Speed UTV

So your cousin wants the cliff note huh? 

Differences from the Diablo and the Bandit as far as I know is that the Diablo has a bigger bed, about 10” of space behind the seats which is supposed to have an access door/step/seat on the side of the car that pops down to stow away miscellaneous stuff. Also the room there to install a bigger gas tank if you wanted to. Robby has said that this would be his car of choice due to the longer wheelbase. 

But Robby was pretty impressed with Max’s shorter wheelbase car during his last race. Said the car handled the whoops very easily and were even making up ground there passing others including some turbo cars. (Max’s car is N/A with 95”wheelbase) 

The smaller car (Bandit) will probably be the most nimble and fun to play in. But who knows when that will arrive. I don’t believe they’ve even built one prototype yet. 

Anyways that’s a start. 

Here’s a picture of the Diablo. Under the word UTV on the body panel,  there is supposed to be the access door. 77FB3551-D717-4BB8-AA7F-AF833202CC72.jpeg

@CampfiresNbrews just and FYI Max's race car is a Textron/ArcticCat Wildcat XX with all the SPEED SxS upgrades (Speed 77" LT kit, Speed Shocks, etc...) and it will be equivalent to the Speed UTV Bandit. It has the Yamaha engine and Team clutch/diffs.

The Wildcat XX shares the same basic suspension platform (62" wide) that the Speed UTV now uses just at 77" Wide.

So my cousin was visiting this weekend and he is getting closer to buying a car. He would use his car 50/50 dunes and desert. I told him if it was me I would be putting money down on a Speed car. I have followed this thread but don't remember these items. First in a two seater would the 95" or 110" car be better. I told him I felt the 110" especially for the whoops in Glamis.  So is the wheelbase the only difference in the Bandit and El Diablo? He did like the idea of more storage in back as well if that is the case. For the El Diablo they are showing $37,999 but then under the drop down and MSRP it shows Base $30,000 LE $34,999 RG $37,999. What is the difference? Can you even buy a lower price version or is the price now the $38K? I was showing him my Can Am and all of the aftermarket parts to make it stronger. Geiser Bro front bulkhead and rear plate. S3 Shock tower brace. Taco kit for the arms. Shock Therapy springs and revalve. Only 800 miles on my car and I have already killed a front CV boot in the desert. Wrapped it with ziplock bags to get through the rest of that trip. ( Desert). Tore it apart and replaced just the boot and regreased the CV. Most people would not do that much work and just buy an axle.  Then in Glamis the only trip I had it down there it killed another front CV boot on the other side. Happened early in a ride and sand absolutely murdered the CV and axle. $360 for an axle at vendors and a few hours labor I had it back up and running. Those boots are a hard almost plastic and sure seem like a weak link. What is Robbie doing? Will his be more robust? Showed him some videos of the Pro R as well. But aren't those cars $40k but selling higher? We did look through all of the 8 pages of Speed accessories you can buy. If you don't go crazy it sure seems like the Speed is still going to be the best value. That is if they can get them built on a large scale without supply chain issues. So..... curios on my questions and also if you currently had to plunk down the 4k deposit for a Speed which car would you order? With the current amount of orders and best case Robbies vision of how many cars he can get built I wonder how long for a car if ordered now. 6 months? Another year? We did look at a bunch of used Can Ams on FP MP and it seems like a car with under 1500 miles and dressed with stronger parts including a cage he would have to spend at least $35k. What say you. He does like the look of the Speed car. 
If he is doing 50/50 dunes and desert I would be looking at the 95" wheelbase Bandit for the Speed UTV.  Should be nimble enough to have fun in the dunes and desert.  I think once you put the accessories on it you will be close to $40K into it for a base model.  

Why put down a $4K deposit to only have your money sitting for months or possibly longer before you might get a car. Might as well sit back and see how the Speed UTV does once in the hands of owners.  You can see how Speed handles warranty issues and supply of parts.  I think you might be stuck getting and ordering the Speed UTV from the dealer as I thought at some point there would not be direct sales (not sure on this and someone can correct me, if I am not right).    The value of the Speed was being the earlier deposit owners. 

The Polaris Pro R comes in 3 trim levels.  The base model starts at $31K and the top model is $37K (ride command and the live valve shocks).   He should also look at the Polaris Turbo R, which has the same suspension as the Pro R, but comes with the 181hp turbo motor.  The Turbo R price for the top model is $33K and it has the latest version of the live value suspension and ride command. The base model is $26K. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@CampfiresNbrews just and FYI Max's race car is a Textron/ArcticCat Wildcat XX with all the SPEED SxS upgrades (Speed 77" LT kit, Speed Shocks, etc...) and it will be equivalent to the Speed UTV Bandit. It has the Yamaha engine and Team clutch/diffs.

