Speed UTV

Must have been the saddlehorn... errrr... man-bun got in the way.

Found this write up from a guy who got a few chances to ride in the Speed UTV out in Parker last week. 

View attachment 28635
View attachment 28636
Nice write up.     Do you think RG will have to do any changes to the suspension to pass that roll test?  Would suck if had to make changes as it sounds like the suspension is dialed in nicely for the desert. 

Those Canned Hams are significantly lower than the Turbo S. I'd say by 6+ inches. That is the challenge.. Turbo S has some body roll. Also, suspension was markedly improved after tossing $3.5k into them. I think I've only G'd out twice since they were tuned and they were oh sh__ driver/terrain error on my part. 

Other than that I'm amazed what they eat up. 2 seat wheel base has it's advantages/disadvantages. If you wanted a SXS for rock crawling (my least favorite deal), I think the Turbo S is hands down the best. 

I like the geometry on the Speed. Wonder what the ground clearance is.

abc

I really enjoyed watching this presentation #41. Talked about geometry of his cars in comparison to the other brands. I think this is what guys are talking about when they rave about how good the suspension handles. Start at the 28 minute mark. 

Also @Sand Shark I remember that RG said because the car was 77” wide that it will also help with the j turn. 

Last edited by a moderator:
13 hours ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

I really enjoyed watching this presentation #41. Talked about geometry of his cars in comparison to the other brands. I think this is what guys are talking about when they rave about how good the suspension handles. Start at the 28 minute mark. 

The suspension set up and geometry is for sure much better than the others. I would think the Wildcat XX has similar geometry.  77" wide with the wheelbase of the El Jeffe will make it nice and stable.  I wish he had a 2 seater pre-production he was giving test rides in so people that have 2 seat SXSs can see the difference.  Jumping into a 4 seater from a 2 seater they always feel smoother.  

RG has luxury of getting the shock valving dialed in as the Speed UTV is targeted to the desert.   Polaris, Can Am, Yamaha and the rest all have to valve the shocks for the masses and end up stiffer to pass the roll test.  With the Speed UTV you in theory should not have to take the shocks to a tuner to get them dialed in.  Another added value to the purchase of a Speed UTV.  

My shocks on my X3 are valved and sprung.  So mine will soak up stuff a stock one may not be able to as well.  Have the shocks set up properly on the X3 changes the ride and handling dramatically.  My first X3 on stock shocks would dart and bounce off stuff.  My current X3 does not dart at all and soaks up the stuff.   

Yes it was said by Robby that the oil tank sight tube was leaking, but they had a fix. Then The Owl said they say oil on the CVT side. No idea where or what that’s about? Any oil leak near an engine with a very hot turbo is not good and concerning too me. But I’m a 150% confident Robby’s not ignoring it and it will be resolved, whatever the issue is or was? He has not gone this far and said “F” it! It’s good enough. If it’s not right it will be resolved. 

So while it’s not exciting to hear their was oil leaking, I’d rather have it found out now, then later. And I’m confident it will be fixed. 
Absolutely! I'm very grateful he's doing the amount of testing he is doing and he's taking this project so personally. He's finding a lot of little things he's fixing before they start production and I wouldn't have been too happy if these things slipped through out to the public. 

I wonder if these little changes he makes to the engine will effect the CARB process.  

Back