Rockwood's XJ

Don't forget that V-tec hit yo.... :dunerdude:
3msob2.gif

Even without boost, still 50-70hp (in swap trim) and 20lb-ft with a much wider powerband over a new 4L. 

Oh, and probably 150lbs lighter. Lol.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree (remember, I did have a J35 A4 4 seat buggy as my first rail...) but just figured it'd be one of those "well if I'm going to swap the damn thing... have to at least make 300HP..." deals. 

-TJ

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree (remember, I did have a J35 A4 4 seat buggy as my first rail...) but just figured it'd be one of those "well if I'm going to swap the damn thing... have to at least make 300HP..." deals. 

-TJ
To further derail this....

I did a swap on a Funco from a turbo subi (2.0 it think) to a NA 3.5J.  The owner did hub dynos before and after at the same place.  The subi did like 219.  The Honda did 265, through a 091.  The 245 Honda tags it with is terribly under rated.

I did a swap on a Funco from a turbo subi (2.0 it think) to a NA 3.5J.  The owner did hub dynos before and after at the same place.  The subi did like 219.  The Honda did 265, through a 091.  The 245 Honda tags it with is terribly under rated.
It’s worthy discussion, F it. 

J35 is really good. J32, not a fan. 

Atlas and super duty axles next?
Maaaaybe? It’s a 4-door XJ, so 37s are the max before stupid shet needs to happen to the body and the gas tank ends up in the trunk. 

We shall see. If anything, I might do a 1G Super Duty Dana 50/Sterling swap because you can shave the 50’s housing down to near D30 clearance. 

Bought all the tools to DIY regears, so at least failure repairs won’t be terrible cost wise. 

So, why not go LS1/6 intake and accessory drive so you don't have to cut the hood?

So, why not go LS1/6 intake and accessory drive so you don't have to cut the hood?
Would’ve had to buy chit, mainly. Lol

That, and I believe the alternator and PS pump is stronger…?

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas and super duty axles next?
Maaaaybe? It’s a 4-door XJ, so 37s are the max before stupid shet needs to happen to the body and the gas tank ends up in the trunk. 

We shall see. If anything, I might do a 1G Super Duty Dana 50/Sterling swap because you can shave the 50’s housing down to near D30 clearance. 

Bought all the tools to DIY regears, so at least failure repairs won’t be terrible cost wise. 
A well setup XJ on 37s will mob nearly everything you would want to reasonably do.  And, chit you might not..

Is it cool to say "it's on tons and 40s, bro"?  Sure.

If you "need" to go with a larger tire you end up doing chit that HEAVILY raises the risk of body damage.  No thanks.  Changes it's utility for me too.  Do I wanna hit some trails and cruise back to town for a beer and a steak, or bang rocks and tow it everywhere?  Pretty sure Steve is on the steak side too..

I took my LJ to Hammers this year and went everywhere a spectator like myself needed.  It's lifted on 35s.  Limited slip in the rear and lunch box locker up front.  But, I did the 2low kit on it.  I did nearly the whole week in 2low.  The only time I really need 4wd was crawling through the parked rigs on rock chit when getting blocked in on Chocolate.

MY XJ is already on long arms.  It will be a touch more aggressive then my LJ when I get around to doing it.  37/38s, 60s/50/Sterlings.. Fenders are already trimmed way back, but I won't cut into the body. I'm not interested in doing a full coil over conversion on it.  My wife want's to make a halfazzed overlander out of it....sleep in the back...mine's 2dr...6'+ hatch to front seats.  Slide out kitchen stuff.

Anyway...burnout vids next?

My J35 A4 that was well worn (later investigation showed it had been turbo at some point... things like a plugged oil return welded into the pan etc.) did 236 RWHP (and I think the same RWTQ) or something like that through the 091 with an AEM on it.  

-TJ

2 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

Total thread hijack, since I guess I don't have a thread on my WJ.  More unibody Heep motor-swap content:

So fukin rowdy.

image.jpegWiring tucked away. LS fuse block is behind the kick panel, OBDII port in the stock Jeep spot, LS MIL in the stock Jeep cluster. Need to get the LS ECM’s fan turn on temp for the AUX fan raised. Turns on when the thermostat opens currently. Also need to reprogram the tach output mode so it will interface as a “crank position sensor” for the Jeep’s ECU and make the tach and AC work like factory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A well setup XJ on 37s will mob nearly everything you would want to reasonably do.  And, chit you might not..

MY XJ is already on long arms.  It will be a touch more aggressive then my LJ when I get around to doing it.  37/38s, 60s/50/Sterlings.. Fenders are already trimmed way back, but I won't cut into the body. I'm not interested in doing a full coil over conversion on it.  My wife want's to make a halfazzed overlander out of it....sleep in the back...mine's 2dr...6'+ hatch to front seats.  Slide out kitchen stuff.

Anyway...burnout vids next?
Is that the same 2 door you had for sale forever?  If so, can't believe you still have it, it's a nice rig.

Reading the motor swap info gives me a headache.  I'm happy with my little 400k mile 4.slow.  

Reading the motor swap info gives me a headache.  I'm happy with my little 400k mile 4.slow.  
Haha, same.  Though with the WJ finally coming together I'm selling my XJ.  The 4.0 has the usual 4.0 tick (despite a new-ish head etc.).  So of course I've been looking at that nice Edelbrock  head... and nice cam/lifter/rockers... and 4.6 strokers... and...

-TJ

Haha, same.  Though with the WJ finally coming together I'm selling my XJ.  The 4.0 has the usual 4.0 tick (despite a new-ish head etc.).  So of course I've been looking at that nice Edelbrock  head... and nice cam/lifter/rockers... and 4.6 strokers... and...

-TJ
Don't do it TJ .... lol

Back