Speed UTV

I was talking with a couple racers and fab guys last weekend. They said that the Speed UTV is in a holding pattern right now and also said something about backing out of the Havasu shop. I guess we will see.
Yes, I guess we will see. There is a lot of talk and speculation, even some wildly crazy stories going around.

A fab guy recently told me he had a couple of customers who told him that they had gotten revised invoices via email and they were over $10k higher than the original contracted price, due to price increases on steel alone. I told him that was odd. Mine is #1048 and I haven't gotten any price increase. He was surprised, he didn't realize I also had one on order. When I asked for names, he suddenly couldn't remember any of them.

I'm also on a couple of Speed UTV FB groups (one is pre-orders only) and nobody anywhere has mentioned getting a price increase, so I'm gonna chalk that story up to pure fabrication. Pun intended.    :lol:

If anyone received a higher invoice, it would spread like wildfire through those FB groups.

Yes, I guess we will see. There is a lot of talk and speculation, even some wildly crazy stories going around.

A fab guy recently told me he had a couple of customers who told him that they had gotten revised invoices via email and they were over $10k higher than the original contracted price, due to price increases on steel alone. I told him that was odd. Mine is #1048 and I haven't gotten any price increase. He was surprised, he didn't realize I also had one on order. When I asked for names, he suddenly couldn't remember any of them.

I'm also on a couple of Speed UTV FB groups (one is pre-orders only) and nobody anywhere has mentioned getting a price increase, so I'm gonna chalk that story up to pure fabrication. Pun intended.    :lol:

If anyone received a higher invoice, it would spread like wildfire through those FB groups.
Ya I haven’t heard anything about raised prices. You are correct, that would spread super quick!

In qualifying Max’s XX kept going into limp mode. Engine and electronics are not Speed. Don’t know if they even started the race.

Suspension only Speed related  items on his XX. 
01CA92B7-6B58-4B17-B1BF-4C41A17CB32E.png

Guess they did run, snapped tie rod bolt in rack ended it.

Live tracking, updates, etc . sucked for the Parker 250. Still don’t see Max in the results for the Parker. 

I've been getting this feeling lately that their racing efforts have suffered recently from getting spread too thin. The trophy truck, Max's XX, the customer's race car Speed UTV that went to Dakar, all of the prototype and pre-production testing on the Speed UTVs.

I'm sure they're all working 12+ hrs/day and giving 100%, but if they weren't so overloaded with projects, given the staff they have - would they have found or replaced all of these failed small parts that have been plaguing them? Should they have tried to hire more mechanics/welders?

Or is it just dumb luck when some teams seem to have no failures and RGM seems to be having a string of small part failures race after race? They've been using race shop welders to build the racing UTV chassis, I can't help but wonder if those guys would normally be going over their own race vehicles with a fine toothed comb, possibly catching cracks on the rear arm/axle junction before it broke in 2 different events, just as one example.

Agreed with the stretched too thin. Rock and a Hard Place.

Can't stop making play UTV's. Can't stop racing. 

I've been getting this feeling lately that their racing efforts have suffered recently from getting spread too thin. The trophy truck, Max's XX, the customer's race car Speed UTV that went to Dakar, all of the prototype and pre-production testing on the Speed UTVs.

I'm sure they're all working 12+ hrs/day and giving 100%, but if they weren't so overloaded with projects, given the staff they have - would they have found or replaced all of these failed small parts that have been plaguing them? Should they have tried to hire more mechanics/welders?

Or is it just dumb luck when some teams seem to have no failures and RGM seems to be having a string of small part failures race after race? They've been using race shop welders to build the racing UTV chassis, I can't help but wonder if those guys would normally be going over their own race vehicles with a fine toothed comb, possibly catching cracks on the rear arm/axle junction before it broke in 2 different events, just as one example.
I think RGs race program has been a hurry up/last minute operation for several years and before the Speed UTV.   When he was using the RPM truck and having them do the prep work he had great success.  When he stopped using their truck and prep it seems to be hit or miss on how he does at a race.  

Now add in the Speed UTV stuff, SST racing, trying to figure out the trophy truck and racing for max.   Way too much stuff going on.  

It’s the life of racing. Get spread thin, overlook something that never gives you problems, get bit in the azz! My buddy goes through that cycle with his son racing 3 cars.

Nice to hear they moved the door latch bracket thing a ma jig so that it points outwards instead of towards the back of the car. I know I hit it trying to get in the back seats at the SSSS and it FREAKING HURT!!! 

Also RG said the car that went to the Dakar race blew transmission seals. So they’ve worked something out to make them easier to access and change.  

im thinking still another 60 days as Todd mentioned before hitting the green light.  Just some of the highlights from tonight’s show.  Oh and the car comes pre-wired in case you decide to add the Kicker sound system later so plug and play. That’s cool for those who got to have their sounds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why at this point, don't they at least say this is the date we are shooting for....or are they just gunshy at this point?  I want to see them succeed as much as anyone but just be honest with what you have in your head.  

Why at this point, don't they at least say this is the date we are shooting for....or are they just gunshy at this point?  I want to see them succeed as much as anyone but just be honest with what you have in your head.  
I think they're gunshy, and it revolves around how people "mishear" stuff. I've seen quite a few people claim they were promised a car on such and such date, but that's what they interpreted they heard. The truth is, they never promised any date, in the strictest sense of promise.

I don't blame RG and TR. I really thought they would have at least a few production cars built before Jan 1 based on when they said they were building 10 pre-prod cars back in May. So rather than make projections, or give dates and then disappointing someone at some point, it's better to just report current progress and not make any projections or give people a reason to misinterpret anything. Just like Thanksgiving dinner, it will be done when it's done.

I learned the hard way going into the kitchen and bugging mom about dinner would just get me whacked with the cast iron pan she wasn't cooking with.

:lol:

I think they're gunshy, and it revolves around how people "mishear" stuff. I've seen quite a few people claim they were promised a car on such and such date, but that's what they interpreted they heard. The truth is, they never promised any date, in the strictest sense of promise.

I don't blame RG and TR. I really thought they would have at least a few production cars built before Jan 1 based on when they said they were building 10 pre-prod cars back in May. So rather than make projections, or give dates and then disappointing someone at some point, it's better to just report current progress and not make any projections or give people a reason to misinterpret anything. Just like Thanksgiving dinner, it will be done when it's done.

I learned the hard way going into the kitchen and bugging mom about dinner would just get me whacked with the cast iron pan she wasn't cooking with.

:lol:
They seem to hint at stuff, but I agree there is no way they will give out dates for production or when they think production will start. 

What I gathered from the show last night is they are still making some changes in order to make serviceability better and also to make the production line more efficient.  Sounds like they are still finalizing the production line process.  

Back