Speed UTV

But this thread is about the speed utv, so maybe lets talk about that car instead of gayzers and canned ham's. 

I would bet anyone, any amount of money, anytime that poo-poo has a real tranny, and we will see it soon, possibly next model year.  The only reason we are seeing a cvt on the Pro R is to keep the masses hungry.  That motor and platform was designed for a tranny.  
$10k no "real" trans in the '22 model year?  "Real" as defined by a syncro or dog shifted manual transmission with no CVT component. 

-TJ

Once you get into "real transmission", then you are back at why I sold my Alumicraft to buy, errrrrrrr, put a deposit down, on a Speed UTV. I don't want to deal with a transaxle anymore. I got tired of a 10k repair cost looming over my head. 

I am a Baja/Desert guy. There was/is NO better car for what I like to do than an Alumicraft. But I choose simple and cheap. 

SxS = Simple/cheap

Transaxle/bid CV's/Big HP/big, big, big = $$$$ 

Believe RG said the same thing at the ~52:40 mark of the video I just posted. I don’t think he believes it though. 😆
Maybe he's reading this thread....?

Jaw-Dropping-OMG-Owl-Turns-Its-Head.gif

Once you get into "real transmission", then you are back at why I sold my Alumicraft to buy, errrrrrrr, put a deposit down, on a Speed UTV. I don't want to deal with a transaxle anymore. I got tired of a 10k repair cost looming over my head. 

I am a Baja/Desert guy. There was/is NO better car for what I like to do than an Alumicraft. But I choose simple and cheap. 

SxS = Simple/cheap

I would think a mass-produced and fully engineered for the vehicle and engine transaxle would be a lot more reliable.  Not like Honda and Yamaha are having trans failures left and right (or at least any worse than hard part failures on CVT models) as far as I can tell.  I mean, hell, 99% of the buggies out there have hard-mounted (stressed) transaxles, but I doubt anyone did the FEA on everything to see if the chassis was pulling gearstacks apart.  While that may not be specifically why transaxles fail in buggies, the point is anything you buy from a manufacturer (even Polaris), regardless of transaxle type, will have the expectation of reliability and reasonable repair costs.  

Last edited by a moderator:

SxS = Simple/cheap

I agree.  The whole point of a SXS is the easy maintenance and lower repair bills if it breaks.  If someone wants a "real" transmission then just go buy a sandrail or desert car.  

Maybe he's reading this thread....?

View attachment 22497

I would think a mass-produced and fully engineered for the vehicle and engine transaxle would be a lot more reliable.  Not like Honda and Yamaha are having trans failures left and right (or at least any worse than hard part failures on CVT models) as far as I can tell.  I mean, hell, 99% of the buggies out there have hard-mounted (stressed) transaxles, but I doubt anyone did the FEA on everything to see if the chassis was pulling gearstacks apart.  While that may not be specifically why transaxles fail in buggies, the point is anything you buy from a manufacturer (even Polaris), regardless of transaxle type, will have the expectation of reliability and reasonable repair costs.  
I think the difference is transmission vs transaxle. Yamaha has divorced diffs and divorced transmission (I haven't looked closely at Honda but probably the same) all sharing power through driveshafts. I have always believed that transferring a lot of power/torque through a single case that contains both the transmission and differential is what increases the probability of failure or atleast increases the cost of said failure because the final drive shares the case with the transmission. Fixing just a diff or just a transmission is usually less costly and easier than going through a whole transaxle because a diff failure trashed the transmission parts or trans failure consequently took out the diff

I think the difference is transmission vs transaxle. Yamaha has divorced diffs and divorced transmission (I haven't looked closely at Honda but probably the same) all sharing power through driveshafts. I have always believed that transferring a lot of power/torque through a single case that contains both the transmission and differential is what increases the probability of failure or atleast increases the cost of said failure because the final drive shares the case with the transmission. Fixing just a diff or just a transmission is usually less costly and easier than going through a whole transaxle because a diff failure trashed the transmission parts or trans failure consequently took out the diff
Not to mention 2 diffs/R&Ps sharing the load vs 1.  But yeah, engineering (and repairing) something to handle both types of gears (and loading) in a transaxle isn't easy, hence the prices involved for these low-production units.