The Wildcat XX shares the same basic suspension platform (62" wide) that the Speed UTV now uses just at 77" Wide.
Yeah I know. Guess I should have mentioned some of that. I was already a few drinks in when I posted. Surprised my post made some sense. 🥴

Bandit should be a SWEET car WHEN they come out. 

As for how long it will take to get after you order, nobody knows. If you go back a few pages there is an instagram snap shot of Robby saying once a car is in production it will take 90 days to receive it. With the amount of cars already ordered and what he thinks he can get done daily, I would bet you won’t see a car ordered now til next year sometime.

They'll be running a 2JZ by then.
How many J Zs?

2jZlol.jpg

Thanks  - I know the Emtron I should have recognized it. I knew they used continental on the SST, and knew that was not it.  

Luckily the Chinese are far better at Hardware than Software , so hardly any difficult SW comes out of there  (so far, although more of them are taking CS than Americans in our universities)
Luckily, it's hard to teach innovation.

Sadly, we're adopting the formulaic teaching methods of other countries...

This person was totally a professional 

View attachment 28594
How many shears on the tie rods?

Production starts Friday. 

How much wood could a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood?

So when would be the 1st batch of cars be delivered? I guess 40 cars a day is no longer in the picture? Either way I will wait patiently.

So when would be the 1st batch of cars be delivered? I guess 40 cars a day is no longer in the picture? Either way I will wait patiently.
If they start production on the 50 cars in April it sounds like it would be a late June or July delivery date.  

Assuming April 11th Start (Monday)

90 days out on M-F would be 18 weeks. (assuming 5 day work week)

18 weeks from April 11th would be August 16th

August 16th, I expect the 1st complete Speed UTV to roll off the production line.

90days with a 7 day work week would be July 10th at the soonest.

Keep in mind delivery date is not the same as the date the UTV leaves the production line. Delivery dates are still TBD.

I'm El Jefe #376 (Master Unite #433) and I am hoping I see mine before Halloween 2022.

I asked Jim, Being that you have been in the UTV ecosystem for years and can now speak freely. What few items stand out that make you say the Speed UTV is a Game Changer?

How do you see this Speed car compared to the new Polaris Pro R? Because of the 2000cc engine the Pro R is too being called a game changer. 

With all the hype around electronic aided shocks. Do you think it’s really needed? How do you compare what you saw and experienced with the Speed Shocks vs the Fox & Live Valve? 

I would like to hear more of your opinions on what you think about the Speed UTV and how it stacked up to the current crop of UTV’s? 

Here was Jim’s response; 

Power wise, HP is HP. Speed and the Pro R are similar. To me, its what you can do with the power that matters. 3 speed in the Speed does a whole lot to make use of the power. I know it'll go 300 HP on E85, but honestly, I don't think it's needed unless maybe you are racing.

Obviously every single part on the Speed was very well thought out. They are production parts that look like high end race parts, and the welds are very nice. Displays, interior, doors, etc all made you have the feeling of sitting in a high end race car, and this was a 40k production UTV.

By far what stood out to me the most was the suspension and handling. I just finished 6th overall at Parker and what we were doing in the production Speed UTV my race car simply won't do, and that was what stood out to me.

Electronic suspension is nice. I've spent a lot of time in the live valve RZR's and KRX 1000's. For the average consumer live valve is nice because it takes the thinking out of things. Just go and drive. The Speed cars shocks are something else. Highly tuned to go fast in the desert with decades of knowledge in them. Lets not forget Robby built his own TT shocks for years... For someone wanting to take a Speed UTV crawling or through some tight technical GNCC tree lined trails on the East Coast? Yeah you might give up a little. Same way someone buying a Raptor over a Bronco is giving up things in certain areas to do something better.

I also want to say i am in no way saying the Pro R is a bad car. It's insanely fast and very good and anyone with one should be very happy and if you bought one while waiting on a Speed UTV, you made a solid buy. It's also a car meant to do a lot of things.

Robby built the Speed UTV to do one thing and do it best. The Speed UTV knows what it is. It makes no apologies. Anyone with an order in will be happy with what they end up with when it finally does arrive.
I would not argue with any of what Jim said -  

The bigger question everyone wants to ignore  is whether or not that experience can practically be translated into a production vehicle that is profitable ... thats still to be seen..

The more  "game changer" something is, the less it is likely to profitable at same selling price of a compromised  "cost engineered" product like Canned Ham or RZR  The reason those cars have so much plastic and thinner materials is a "compromised design"  . Its not a bad thing all around, its a practical thing, Like cloth interior vs Leather  on compact cars...  

I honestly have not seen many if any on the SPEED - which is great  for the user in the short term, not so great for the long term stability/profitability of a company. I doubt the first 500 cars make RG any profit unless there is huge price increase  - Break even would be a lofty goal FWIW

Back