Speed UTV

is it just me or are these cars looking more like buggies
Definitely.  I suppose it's good for proving drivetrain, but as they move further and further from the frame/suspension of the SxS they were based on, the less it'll interest me and the less racing will be a testbed for non-drivetrain components.  Interesting to hear RG and the Speed were a non-finisher, hopefully we get to find out what failed! 

-TJ

.. definately the categories (buggy vs. SXS) are continue to 'merge.' I hated Rhinos, etc. Anytime you can smoke a SXS on a quad made me think they were kinda silly. Obviously, I've flipped a 180, but I sure miss the V8.

... oh and seems the pricing is merging as well 😬.

... if/when the Speed gets finished, should be best bang for the buck. Pro R all tricked out.. Geez..  $75k?

abc

PS. I thought maybe they 'banned' buff. 

Definitely.  I suppose it's good for proving drivetrain, but as they move further and further from the frame/suspension of the SxS they were based on, the less it'll interest me and the less racing will be a testbed for non-drivetrain components.  Interesting to hear RG and the Speed were a non-finisher, hopefully we get to find out what failed! 

-TJ
Max was in the Wildcat XX with the Speed stuff on it.  Probably a lack of race prep was the cause of the DNF.

Phil Blurton’s car uses a lot of Can Am parts.  

The Redland Racing Polaris has a motor and front fascia.  Otherwise it is all custom and why it is in the unlimited  class.

I wonder how Mitch Guthrie did in his Pro R

Max was in the Wildcat XX with the Speed stuff on it.  Probably a lack of race prep was the cause of the DNF.
In qualifying Max’s XX kept going into limp mode. Engine and electronics are not Speed. Don’t know if they even started the race.

Suspension only Speed related  items on his XX. 

Any further info on what happened to the one that went to the Dakar?

Any further info on what happened to the one that went to the Dakar?
From what I was able to gather maybe something was lost in translation from Portuguese  

The main problem was the crankshaft retainer, causing oil leakage in the gearbox and starter motor problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
.. definately the categories (buggy vs. SXS) are continue to 'merge.' I hated Rhinos, etc. Anytime you can smoke a SXS on a quad made me think they were kinda silly. Obviously, I've flipped a 180, but I sure miss the V8.

... oh and seems the pricing is merging as well 😬.

... if/when the Speed gets finished, should be best bang for the buck. Pro R all tricked out.. Geez..  $75k?

abc

PS. I thought maybe they 'banned' buff. 
When the first RZR came out I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I almost bought one and it would have taken every penny I had saved. Then I saw how they performed. Glad I didn't buy one. They were pathetic. Friggin shopping carts. And so began my love/hate relationship with side by sides. I did know a guy that put a turbo on his around 2010 maybe. Made a big difference but the thing still sucked. 

Well.. ABC tapped out on the now obsolete Turbo S Velocity.. $45k in (each)..have 2 of 'em...  for a CVT driven 2 cylinder 925cc Turbo (does have great suspension/travel) .. but .. frankly is pretty absurd.. I don't even own a single car/truck/TH that is worth as much as 1 of these damn things.. just hope it holds up.. 

... when I FOLD it up!!..  :rofl:

... NO MORE... I bow out.. 

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
In qualifying Max’s XX kept going into limp mode. Engine and electronics are not Speed. Don’t know if they even started the race.

Suspension only Speed related  items on his XX. 
Engine is the Yamaha, which are pretty reliable.  Bummer for Max not having a running car.  

From what I was able to gather maybe something was lost in translation from Portuguese  

The main problem was the crankshaft retainer, causing oil leakage in the gearbox and starter motor problems.
That is not good.  Wonder what generation of engine improvements were in that car. 

That is not good.  Wonder what generation of engine improvements were in that car. 
I think that was the previous version with the steel liners in it. Who knows if it was assembly error, or a parts failure or if they've changed to a better part. 

If I was that racer, I'd be VERY disappointed to travel that far and have something like that happen. I bet that was an expensive racing effort.

Nice! Looks like things are moving along!

I recall in previous posts people were talking about supply chain issues. I really don't know how Speed UTV is handling it, but the supply chain problems are not affecting everyone equally. Tesla delivered 936,172 vehicles, over 308,000 in Q4 alone - meaning hey increased production in every quarter of 2021. Of course EVs use more electronics than regular cars, so they must be doing something right. The stock market responded to Tesla beating predictions by 20%, the stock went up.

As far as the welds shown in those pics and video, they look good enough to me. You can't see weld penetration or the heat affected zone just by looking for a stack of dimes, that's just an appearance thing that the public likes.

Also, I was surprised to see in close up pics of a Geiser Bros. X3 racing trailing arm that they don't fully weld everywhere. In a mounting spud, they only weld the bottom half to the arm, the top half isn't welded. It looked to me like all of the welds on that video ran all the way around and full length of all mating surfaces.

Back