Not to mention 2 diffs/R&Ps sharing the load vs 1.  But yeah, engineering something to handle both types of gears in a transaxle isn't easy.
A transaxle is pretty much the only option for rear engine unless you're Honda or Yamaha. As far as being engineered for the specific vehicle, a stock yxz has about 100hp. The gytr turbo kit from Yamaha adds about 50%. Maybe Yamaha anticipated the addition of the turbo when they engineered the transmission but there's guys putting a lot more than that through that little tranny. I saw a guy over on Gecko that stuffed a 4cyl (maybe a Honda engine) with a big ass turbo into his yxz. He was claiming 500+ hp with the stock tranny. He did have a Packard diff (I was there buying his old stock diff) But there's no other way unless you chop up the frame and put in a transaxle.

A transaxle is pretty much the only option for rear engine unless you're Honda or Yamaha. As far as being engineered for the specific vehicle, a stock yxz has about 100hp. The gytr turbo kit from Yamaha adds about 50%. Maybe Yamaha anticipated the addition of the turbo when they engineered the transmission but there's guys putting a lot more than that through that little tranny. I saw a guy over on Gecko that stuffed a 4cyl (maybe a Honda engine) with a big ass turbo into his yxz. He was claiming 500+ hp with the stock tranny. He did have a Packard diff (I was there buying his old stock diff) But there's no other way unless you chop up the frame and put in a transaxle.
There are lots of Yamaha's putting out a lot of hp running around.  I think most beef up the transmission to handle the higher hp.    I will say that Yamaha transmission will handle a good amount of abuse.  My friend wrings the piss out of his shift constantly trying to keep up in the dunes.

I take it no show this week with Max and RG racing the Wildcat XX at Parker this weekend. 

Has anyone heard anything about a release or talk of it being released. almost dirt season and I need a 4 seater for the family.

Has anyone heard anything about a release or talk of it being released. almost dirt season and I need a 4 seater for the family.
Almost dirt season? It's been dirt season!

Dealers are struggling to stock RZR's and X3's but they are taking orders if you need a new toy.

I was talking with a couple racers and fab guys last weekend. They said that the Speed UTV is in a holding pattern right now and also said something about backing out of the Havasu shop. I guess we will see.

If you need a family 4 seater I would suggest picking up a used unit or go see if any dealers have something in stock.  Otherwise I would not hold out for your Speed UTV for this dirt season.  Especially if you have a higher ticket number.  

It takes 28,000 or so parts to make up a complete Speed UTV.  Just think how many parts they have to stock pile to produce 100 units.  That is 2.8 million parts they have to stock pile.  Plus whatever accessories the person added to the order. 

Can Am and Polaris are having difficulty stock piling enough parts and have been shipping incomplete units to dealers.   If the big boys are having major supply issues, I just don't see how Speed UTV avoids it.     

Covid supply chain issues have screwed everyone.  

If you need a family 4 seater I would suggest picking up a used unit or go see if any dealers have something in stock.  Otherwise I would not hold out for your Speed UTV for this dirt season.  Especially if you have a higher ticket number.  

It takes 28,000 or so parts to make up a complete Speed UTV.  Just think how many parts they have to stock pile to produce 100 units.  That is 2.8 million parts they have to stock pile.  Plus whatever accessories the person added to the order. 

Can Am and Polaris are having difficulty stock piling enough parts and have been shipping incomplete units to dealers.   If the big boys are having major supply issues, I just don't see how Speed UTV avoids it.     

Covid supply chain issues have screwed everyone.  
But if you have inventory….…. 

…. it’s making some of us rich(er)…

🧟‍♂️🤦‍♂️😬💵🤔👩‍🦼🌈🔥🏕

Lol I will just pick up a used scs to make her happy. And sit and wait.

Back