Speed Cars

Overheating: has anyone tried removing this shroud:

View attachment 93795

The offset is a little worrying since a lot of a fans airflow doesn't go straight back, but a lot gets flung out to the sides.  Not sure what ducting is used to seal the fans to the radiator as well, but depending on how this shroud is built, could be recycling air or stalling some of it.
My understanding is the overheating issue is really an issue with the windshield. When I was driving mine you can feel the radiator heat getting swirled back into the cab and essentially back over the radiator. I believe they are releasing the rear windshield today to block the fan heat from being circulated back into the cab. Is anyone experiencing overheating if they don’t have a windshield? 

My understanding is the overheating issue is really an issue with the windshield. When I was driving mine you can feel the radiator heat getting swirled back into the cab and essentially back over the radiator. I believe they are releasing the rear windshield today to block the fan heat from being circulated back into the cab. Is anyone experiencing overheating if they don’t have a windshield? 
Correct, but if you’re blocking exit air from the radiator, you’re reducing the fan’s efficiency. Plenty of guys running windshields and small XJ radiators on buggies with much more powerful engines, no issue.

I ran my car last year in 105 weather, on a 50 mile ride, no issues overheating at all withOUT my windshield in.

Correct, but if you’re blocking exit air from the radiator, you’re reducing the fan’s efficiency. Plenty of guys running windshields and small XJ radiators on buggies with much more powerful engines, no issue.
I think the new rear windshield doesn’t block the fan or radiator at all. It just stops the fan heat from recirculating back into the cab. 

I think the new rear windshield doesn’t block the fan or radiator at all. It just stops the fan heat from recirculating back into the cab. 
I’m talking about the rear shroud on the radiator reducing fan efficiency. Might be worth removing to see.

I’m talking about the rear shroud on the radiator reducing fan efficiency. Might be worth removing to see.
Oh ok, I thought the only overheating issue was related to the fact that when the windshield gets installed it causes all the heat from the fans to recirculate back into the cab and push hot air over the radiator. When you are driving the car it basically feels like there is no airflow and a heater is on your back. 

Oh ok, I thought the only overheating issue was related to the fact that when the windshield gets installed it causes all the heat from the fans to recirculate back into the cab and push hot air over the radiator. When you are driving the car it basically feels like there is no airflow and a heater is on your back. 
I thought the whole point of the roof vent/scoop is to fix this.  I wonder if it just needs to be taller/more aggressive? 

-TJ

I thought the whole point of the roof vent/scoop is to fix this.  I wonder if it just needs to be taller/more aggressive? 

-TJ
I suggested maybe cutting out the honeycomb of the opening on another site and got ripped apart.  I personally think if you made something to go from the fan down close to the radiator core it would pull the air better through.  Got blasted for that also. 

-TJ
From what I understand that is not the case. The windshield was a total after the fact thing that Robby wanted nothing to do with because he knew there was going to be issues with the current design. It does look like the rear windshield solves the issue though. 

From what I understand that is not the case. The windshield was a total after the fact thing that Robby wanted nothing to do with because he knew there was going to be issues with the current design. It does look like the rear windshield solves the issue though. 
Interesting... the rear windshield solves *both* the heat you experience inside and the overheating, or just the former? 

-TJ

Interesting... the rear windshield solves *both* the heat you experience inside and the overheating, or just the former? 

-TJ
It’s supposed to solve both. It blocks the heat from re entering the cab and just sitting there. 

It’s supposed to solve both. It blocks the heat from re entering the cab and just sitting there. 
So far it hasn't solved the overheating issue, I've seen people report it dropping a few degrees, but it's not solved.

So far it hasn't solved the overheating issue, I've seen people report it dropping a few degrees, but it's not solved.
Oh ok, I thought it hasn’t been released yet. I know that if I am bombing the desert with a helmet on that windshield is coming off. Maybe it’s not something I need to worry about. 

Oh ok, I thought it hasn’t been released yet. I know that if I am bombing the desert with a helmet on that windshield is coming off. Maybe it’s not something I need to worry about. 
There are several people out there with rear window's installed, some are using the Vent racing, some modified the XX rear window, and there has even been a couple glass ones made.

None have completely solved the issue yet.

For sure... I've only had one SxS with a windshield but it had a wiper.  Without the wiper it would have been useless for fast running in dust, mud, rain, snow etc.  Putting along on a booze cruise in a flatbill and shades, sure it's not too bad and you can wipe it down at every banquet break.  But running hard, and for prolonged periods no way a windshield without a wiper works out.  

-TJ

I assume that the loss of airflow through the windshield means it’s depending on the fans more. Fans that have their outlets choked airflow wise. I assume it’s 30 minutes to find out if it doesn’t work.

The windshield also creates a wake that probably allows the inefficient radiator shrouding to backfeed the cab and recirculate hot air, but this is less of a concern since the temp difference between air and coolant should still be fairly high.

I haven’t seen the front of the radiator, but it does look fairly blocked off since it’s low in the car. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure... I've only had one SxS with a windshield but it had a wiper.  Without the wiper it would have been useless for fast running in dust, mud, rain, snow etc.  Putting along on a booze cruise in a flatbill and shades, sure it's not too bad and you can wipe it down at every banquet break.  But running hard, and for prolonged periods no way a windshield without a wiper works out.  

-TJ
Unless you are in front….

I assume that the loss of airflow through the windshield means it’s depending on the fans more. Fans that have their outlets choked airflow wise. I assume it’s 30 minutes to find out if it doesn’t work.

The windshield also creates a wake that probably allows the inefficient radiator shrouding to backfeed the cab and recirculate hot air, but this is less of a concern since the temp difference between air and coolant should still be fairly high.

I haven’t seen the front of the radiator, but it does look fairly blocked off since it’s low in the car. 
There is the front 

IMG_7204.jpeg

You can help me re-engineer my cooling system on mine!  I need to look into the better fans that aren't insane $ and some shroud mods, probably. 

Unless you are in front….
Honestly, even in front when I had Clay's Z1 car it was an issue.  The front tires on these super-wide SxSs sit far enough forward, and out wide enough that they throw stuff (even dust) onto your own windshield. 

-TJ

Back