Speed UTV

It was one dune over from a Can Am sans front left spindle left all by itself Saturday… lol
They litter the road to Olds on busy weekends  - people just leave them - they have insurance... I am amazed that Insurance companies are fixing all these and not charging outrageous rates...every SxS in my group has been repaired by Insurance at least once.. Last CanAm was an 18K repair bill

Hopefully SPEED Owners will get that same deal - hard to say since RG is such a small and new manufacturer... Polaris and CanAm have a Lot of products across a lot of markets  -CanAm has UTV's Motorcycles, etc,  Polaris has UTV's, Boats, Motorcycles and even that 3 wheel Slingshot and way more. 

It wi\ll be interesting to see how Insurance companies treat the SPEED

Last edited by a moderator:
They litter the road to Olds on busy weekends  - people just leave them - they have insurance... I am amazed that Insurance companies are fixing all these and not charging outrageous rates...every SxS in my group has been repaired by Insurance at least once.. Last CanAm was an 18K repair bill

Hopefully SPEED Owners will get that same deal - hard to say since RG is such a small and new manufacturer... Polaris and CanAm have a Lot of products across a lot of markets  -CanAm has UTV's Motorcycles, etc,  Polaris has UTV's, Boats, Motorcycles and even that 3 wheel Slingshot and way more. 

Back when I first heard about people insuring their UTVs, I didn't really believe it would cover anything or it would just be a crazy high rate and only cover certain losses like theft or something that might happen off the trail. It still baffles me how often people make claims on these things and somehow maintain a relatively low rate. I guess there must just be a ton more people buying insurance and not making claims to keep the rates where they are.

I find it even more interesting that most people in buggies only use their insurance for liability, theft and fire,  while the SxS peeps are making claims for everything like it is their Honda Accord at home.............how is this sustainable for the insurance companies?

Maybe all the people that go out and finance these things and have to insure them and then don't use them. Kinda like Harleys. 

I find it even more interesting that most people in buggies only use their insurance for liability, theft and fire,  while the SxS peeps are making claims for everything like it is their Honda Accord at home.............how is this sustainable for the insurance companies?
I know people that have used their insurance on their buggy to make repairs after a crash.   Buggy insurance seems like it is a pain to get if you want to go over $50K.  

SXS insurance is relatively cheap and until the covid pricing jacked up the used market the insurance companies were not paying out a crazy about.  Copart is loaded with totaled SXSs.

It will be interesting to see what insurance rates the Speed UTV owners end up paying.  Maybe RG will start Speed Insurance.  

Isn’t it true if it’s being financed they have to be insured and not just for liability?

most of the finance companies require insurance of some type and the dealers have you "sign" a waiver saying you will carry insurance, but it isn't enforced to my knowledge

I never had insurance on my Rhinos till a friend was killed by a flying F250 over the dunes. The families on both sides were massively in legal debt, not saying insurance would have helped but piece of mind knowing something is better then nothing

Ours is insured, but to me, the only reason to make a claim is if someone stole it or something outside of your control.  Wadding it up because you wanted to clear the double at Swing Set seems like it's your problem.  

Ours is insured, but to me, the only reason to make a claim is if someone stole it or something outside of your control.  Wadding it up because you wanted to clear the double at Swing Set seems like it's your problem.  
This is exactly my point with owning a buggy.  If I break it because I am being Robbie Gordon, that is on me.  If it get stolen, fire, or liability, this is the reason to use the insurance.  I get it that you have to have insurance, not my point, but what is appropriate to use it...................probably just a sign of the times and new off roader mentality.

This is exactly my point with owning a buggy.  If I break it because I am being Robbie Gordon, that is on me.  If it get stolen, fire, or liability, this is the reason to use the insurance.  I get it that you have to have insurance, not my point, but what is appropriate to use it...................probably just a sign of the times and new off roader mentality.
I think a lot more people have made insurance claims on sandrails than you might think.  When the market crashed it seemed there were a lot more rails crashing in the dunes.  When people  I have heard it is a pain in the ass to get insurance on a sandrail these days and most insurance companies cap you at $50,000.  I am guessing they were getting hit with $60K and up insurance claims/repair bills.    

My initial thought in getting insurance is to protect me if it gets stolen or god forbid you hit someone. My last X3 was the first time I ever made any insurance claim on an offroad vehicle. Only reason is the frame was toast and beyond reasonable cost repair.  I was not sure if it would be covered.  Called my agent and he said that is why you have insurance.  He walked me through the process.  

