Rockwood's XJ

Want to borrow my 4’ brake to make a blister?
I have a 28” brake that should be big enough. I keep waffling back and forth on just buying a fiberglass one, and making one.

i think one or more of the vacuum pods are going out now...  doors are not opening like they should....
Put a Mityvac on the main hose to test it?

I only drive it one day a week so.....  lazy as eff....  it still comes out just not where I told it too....  LOL 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_3753.jpegIMG_3751.jpeg

Frankenstein lines complete thanks to @Sausage450r’s welding skills.

What you’re looking at there is GM hardlines cut off and welded to a new Jeep XJ hose set. Step 1 was to cut the brand new lines apart (they’re married at the compressor), then sit and stare and rob every fitting from the donor car until I had something that works. GM luckily uses the same connection on everything charge/suction side, so I cut them all off and guess/checked until I had a combo that works. 

Next steps are to wire the H/L pressure switches in line with the compressor’s clutch into the cab. Original plan was to re-use the stock XJ controls, but I’ve never liked the way you can only have AC on certain settings, and no AC on others. New plan is to wire a separate switch through those pressure switches, then to a relay to control the compressor. Now I’ll be able to run the defroster without AC!

Gonna finish the wiring tomorrow, then vacuum/charge it Tuesday, and hopefully freeze my balls off Wednesday. 

Update on my 650w Z06 fan for cooling. Big Bear had record temps everywhere. Mid 90s at 8,000’ with the AC on stun type situation, which definitely isn't easy on cooling. Even harder was my buddy’s LJ on tons/40s (easily 5k lbs) chit the bed and had to drag him back up the mountain on a dirt road as well.

Despite the smaller radiator and the Jeep-shaped anchor, max temps hit 208*. Fan was at full tilt since the PWM controller always adds 50% duty cycle with AC on, but never let me down.

Win.

Amusingly, we swapped out his entire cooling system (pump, temp sender, fan clutch, radiator, thermostat and housing) up there to fix it.  Not sure what the problem was, but since we had it all apart, might as well.  Ran cool all weekend after that.

I drove it for some action shots since it's a build we're doing on MotoIQ.  I forgot how sloooooooooooooooooooow a 4.0 was.

Double amusingly: he's the one who gave me the Z06 fan on my Jeep.  GM sent him one, but his C7 already had the larger 600w fan.

If you're interested in the build:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back