Speed UTV

@Lord of the Dunes

No clue why.  Could be they didn't leave enough overhead in the design.  Could be because they got a bad pre-production batch.  My point, again, is the clevis isn't a poor design concept.  Whether or not Polaris executed it well is another story.
Isn't that the entire point of this discussion??

Polaris' use of the clevis on the Pro R. 

I will.

If the Speed ends up having a problem that they all share, I'll be one of the first to say I think it's a design flaw. Hell, from pics and video so far, I see 2 things that concern me. I would have done these 2 things differently and if I or others experience failures on those parts, I'll change the design myself or have new parts fabbed.

I don't feel the Speed or RG is perfect and I never stated that. People who cannot understand what was written in plain english have said that.

Is that not obvious from the photo?

Both Brenthel and ProR have the shock bolt in double sheer.

Brenthel is using a clevis to get the shock monoball below centerline of the lower link.

This is NOT the reason Polaris is using a clevis. They aren't doing it to reduce torsional loading of the lower arm like others have eluded to. That is a bullshit excuse.
LOL, Whether this is why they did it, no clue.  It is useful for the shock to be closer to the axle centerline with rubber bushings though.  Sphericals, doesn't really matter.

Are the Brenthals running double shear mounts????????????? asking for a friend.
Quadruple.

You might be correct. I thought there was a gap between the 2 clevis mounting points. If the area of the wishbone arm is solid between the 2 points of the clevis, then you're correct.

I haven't seen any closeup pics yet that shows whether there's a gap there, which would determine whether it's single or double. If it's got 2 bolts, then it's 2 single shear mounts, if it's a single bolt with no gaps in between, then it's double shear.
How would they get it tight if there's a gap? 

Looks like they might have a spherical or maybe a rubber bushing in the arm:

618a8f2b95d1c-1024x682.jpeg

What about a Jeep?  Is that an offroad vehicle?  There are lots of vehicles out there that use a clevis mount for the shock.

What did your aerospace buddy think when you said a clevis is single shear? 

Sure, vocab mistake.  The point remains: why is tensile strength the only design consideration?  If I have a 1/4" fastener with a tensile strength of 1,000psi, and another 1/2" and 700psi, which is stronger?

So, you're saying tabs on a control arm are inferior as well because it's "redirecting direct forces into two separate directions"?  The force of the shock's single spherical bearing is still transferred to two tabs, is it not?

Personally, I think your "buddy" is google.  That, or he's exactly the same as you: splits hairs during an argument to be "right" without looking at the overall picture.
Actually, he and I NEVER disagree on anything. Even though I'm not an engineer, I understand enough that I agree with everything he says. Using the correct terminology and understanding that a clevis is inferior is not "splitting hairs."

@Lord of the Dunes owns one.  This website saw similar carpet-bombing of Wildcat praise when he bought it as we see now with the Speed UTV.  Polaris?  Junk.  Get a Wildcat because "low CoG" or whatever.
That was in 2012. None of the competition came with 18" of travel, a full tube frame or e-steering stock at the time. This also brings up another point: the current crop of UTVs are too powerful for their chassis or suspension to handle. I had the cage replaced with chromo and even though it will get to mid 70s, I feel safe in it. The Pro R can hit 106 mph. Would you want to wreck in it going that fast? I have nothing against fast vehicles, I just wish they were stronger to withstand crash forces at top speed. The Wildcat is so underpowered, I'm not worried.

Actually, he and I NEVER disagree on anything. Even though I'm not an engineer, I understand enough that I agree with everything he says. Using the correct terminology and understanding that a clevis is inferior is not "splitting hairs."
So, all the other vehicles that've been using a clevis type design (yes yes, a GTR is not an off road vehicle) did this to avoid getting sued by Robby as well? :biggrin:

That was in 2012. None of the competition came with 18" of travel, a full tube frame or e-steering stock at the time. This also brings up another point: the current crop of UTVs are too powerful for their chassis or suspension to handle. I had the cage replaced with chromo and even though it will get to mid 70s, I feel safe in it. The Pro R can hit 106 mph. Would you want to wreck in it going that fast? I have nothing against fast vehicles, I just wish they were stronger to withstand crash forces at top speed. The Wildcat is so underpowered, I'm not worried.
I wouldn't want to get into a wreck at 106mph in any vehicle.  I've been there, it hurts and it's amazing how long it seems to take before you finally stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a single bolt. How is that not obvious?!
Because I haven't seen a pic from the bottom or top. Every pic I've seen shows it from the front, so it's NOT obvious. All I see is a bolt head attached to the clevis.

Do you have a pic to post that makes it obvious?

LOL, Whether this is why they did it, no clue.  It is useful for the shock to be closer to the axle centerline with rubber bushings though.  Sphericals, doesn't really matter.

Quadruple.

How would they get it tight if there's a gap? 

Looks like they might have a spherical or maybe a rubber bushing in the arm:

I thought the clevis was a lot wider and was fastened with a bolt on each side bolted to a single shear mount to an arm that looked more like a wishbone.

All I've ever seen were pics from the front of the car showing a bolt head up against the clevis. From that angle, I couldn't tell if they were using a single bolt or 2 bolts.

So, all the other vehicles that've been using a clevis type design (yes yes, a GTR is not an off road vehicle) did this to avoid getting sued by Robby as well? :biggrin:
I was going to say quit being ridiculous, but perhaps that's your version of a joke?

Hard to tell. 

I thought the clevis was a lot wider and was fastened with a bolt on each side bolted to a single shear mount to an arm that looked more like a wishbone.

All I've ever seen were pics from the front of the car showing a bolt head up against the clevis. From that angle, I couldn't tell if they were using a single bolt or 2 bolts.
Two bolts would be more expensive, weaker and insane to work on/assemble/manufacture.  If we know PoPo, cost is definitely an object.  Like I said, it's just a mirror image of a standard shock end, except the bushing/spherical (whatever's in there) is on the arm and the tabs are on the shock.

I was going to say quit being ridiculous, but perhaps that's your version of a joke?

Hard to tell. 
Most of my posts: jokes.  The rest are just debates for shits and grins.

Because I haven't seen a pic from the bottom or top. Every pic I've seen shows it from the front, so it's NOT obvious. All I see is a bolt head attached to the clevis.

Do you have a pic to post that makes it obvious?
So you argue about a design and say it is not something.  Continue to argue about it and then admit you have not taken a close look.  Then when you do finally look you realize you were wrong.   LMAO!!!!   

Thanks for the extra 2 pages added to this thread.  LMAO!!!!

I am guessing you have never ridden in a Can Am X3 or Polaris.  Just by pictures you assume it is a crappy ride. 

So you argue about a design and say it is not something.  Continue to argue about it and then admit you have not taken a close look.  Then when you do finally look you realize you were wrong.   LMAO!!!!   

Thanks for the extra 2 pages added to this thread.  LMAO!!!!

I am guessing you have never ridden in a Can Am X3 or Polaris.  Just by pictures you assume it is a crappy ride. 
When the tires are detached and laying 10 ft away from the vehicle, would you call that a good ride?

:lol:

Back