If you got in a regular car accident that caused extensive damage and the accident was your fault would you call your insurance company?  I would say almost all of us would make the call.  

I am sure if insurance gets a video of some dude going dukes of hazard in their SXS they would do everything they could to deny the claim.

I think a lot more people have made insurance claims on sandrails than you might think.  When the market crashed it seemed there were a lot more rails crashing in the dunes.  When people  I have heard it is a pain in the ass to get insurance on a sandrail these days and most insurance companies cap you at $50,000.  I am guessing they were getting hit with $60K and up insurance claims/repair bills.    

My initial thought in getting insurance is to protect me if it gets stolen or god forbid you hit someone. My last X3 was the first time I ever made any insurance claim on an offroad vehicle. Only reason is the frame was toast and beyond reasonable cost repair.  I was not sure if it would be covered.  Called my agent and he said that is why you have insurance.  He walked me through the process.  

If you got in a regular car accident that caused extensive damage and the accident was your fault would you call your insurance company?  I would say almost all of us would make the call.  

I am sure if insurance gets a video of some dude going dukes of hazard in their SXS they would do everything they could to deny the claim.
In your situation I would probably done the same.  Kind of makes you look at the longevity of SxS, I know you put a lot of miles on yours, but either it way it failed due to wear and tear, or was it a one time hazard you hit?

If my buggy framed failed, I can't image any situation I would go thru insurance, I am sure there are exceptions, but I think you get my point.

As for the car analogy, of course I would go thru insurance.  Just not worth my time to deal with it and another insurance company (person) thru the process.  Going thru it right now...............ugh.

Yep.  Hell, we've had insurance through momentum.  Took advantage of a Can Am/BRP financing deal for a rebate, saw there was no prepayment penalty, and 86'd that note the following month.  Cheap enough that we keep it in the event of the worst happening, but we've damaged it through talent mismanagement and just fixed it ourselves.

I don't blame you there. I'm not talking about stuff like that.  I'm talking about stuff like the Swing Set.  Dudes just sending it with zero F's given, and now that I see how easily insurance covers it, makes sense.  

Car accident, yes, I'd make a claim, but my insurance probably won't cover it if I decided to jump off the top of Olds in my Mustang... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
In your situation I would probably done the same.  Kind of makes you look at the longevity of SxS, I know you put a lot of miles on yours, but either it way it failed due to wear and tear, or was it a one time hazard you hit?

If my buggy framed failed, I can't image any situation I would go thru insurance, I am sure there are exceptions, but I think you get my point.

As for the car analogy, of course I would go thru insurance.  Just not worth my time to deal with it and another insurance company (person) thru the process.  Going thru it right now...............ugh.
Initially when it happen I was going to just have it welded.  Had my friend waiting for me at Stateline with is welder.  Then I tubing let go and I knew it was much more than a simple weld job.  I think it was a combo with one final hard hit on the ass end that finished it off.  Transmission mounts broke, the frame cracked and the transmission had a leak it did not have before.   

My XP1000 had close to 7500 miles on it when the second owner sold it and no signs of any frame wear.  I drove the crap out of it for 5500 of those miles.

I think from a longevity stand point the Polaris hold up better than the Can Am X3 if you are not going to just putt around.   

My Rhino I pulled the a-arms out the frame and it never even dawned on me to make an insurance claim.  Just had Joe Fab welded it up. 

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Yep.  Hell, we've had insurance through momentum.  Took advantage of a Can Am/BRP financing deal for a rebate, saw there was no prepayment penalty, and 86'd that note the following month.  Cheap enough that we keep it in the event of the worst happening, but we've damaged it through talent mismanagement and just fixed it ourselves.

I don't blame you there. I'm not talking about stuff like that.  I'm talking about stuff like the Swing Set.  Dudes just sending it with zero F's given, and now that I see how easily insurance covers it, makes sense.  

LOL!

I agree dudes that are launching their rides at the jumps in Glamis should be prepared to pay for their fixes.  

When I have financed some of the purchase they never asked about insurance. 
Well again I thought the insurance is required if you have something financed because the company that’s holding the paperwork and is the true owner until you pay it off is going to want to know that they are covered in case anything happens to the machine whether it’s wrecked stolen catches on fire or anything if it’s not worth whatever value you still owe on it they’re gonna want the coverage above and beyond

Back