone?) and of course the ever-present lack of ability to address car-b-ques.  

image_6e2505d0-9350-4fc0-88b0-1cd0ddfce6a5_1024x1024.jpg

But no, you can't just throw some 1/4" mild steel at it like you would tabs on a control arm, but not that different than the extended shock ends you see on some desert racers:

justin-matney-4-wheel-drive-trophy-truck-008.jpg

Hell, Fox will sell you this thing for their big boy shocks:

https://www.kartek.com/parts/fox-3-coil-over-or-35-4-44-bypass-shock-bottom-eyelet-56-top-edge-to-cntr-use-34-uniball.html

My guess is they'll all burn to the ground or assplode diffs/gearboxes before that clevis fails in regular use. :biggrin:

That was in 2012. None of the competition came with 18" of travel, a full tube frame or e-steering stock at the time. This also brings up another point: the current crop of UTVs are too powerful for their chassis or suspension to handle. I had the cage replaced with chromo and even though it will get to mid 70s, I feel safe in it. The Pro R can hit 106 mph. Would you want to wreck in it going that fast? I have nothing against fast vehicles, I just wish they were stronger to withstand crash forces at top speed. The Wildcat is so underpowered, I'm not worried.
Good post.

HP and Weight compared to their structural integrity are at a point yard sales are inevitable when crashed. 

I did and happy I did so. Got a chance to sit with Todd (inside with A/C since it was 100 outside) We talked for over 20 minutes. He showed me some stuff that he wants to get out on a show soon mostly all the production issues that they fixed of which they spoke about at the sand show and since. Got several of my questions answered. Not going to go into a long one here only to have it beaten down by the haters. But after walking thru the show room and looking at all the competition I still will say I would rather wait for a Diablo then have anything else that was there. I would say they are pretty stocked up at Coyne but in talking with a sales person the chip issue is still affecting Can Am and others. He said they only had 3 Can Ams out of bunch that were able to be sold. I think he said that maybe they will get some more parts in another month for a few more to be able to sell. The other fellow that works for Speed in there LA shop said he will probably be at Fun Bike Center and other locations in SD next Wednesday. But don't take that for sure unless you see them post it. 

I did and happy I did so. Got a chance to sit with Todd (inside with A/C since it was 100 outside) We talked for over 20 minutes. He showed me some stuff that he wants to get out on a show soon mostly all the production issues that they fixed of which they spoke about at the sand show and since. Got several of my questions answered. Not going to go into a long one here only to have it beaten down by the haters. But after walking thru the show room and looking at all the competition I still will say I would rather wait for a Diablo then have anything else that was there. I would say they are pretty stocked up at Coyne but in talking with a sales person the chip issue is still affecting Can Am and others. He said they only had 3 Can Ams out of bunch that were able to be sold. I think he said that maybe they will get some more parts in another month for a few more to be able to sell. The other fellow that works for Speed in there LA shop said he will probably be at Fun Bike Center and other locations in SD next Wednesday. But don't take that for sure unless you see them post it. 
The Speed UTV is very nice in person.  Even the ones they had at the Sand Show.  If I were to get a Speed UTV the Bandit or Diablo would be my choice.  

The chip shortage does not seem to be getting any better.  Can Am has been delivering units with no dash or ECU for a while.  

Back